Shitarse alert!

Ravenhill Promotions

So, which is the problem, that their falsely advertising Doink The Clown, or that they're running the same building you usually run?

They're running a different building to me, but it's in the same town. The problem is the false advertising, as much as i'd like to be the only show in town, I realise that some people are always going to want to capitalise on a profitable town that others have built up (Just like I have done with many towns that Orig run - difference being, I had the decency to wait for Orig to stop running those towns before I jumped in). So I understand there's going to be competition at times, and I accept that, as long as the competition is fair. This obviously isn't fair, it's false advertising of a former WWE superstar. It's illegal.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You will only have a case if you can prove they are infringing rights on Doink the Clown.....

You say that like its a difficult thing to do? Surely it isn't?

No not really

http://www.trademarkia.com/doink-the-clown-74637348.html

If I had run shows in a town regulary for a while I would be mighty pissed off at this , out of curiosity how big is the town/city this is held in ?

Population of around 23,000 Blackwood is. My hometown babey! :thumbsup:

That is not that big , the place where I intend to make my home venue is not much bigger and competition would seriously damage myself - especially if someone ran a poor show. Most casual fans won't realise that it isn't the same company.

Just being curious but what if it was a city/town of maybe 100k that had 1 show per year ? What are people's thoughts ?

You will only have a case if you can prove they are infringing rights on Doink the Clown.....

You say that like its a difficult thing to do? Surely it isn't?

No not really

http://www.trademarkia.com/doink-the-clown-74637348.html

If I had run shows in a town regulary for a while I would be mighty pissed off at this , out of curiosity how big is the town/city this is held in ?

Population of around 23,000 Blackwood is. My hometown babey! :thumbsup:

That is not that big , the place where I intend to make my home venue is not much bigger and competition would seriously damage myself - especially if someone ran a poor show. Most casual fans won't realise that it isn't the same company.

Intersting thing, I just spoke to the venue and the manager said "My daughter was looking forward to this, she saw the show in The Miners Institute and was really glad you were coming to this venue"....says it all about casuals not knowing the difference, and how one dodgy show can wreck the hard work of others.

The big problem here is that Mr Ravenhill has spent a fair amount of time establishing the market in the town (and indeed the same area of the town), not just for this show, but for some time previous. To have a "rival" promoter (used in the loosest sense of the term) running a show the following day, for a cheaper price and with known names, is going to snatch a fair amount of that market away.

Up to this point you might think "that's fair enough, that's business". From the perspective of wrestling promoters having respect for each other it's certainly not "on" to show up in someone's backyard, and i certainly think that's an issue here too that's been largely overlooked, but if we're talking from a business perspective, granted, you have to take it as "one of those things".

However, the real issues start when you dig a bit deeper. On the surface of it all to a local punter, all they see is "WRESTLING". They won't be able to discriminate "Welsh Wrestling" from "Trinity Wrestling Entertainment"; they don't know which is a "better" brand of wrestling. The wrestling is coming to town. Enough punters are going to end up going along to this other promotion. Whether by:

- not being aware of the other (unlikely as i know how hard Mr Ravenhill works on promotion),

- the cheaper prices,

- the (false) advertisment of "known names",

- or, quite possibly, not realising there's any difference between who is running the two shows,

it doesn't matter. Some are going to end up going to the Trinity show. While they're there, they'll be treated to some shitarse pretending to be Doink, some shitarse pretending to be Miz, and a myriad of other shitarses parading about. They leave the show probably fairly infuriated at the poor standard.

Mr Ravenhill carries on with his cycle of shows and returns to Blackwood a few months down the line. Despite the same high levels of promotion, and same high standard in the shows, the draw is in all likelyhood going to suffer. Why? Because people see posters around with the word WRESTLING on, and think "last time it was here it was shit, i'm not going again". Or perhaps their mate told them how shit the wrestling show they went to see was.

Effectively, you've got a bunch of amateurs showing up down the road and killing the market. That's why it's a problem.

The big problem here is that Mr Ravenhill has spent a fair amount of time establishing the market in the town (and indeed the same area of the town), not just for this show, but for some time previous. To have a "rival" promoter (used in the loosest sense of the term) running a show the following day, for a cheaper price and with known names, is going to snatch a fair amount of that market away.

