promotion wars

wwffan2

Thanks.

Relevant...

Yeah this was too my first wrestling sim, wasn't too realistic but I did spend a fair few hours on it back in 2002 I believe! Couldn't get into EWR (if that's what it was called?) however...

I can't remember if I ever played it, but I did have it. It came out about the same time as those old Dos Extreme Warfare games (which coincided with when I first got Internet access), but it looked more like Extreme Warfare Revenge. Something stopped it playing on the Pentium 133 I had, it might have been that the resolution meant the button to start a new game was off the screen or something. I'm sure I sorted it out eventually, and I later played EWR on that same computer, but I can't recall the specifics of Promotion Wars at all.

I can't remember if I ever played it, but I did have it. It came out about the same time as those old Dos Extreme Warfare games (which coincided with when I first got Internet access), but it looked more like Extreme Warfare Revenge. Something stopped it playing on the Pentium 133 I had, it might have been that the resolution meant the button to start a new game was off the screen or something. I'm sure I sorted it out eventually, and I later played EWR on that same computer, but I can't recall the specifics of Promotion Wars at all.

promotion Wars 1.0 (October 7th 2000)

Started in January 2000, Promotion Wars was uploaded to the internet on October 7th 2000, and announced on the Extreme Warfare discussion board. It caused a wave of interest on the EW Board, who believed they had seen the last of EW, and had been given nothing but empty promises by other programmers. Promotion Wars 1.0 was never destined for the internet, and it wasn't until about 70% into the game that I started considering the possibility. Then came the problem of getting it onto the internet, which was solved after several different attempts. PW 1.0 looked different to all the other PW's. It had a white background, and looked pretty ugly. The font which I had used was not on a lot of people's computers, so their computer was replacing it with a bigger one, thus hiding some of the text and increasing the ugliness. But the features were a big step up from WFM. The matches now had commentary, using a mix of Championship Manager and Extreme Warfare influences. There were now a selection of venues to choose from, which was an idea taken from EW. TV ratings were now the actual numbers instead of a percentage. In general, the game was written specifically around WWF and WCW. The signing of wrestlers, and the training camp, were carried across and modified slightly from WFM. Commentaters were dropped from PW1.0 after repeated 'Out of Memory' messages.

I used to play EWR all the time, I haven't had it for years since changing my computer, anyone got a link where I can download the latest version?

I've just downloaded Promotion Wars though, one of my mates used to play it so I'll take a look and see what it's like, thanks for the link.

Archived