The Shawn Michaels Appreciation Thread

Super Cena

It wasn't too long ago that Vince McMahon publicly praised the Showstopper for being the greatest in-ring performer that the WWE had ever seen. A quick look at the his Wrestlemania track-record shows just how capable Michaels was at being able to deliver world class performances against wrestlers, regardless of their sizes or styles (Flair, Taker, Cena, McMahon), even when the pressure was on. He's given so many people over the years the best matches of their careers that it would be near impossible to list them all. Add that to the fact that he's arguably performed in more MOTY's than any other wrestler ever and wrestled in so few 'bad' matches and you'd be forgiven for completely agreeing with Vince's point of view.

I've been watching quite a bit of Shawn Michaels' material recently after buying his most recent DVD, and the more footage I see of his, the more and more difficult I'm finding it to disagree with Vince McMahon's statement. For the first time in years, I'm genuinely doubting whether Ric Flair was actually the greatest in-ring wrestler ever. It doesn't matter which year Michaels was wrestling, you'd be certain to find at the very least a handful of world class performances that HBK delivered.

This thread is basically here to discuss your favourite Shawn Michaels matches, moments, storylines, promos, videos etc etc.

Does anybody else believe that he is the greatest in-ring performer ever?

shawnmichaels.jpg

Michaels is and always will be my favourite wrestler, and he has been since i was a kid.

Favourite Matches:

- Ladder Match vs Razor Ramon @ Summerslam 1995

- vs Steve Austin @ King of the Ring 1997

- vs Bret Hart @ Wrestlemania XII

- vs Undertaker @ Ground Zero 1997

- vs Undertaker @ Badd Blood 1997

- vs Mankind @ Mind Games 1996

- vs Triple H @ Summerslam 2002

- Ladder Match vs Chris Jericho @ Unforgiven 2008

I could go on and on.. i didnt bother mentioning his 2 Wrestlemania matches against Undertaker or the Flair retirement match as i feel they go without saying.. But my list is still only scratching the surface of good HBK matches..

As far as angles go, i loved HBK in 1997.. he started the year as a babyface regaining the title in his hometown.. and finished the year arguable the most hated man in wrestling.. i loved his transformation from returning babyface (once he found his smile) through to cocky heel partnered with HHH, Rude and Chyna.. The first incarnation of DX is stil lthe best..

I also loved his title chase and 'boyhood' dream moment in 1996.. his heel run in the early to mid 90s was also class..And The Rockers were my favourite team as a kid.. Like i say.. theres so much that could be put here..

Imo Michaels is the best that ever done it. I watched his very first match the other day on dvd and even though it was a squash with little offence you could clearly see that he was destined to be great. He has admitted to borrowing some bits from some of the all time greats to make up what the "Showstopper" is.

I always wondered why it was that Michaels grasp of in-ring psychology was sooo great compared to others and how he was able to draw you into a match, I came to find out that he has a degree in psychology so go figure! Much like Ric Flair wrestling was the ONLY thing he knew how to do. Michaels never had another job or a skill or trade to make himself a living so the way he looked at it was he had no choice but to be great at it because it was his only way of making a living.

From tags to singles he was the best that ever done it. The pharse "he could have a match with a broom and make it look good" was so right in his case. I NEVER thought I would care about a Chris Masters match but at unforgiven 05 the match Masters had with Michaels was probably the best Chris Masters will EVER look in his career and I am saying this knowing full well that Masters is young and has alot of time ahead of him.

(And on a side note Michaels was the FIRST person to break the masterlock and NOT john Cena lol)

But seriously how can one man give the business so many great moments and matches im not going to list them because we all know what they are, And even when he was hurt like at mania 14 and the first taboo tuesday. As it goes for his promos some people will say that he wasn't the best of "stick men" but I really liked some of his promos where he was blunt and straight to the point like the ones he did during his feud with Hogan, Or the ones he would do against Bret Hart, When he and Triple H were in the middle of their 02 to 04 feud. Even down to "Im going to take old yella back behind the barn and put him out of his misery." If anybody had to do that it HAD to be Shawn Michaels. If Ric Flair was billed as the greatest of all time in the 80's then Shawn Michaels had to put the bullet in old yella because he took that title off of Flair in the 90's and when it came down to doing it on march 30th 2008 he did it with a "Im sorry. I love you"

Shawn Michaels the best to ever lace up a pair of wrestling boots.

From tags to singles he was the best that ever done it. The pharse "he could have a match with a broom and make it look good" was so right in his case. I NEVER thought I would care about a Chris Masters match but at unforgiven the match Masters had with Michaels was probably the best Chris Masters will EVER look in his career and I am saying this knowing full well that Masters is young and has alot of time ahead of him.

Bad example. Masters is brilliant.

From tags to singles he was the best that ever done it. The pharse "he could have a match with a broom and make it look good" was so right in his case. I NEVER thought I would care about a Chris Masters match but at unforgiven the match Masters had with Michaels was probably the best Chris Masters will EVER look in his career and I am saying this knowing full well that Masters is young and has alot of time ahead of him.

Bad example. Masters is brilliant.

Masters may be getting some props now with his face run, but I very much doubt that he will reach upper midcard status even with his move to raw.

• Paid Members

Michaels was definitely one of the best wrestlers ever, there's no question there. His best years came from 2002 onwards in my opinion. He was the best worker in the world during that period. Flair was better than Michaels for me. I think Flair was the best wrestler ever. As much as I've tried to justify the opposite over the years, I think Flair was better than Bret Hart and the Barbarian as well. It wasnt until about a year ago I was watching a comp of Flair, and some of the matches he had were disgracefully brilliant. He had a match with El Gigante and it was actually good. EL GIGANTE! One after another, he was just blinding. from the late 70s to the early 90s, he was the worlds premier wrestler both as far as his look, his character, his promos and his ringwork. Flair had the lot. Personal life aside, Flair was the perfect wrestler. Influenced everyone, from most eras. Whether its Sting and Luger or Austin, Shawn Michaels and Jericho or Batista, Triple H and Randy Orton he's influenced many a generation of wrestlers. Michaels was great, but I think Flair was far better, in many different roles.

Archived