WWE Smackdown - *Spoilers* For 4/29/2011

ThePhenom

Here are the spoilers for this Friday's Smackdown, that was taped last night in Greensboro, NC. Looks like it will be quite a good show to me, your thoughts?

*The new roster members are already in the new open.

*Announced for the show is WWE Tag Team champs Kane & Big Show vs. The Corre and Mark Henry vs. Rey Mysterio.

*The World title is hanging above the ring.

*Smackdown opens with Randy Orton coming out to a huge pop, introducing himself to the Smackdown fans. Drew McIntyre, wearing a Raw shirt, comes out and interrupts. McIntyre goes for his DDT but Orton slips out and drills him with the RKO. Alex Riley tries to interrupt but before he can say a word, he eats an RKO as well. The crowd loves all of this. Alberto Del Rio, Brodius Clay and Ricardo Rodriguez come out. Alberto says he will bring the World title to Raw. Clay squares off with Orton but Christian hits the ring to even the sides. Teddy Long announces a tag match main event for tonight.

*Kofi Kingston comes out but Sheamus attacks him during the pyro pose on the entrance. Kofi was wearing a Raw shirt. Sheamus destroys him and poses. Kingston is carried out by officials. Great way to leave the brand, eh?

*There is an in ring promo by a heavily bruised Michael Cole, who brings out Jack Swagger. Cole does a pig call to mock Jim Ross.

Swagger vs. Sin Cara. Cara nails the entrance! The match is being worked with old school Kane style mood lighting with blue and orange lighting. Cara dominated and won with a victory roll after Cole landed Swagger a weapon that Swagger never got a chance to use. Cara was over.

Backstage segment with Rey Mysterio being wished well on Raw by The Great Khali and Ranjin Singh. After Rey leaves, a large man of Indian descent appears. Khali and Singh treat him like a big deal and they all speak in Hindi together.

There is an in-ring promo by Rey where he talks about how it is hard to leave Smackdown but he promises he would beat Cody Rhodes at Extreme Rules.

*Rey Mysterio defeated Mark Henry by DQ. Not a bad match. Rey nailed the 619. Cody Rhodes attacked Rey in the crowd. Henry walked out laughing. Rhodes put a paper bag over Rey's face.

*WWE Tag Team champions Big Show & Kane defeated The Corre with double chokeslams.

*Michelle McCool vs. Layla El goes to a double countout. There is a big "Let them fight" chant after they are held apart by officials. Layla issues a challenge for a No DQ, No Countout match. McCool accepts and adds a Loser Leaves Smackdown stipulation. Layla accepts.

*Matt Striker interviews Christian who discusses his title match at Extreme Rules and Edge's retirement. Christian says it's HIS destiny to earn the right to be called World champion.

*Randy Orton & Christian defeated Alberto Del Rio & Brodius Clay when Orton pinned Brodius with the RKO.

Credit: Graham Cawthon and PWInsider

• Paid Members
Backstage segment with Rey Mysterio being wished well on Raw by The Great Khali and Ranjin Singh. After Rey leaves, a large man of Indian descent appears. Khali and Singh treat him like a big deal and they all speak in Hindi together.

Raja Lion? Call for Maffew on the white courtesy phone.

I'm a bit sceptical about this idea of having atmospheric lighting for Sin Cara matches if it can be compared in any way to Kane's. That was horrible and actually made his matches hard to watch. Obviously blue and gold will be a lot lighter and probably not as irritating, but i'm not so keen on the idea of it, unless it's just illuminating the crowd and not the ring.

Sin Cara's lighting was...strange. I'm undecided atm.

Anyway Smackdown was decent, Sheamus kicking the fuck out of Kofi was class. Although I hate the way they all wrestled in the bloody Raw/Smackdown t-shirts!

I agree about the T shirts, I know it is only a small thing, but it was abit annoying. I quite enjoyed the show anyway though, the pop for Randy Orton was massive.

I kinda liked how they had the RAW and SD! shirts on, so you knew who was drafted etc, but wrestling in them was silly.

It was an ok show, it's one of them that was always going to be a bit hit and miss because obviously they have the PPV Sunday and the full draft won't be in effect till next week so it was hard to start new feuds etc.

Mark Henry as the smiling heel was a bit different, he definently seems like someone who could flourish on this brand.

Christian's promo was decent, the fact Del Rio was really toned down in his destiny stuff, and mentioning the World Title, makes me think Christian definently wins, Del Rio didnt realy mention the match much.

I think Kofi/Sheamus will be added to Extreme Rules with Kofi winning to take the title to RAW, then we'll get Christian/Sheamus feud over the World Title.

Decent show, but looking forward to next weeks a lot more to see how the new stars slot in etc.

I hate when they wrestle in the t-shirts, it's really cheap looking.

I like Smackdown but it seems that every single opening segment for the past year has ended with Teddy Long coming out and pitting the people in the ring against each for the main event. Talk about easy fuckin' money for Teddy.

The added audio of "WWE" in Michelle's speech was pretty funny. What isn't funny is Layla's unnecessary weight loss. :(

Christian's promo was pretty awkward. Orton is going to be just as boring on SD as he was on Raw.

Considering everyone is expecting Christian to win, I'd be stunned if Del Rio didn't walk out with the gold on Sunday. I'd imagine Vince would get a kick out of pissing off THE PEEPS.

What was with the lighting during Sin Cara's match?

Wouldnt be suprised, like you say everyone expects it, and with SmackDown not having a World Title if Christian doesnt win, it does seem blindingly obvious..so would be just like WWE to pull a swerve.

RAW has both brands on Monday anyway with Rocks birthday, so wouldnt suprise me to see Del Rio win Sunday and then Orton beat him on RAW to take the title back to Smackdown.

Sin Cara's lighting was stupid, and i can't stand the little shit. I really dont like him, i know its harsh when he hasnt even spoke to really done anything yet, but just the way he is, the way he points and some of his mannerisms really annoy me. Wish he'd fuck off.

The way they worked the tag match main event made it blatantly obvious that Christian is still seen as just the midcard sidekick, while Orton is a real main eventer.

The fact they gave Orton the win while Christian was sucking air on the apron says it all. Zero build-up for the Christian/ADR stuff, compared to how these things normally pan out. I half expected Teddy to make it a 3 way!

I enjoyed Drew McIntyre on the mic. He was far more natural than he ever has been, and showed bags more personality than he ever has. The Sin Cara lighting was just really shit looking, far too dark. As many people have pointed out, Christian was treated like a complete midcarder in comparison to Orton, especially in the first segment.

• Paid Members

I was actually pretty into Mark Henry on Smackdown this week. As mentioned earlier the whole "big smiley heel" deal is something we haven't seen much of and it's given him a bit of interest if nothing else.

Also I have to echo the love for Drew too. "I'd just like to say hello...and goodbye!"

Archived