Great WWE moments on Smackdown

Ron Simmons

• Paid Members

On his podcast Dave Lagana mentioned that if Billy and Chuck's wedding had taken place on RAW it'd be remembered as one of the all time great WWE moments. I pretty much agree, and I think there are a lot of fantastic all-time WWE moments that have happened on Smackdown, but have simply been forgotten about.

So what do you think? Any "all time great WWE moments" on Smackdown that have been overlooked because of the brand they were on?

Vince McMahon wins the WWF Championship.

Big Show dragged away on Boss Man's coffin.

WWF Champion vs ECW Champion (Triple H vs Tazz).

Jeff Hardy wins Intercontinental Championship from Triple H.

Jericho going through the set.

Austin and Booker T fight in supermarket.

Lesnar and Big Show collapse the ring.

Randy Orton drives low-rider through set with Undertaker on it.

Batista gives up the Championship through injury and Angle wins it.

These are the best moments in my opinion after going through a list of some on WWE.com. SmackDown! used to be a fantastic show, it's still better than Raw as far as I'm concerned.

Whenever something like this comes up, the first thought in my head is always Arnie on SD! I mean Arnold Schwarzenegger on commentary and then helping stone cold, and then laying out TripleH and then celebrating in the ring with StoneCold with a cold beer, it doesnt get any better than that for me, fn awesome.

SD! was my fav show back then too, even over RAW and Nitro, I hardly missed any episode, great stuff.

• Paid Members
Lesnar and Big Show collapse the ring.

Not too sure about that one, they got an awful lot of mileage out of it and I don't think any of us watching at the time have forgotten it.

My own personal favourites :

Some kid called Randy Orton debuting, catching Stacy Keibler's eye then "upsetting" Hardcore Holly.

JBL patrolling the "Mexican border."

Brock Lesnar throwing Zack Gowen down the stairs.

"I'm just a Sexy Kurt.... I'll make your ankle hurt!"

The stunning 2/3 falls match between Benoit/Angle and Edge/Misterio match that gets forgotten compared to the first match at No Mercy.

The Matt Hardy v Misterio match where Rey Rey finally captured the then-important Cruiserweight title after a lengthy chase despite interference from Shannon Moore & Crash.

The WGTT v Misterio/Kidman rematch that gets forgotten, even though everyone remembers the Vengeance match.

On his podcast Dave Lagana mentioned that if Billy and Chuck's wedding had taken place on RAW it'd be remembered as one of the all time great WWE moments.

Don't think I agree with this, for starters. It was a clumsy angle that nobody really wanted to see featuring two moderately over midcard tag teams. The segment itself also wasn't that entertaining apart from the reveal and beatdown at the end, and in general it typified one of those best-forgotten periods when they were trying to rebrand themselves as an 'entertainment' show (what with talk of Six Feet Under and 'season premieres' and the like). The only reason it's even remembered as much as it is is because they managed to con some mainstream publicity out of GLAAD and Regis and Kathy Lee.

As regards all-time great Smackdown moments, I think it's pretty hard to beat Cactus Jack's return.A classic promo from a classic feud.

- another sorely overlooked all-time great moment.

'Sorely overlooked'? I'm legit sick of seeing that spot, its all over. Been played on WWE TV loads of times and is on several DVDs.

Edit: Best moment of Billy & Chuck's wedding was easily Billy Gunn's reactions when he realised it might actually become legit.

Rhino goring Chris Jericho through the tron.

I forgot about that! Then the next week they had the new entrance? Incredible. Rhino was built as a genuine bad ass those first few months!

Hulk Hogan and Edge winning the Tag Team Titles. (to be fair its probably not that forgotten, but in fairness nobody has mentioned it yet and its the first thing that came to my mind)

The New Age Outlaws reuniting to challenge the Rock N Sock connection for the tag titles on 23rd September 1999. Sadly this was back when Smackdown wasn't show in the UK and we only ever got brief highlights.

• Paid Members
I get really nostalgic for Smackdown, circa 2002-2004. In my opinion that's the best body of work WWE has ever produced.

Me too, totally agree with you. Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Rey Mysterio, Edge, Chris Benoit, Heel John Cena, Eddie Guerrero, American Badass 'Taker, Paul Heyman, Stephanie McMahon (yup, I liked her as a GM!), Big Show...there was some fantastic television during that period.

The New Age Outlaws reuniting to challenge the Rock N Sock connection for the tag titles on 23rd September 1999. Sadly this was back when Smackdown wasn't show in the UK and we only ever got brief highlights.

I thought it was shown on Sky1 at the start. Fuck knows how I seen the episodes, I must think I've seen them when I only seen recap shows.

Archived