WWE DVD's on LoveFilm

Burchill's Buddy

• Paid Members

Does anyone know of any licensing issues surrounding WWE DVD's that would prevent them being picked up by LoveFilm? There seems to be very little these days released that doesn't appear on their site (they have plenty of other wrestling titles from TNA, ITV Wrestling, Japanese Deathmatch stuff and even Backyard titles and 1PW) but beyond that no WWE. Strangely though they do stock every WWE Video game, from the latest SD vs Raw and Allstars back to WM18 on the Gamecube.

I sent them this email this morning and got the following unhelpful dumbass reply.

Hi there,

I was just wondering if there were any plans to bring WWE Wrestling DVD's to LoveFilm, I assume that the fact that smaller wrestling companies such as TNA, IPW and 1PW are represented mean it's a licensing issue rather than a lack of interest / demand?

Regards,

Mat

Dear Mat,

Thank you for your recent email. I have checked our catalogue, and we do not appear to currently have thetitle "WWE Wrestling " in stock. If you have found this title available to purchase within the UK, on a region 2 DVD format, please forward us these details, including any URL address. We can then make the necessary queries to try to obtain this title and add it to our catalogue (please bear in mind we are only able to use rental licenced copies).

We look forward to hearing from you and if you need any further help, please let us know.

If WWE came on board with Lovefilm i think it would kill their DVD market over here as it would give really no incentive for people to buy DVD's to keep. Say you buy a DVD once a month a

I'm fairly sure that most of WWE's DVD sales are solely down to oddballs who collect them, like I do with the toys. There's no reason someone would pay full price for December to Dismember or some random No Mercy DVD unless they buy every pay-per-view released on DVD.

Either way, presumably it wouldn't hurt them to have them up for rental. Have there ever been WWE titles on Lovefilm, or back when Amazon did DVD rental? I thought I'd rented a wrestling DVD at some point.

I too would love to watch WWE content via rentable or digital formats, but unfortunately it won't happen. Why? Money.

Simply put WWE won't sell DVDs to rental companies. If we all got to watch each PPV as part of a LoveFilm membership or other rental system, there will be a lot less people who will buy the WWE's (grossly) over priced DVDs.

I'm just like you... I rarely watch WWE PPVs because they are FAR to expensive, and would love to watch it via official downloadable means and / or via rent. I believe it will happen one day, but WWE it will happen with WWE kicking and screaming the entire way.

I love that stock reply you got describing WWE Wrestling as if it were one film :laugh:

Great isn't it. The sheer height of laziness. I replied giving them a url for the search "WWE" on play.com giving 550 titles.

Haha. It's a shame that most replies you get from companies like that are just by the letter company policy lines rather than someone using their brain.

• Paid Members
Either way, presumably it wouldn't hurt them to have them up for rental. Have there ever been WWE titles on Lovefilm, or back when Amazon did DVD rental? I thought I'd rented a wrestling DVD at some point.

I used to use "Tesco" DVD rental and then Amazon's version, they both did WWE DVD's. Then were swallowed up by Lovefilm.

I too would love to watch WWE content via rentable or digital formats, but unfortunately it won't happen. Why? Money.

Simply put WWE won't sell DVDs to rental companies. If we all got to watch each PPV as part of a LoveFilm membership or other rental system, there will be a lot less people who will buy the WWE's (grossly) over priced DVDs.

Doubtful. By the time a wrestling event comes out on DVD, it's meaningless to everyone except people who liked it and want to own the DVD as a souvenir/keepsake.

I used to use "Tesco" DVD rental and then Amazon's version, they both did WWE DVD's. Then were swallowed up by Lovefilm.

Yeah, I'd have thought the libraries would've come with.

I'm just like you... I rarely watch WWE PPVs because they are FAR to expensive, and would love to watch it via official downloadable means and / or via rent. I believe it will happen one day, but WWE it will happen with WWE kicking and screaming the entire way.

dont wwe.com have a archive to watch classic matches but i dont kow if they do whole ppv

• Paid Members

Doubtful. By the time a wrestling event comes out on DVD, it's meaningless to everyone except people who liked it and want to own the DVD as a souvenir/keepsake.

In the case of one off PPV's this would probably be the case, but WWE seem to be producing a hell of a lot of really good part compilation part documentary style DVD's that I assume do a lot better in terms of sales. I could see them wanting to protect these from the rental market, but one off PPVs', like you say after a month or two it's only diehard collectors that are going to be buying them at full retail surely, so why not get some more mileage out of them on the rental markets

but one off PPVs', like you say after a month or two it's only diehard collectors that are going to be buying them at full retail surely, so why not get some more mileage out of them on the rental markets

I don't think it'd do them any harm, but I couldn't see it making much money. I can't imagine anyone ever going "Oh, I'll add Unforgiven 2007 to my Lovefilm list." At this point, the only people that have any interest in that DVD and haven't already got it are completists and people who see it in a bargain shop for

Archived