2011/2012 Scottish Football Thread

David

You think there would be 110,000 football fans in Glasgow who would support the old firm without the religious aspect to it?

OK, so maybe within that 110,000 there is a percentage that would not be there without the religious aspect but to suggest combined crowds of less than 25,000 is ludicrous.

Glasgow is a football city. 150,000 used to turn up for Scotland games, 130,000 watched Madrid against Frankfurt, sell outs for the Champions League and UEFA Cup Finals.

Until recently the only city with three 50,000 plus all seater football stadiums in the world.

Clyde's record attendance if 50,000 plus. A lack of success killed that off.

Partick Thistle's recored attendance is 49,000. A lack of success killed that.

Queens Park even have a record attendance of 95,000. A lack of success killed that.

The reason why Celtic and Rangers are so popular is success and history. Success cemented that fans and history has seen it passed down through the decades.

Sectarianism didn't keep the fans at Parkhead in 1994 when they were going to the wall. Success brought them back.

Same story with Rangers a decade earlier.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Celtic & Rangers support was built on the Catholic & Protestant divide. That can't be denied.

What can be denied is your lazy assertion that Catholic and Protestant roots equates to 'sectarianism', or at least your interpretation of it. I presume you mean plain old bigotry.

Take Celtic; You're an Irish Catholic immigrant in Scotland in the late nineteenth, early twentieth century. Most of the country is hostile towards you, footballing organisations aren't exactly hospitable. But in amongst that you have three senior clubs that welcome your type and to whom you are likely to have some affinity with. One in Glasgow, one in Edinburgh and one in Dundee. You settle in Glasgow or surrounding areas like the vast majority of the Irish diaspora in Scotland. It doesn't take a genius to figure what the natural choice of club for that majority is going to be.

So you have a large following, almost entirely made up of Irish Catholic immigrants. Support = money = success. Success breeds success and more support, and it's easy to see how a club can grow in stature and popularity. From there, i'm sure I don't have to explain to you how much of an influence older generations have on younger fans. In most cases, kids will follow in the footsteps of their fathers and grandfathers, so it's not difficult to see why there's such a large support from the Catholic/Irish community today. Even though the prejudice and discrimination is largely gone, support still passes down the generations just like with every other club, it's entirely normal and natural.

You could say it's sectarian by definition......but in a whole different sense to the sinister nature in which you're attempting to imply it as being, and a whole lot more complex.

It's nothing but ignorant bullshit from someone who should know better if you do indeed have Irish roots. Celtic's history and reasons for becoming the giants they are today are perfectly legitimate and something which the fans are rightly proud of.

Scottish Premier League chief executive Neil Doncaster says Rangers' Champions League exit will badly effect the finances of all his member clubs.

Rangers lost 2-1 on aggregate to Malmo in the third qualifying round.

"With a team in the group stages of the Champions League, that meant much larger solidarity payments from Uefa for all of our clubs," said Doncaster.

"With Rangers now going into the play-offs for the Europa League, that means less money for the rest of our clubs."

Rangers earned just over 17m euros from their participation in the Champions League in season 2009/10.

That was without winning a single match and last season's earnings would have been even greater given their improved performance in reaching the last 16.

However, this time they fell at the same hurdle as Celtic did last season.

"It's certainly a huge disappointment for Rangers fans, but it also has an impact on the whole of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League as well," Doncaster told BBC Radio 5 live.

The chief executive admitted that financial backing held back Scottish clubs but stressed that his league was able to hold its own with those from similar sized countries in Europe.

"There is still a lot to look forward with Rangers and Celtic still in the play-offs and Hearts in Europa League action as well," said Doncaster.

"Money is a key part, but relative to the rest of the Europe, we go back to two Champions League places next year because our European coefficient has gone up since last year.

"We've got players like David Goodwillie, who has just signed with Blackburn - he is clearly a bright young talent going for a multi-million pound sum."

Doncaster stressed that, like many other leagues, it was inevitable that the best players would eventually move up to a higher level, with the Premier League in England being a particular attraction because of the English language.

Meanwhile, Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor refused to single out Steven Whittaker and Madjid Bougherra for blame after the defenders were both sent off against Malmo in Wednesday's second leg.

Asked if he was disappointed in the pair, the Scotland international said: "I don't know if disappointed is the right word. I'm disappointed how it worked out.

"It was one factor. I think there was probably a few other factors as well, but that was definitely one.

"Of course we're frustrated because we're not in the Champions League, but the boys did put a great shift in, started really well.

"It's just unfortunate what happened, but there's nothing much you can do about it."

Kindly go and fuck yourself Mr Doncaster.

• Paid Members
Some? He's a pompous cunt who's done nothing good for our game except wheel out excuses.

This. He's always been complete turd wherever he's been, choosing to wheel out excuses rather than knuckle down and try and solve a problem. I felt sorry for Scottish football when he took over his position, I feel even sorrier for them now. The question is how on earth did he get appointed in the first place? Surely nepotism?

Why? Is he lying?

No. But we've held up Scotland's coeffiecents on our own in the last few seasons and never heard anything from him, but the second we get put out he's in the press about it. I think I speak for most other fans of every other team here, the only team I care about is the team I support, I couldn't care less that our defeat last night fucked Scotland's coeffiecent. I only care about the fact we're out. Plus we have the possibility of 3 Scottish teams being in the Europa League group stages for the first time ever.

In other news, Kyle Bartley has signed with us for a season loan. Awesome news, showed more hunger and desire in 3 months than Bougherra has in the last year. Cheerio Boughie.

2w7gxfn.gif

• Paid Members

Would not be surprised if he ends up signing at the end of this year think he is a better defensive mid then center back. Would like to see another center back come in any news on Juhazs (spelling?) Ally?, Sounds like Carlos is not coming as well.

No. But we've held up Scotland's coeffiecents on our own in the last few seasons and never heard anything from him, but the second we get put out he's in the press about it. I think I speak for most other fans of every other team here, the only team I care about is the team I support, I couldn't care less that our defeat last night fucked Scotland's coeffiecent. I only care about the fact we're out. Plus we have the possibility of 3 Scottish teams being in the Europa League group stages for the first time ever.

Held it up? Automatic qualification gave you the majority of your coefficient points. As I said the other day you only have one win in three and a bit years in Europe.

You say you only care about the team you support but if you truly care for them then surely you would prefer automatic qualification to having to play qualifiers? The only way that happens is through other teams helping keep the coefficient up. Had that happened you might not be out.

The Old Firm alliance could never last. One day was enough.

-

-------------------------------------------

EDIT - Pre draw for the Europa League has been done. Good luck Hearts

Celtic v one of these Nacional(POR), Sion(SUI), Litex Lovech(BUL), SV Ried(AUT), Rabotnicki(MKD),

Is that Atletico Madrid?

Sounds more like Bilbao, I think they call themselves Athletic Club. Mcgeady at Tynecastle would get a nice reception.

Cogitoergozomo, if you'd rather your rivals won in Europe to give the nation more coefficient points, I reckon you'll be in a tiny minority. I've never met anyone from either side who feels that way, only folk on phone-ins.

And Ally, you' still haven't noticed your howler on the last page :p

Archived