Up to this point you might think "that's fair enough, that's business". From the perspective of wrestling promoters having respect for each other it's certainly not "on" to show up in someone's backyard, and i certainly think that's an issue here too that's been largely overlooked, but if we're talking from a business perspective, granted, you have to take it as "one of those things".

However, the real issues start when you dig a bit deeper. On the surface of it all to a local punter, all they see is "WRESTLING". They won't be able to discriminate "Welsh Wrestling" from "Trinity Wrestling Entertainment"; they don't know which is a "better" brand of wrestling. The wrestling is coming to town. Enough punters are going to end up going along to this other promotion. Whether by:

- not being aware of the other (unlikely as i know how hard Mr Ravenhill works on promotion),

- the cheaper prices,

- or, quite possibly, not realising there's any difference between who is running the two shows,

it doesn't matter. Some are going to end up going to the Trinity show. While they're there, they'll be treated to some shitarse pretending to be Doink, some shitarse pretending to be Miz, and a myriad of other shitarses parading about. They leave the show probably fairly infuriated at the poor standard.

Mr Ravenhill carries on with his cycle of shows and returns to Blackwood a few months down the line. Despite the same high levels of promotion, and same high standard in the shows, the draw is in all likelyhood going to suffer. Why? Because people see posters around with the word WRESTLING on, and think "last time it was here it was shit, i'm not going again". Or perhaps their mate told them how shit the wrestling show they went to see was.

Effectively, you've got a bunch of amateurs showing up down the road and killing the market. That's why it's a problem.

Post of the Month

- the cheaper prices,

Well said :thumbsup:

I've just got off the phone to the entertainment secretary of the venue, and he's told me that he's going to demand they take the Doink advertising off of the poster, and unless the 'promoter' has a very good excuse as to why he was advertising Doink in the first place, then he's looking to cancel the show.

• Paid Members
I've just got off the phone to the entertainment secretary of the venue, and he's told me that he's going to demand they take the Doink advertising off of the poster, and unless the 'promoter' has a very good excuse as to why he was advertising Doink in the first place, then he's looking to cancel the show.

Sounds fair enough to me.

:thumbsup:

Spoke to the shitarse via email.. he said WWE has given him the right to use the name The Miz and his likeliness. i somehow find that highly doubtful when WWE was going round trying to close EFEDS down for using wrestlers names and stuff in ficitional efeds

Surly an entertainment company wouldn't mind that, but fairplay for all you are doing Mr. Ravenhill. I don't get why these guys are even going there, they know they aren't at all that decent looking. Hell i know many promotions in the Midlands that don't attack other peoples areas. We got companies who do specific venues and no one else goes there because it would be just pure evil, so why are these doing more or less the same thing, hitting somewhere that they know a better promotion hits.

- the cheaper prices,

Well said :thumbsup:

Good - really hope that happens !

How did British promotions used to deal with outlaw promotions back in the day? I know Jackie Pallo ran opposition to JP and was forced out, but I'm not sure exactly how.

From some of the stories i've heard, quite violently. But then, back in the day, not everyone wanted to promote.

I blame Vince, he made playing a promoter, cool!

Surely Doink issue aside this is just basic competition-If i opened an all day coffe bar next to a starbucks and undercut their prices nobody would bat an eyelid.

As mentioned before lots of promotions do have a fake Undertaker and a fake Mysterio and advertise "Real American Wrestling" and use slogans like "Featuring TV stars" but aren't dumb enough to put the names in the poster with the words "WWE stuperstar" or dumb enough to spell wrestling wrong twice on their homepage.

However to run a show the day after an established promotion's is just dumb. I'm kinda guessing by their website that they don't know their arse from their elbow and may not even realize there's another show on in town- otherwise why run the day after and not the day before.

Wouldn't the business approach be to decide how much you could potentially lose from these shitarses putting on a show there and taking your customers and invest that same amount in putting on a show the same day and allow anybody who has attended your previous show to attend for

Can you actually call Trading Standards about a competing wrestling show? Sounds a bit petty to me, just put on a better show.

You can if there is misleading advertising........

or you could contact....

WWE (International) Ltd.

5 Jubilee Place

London, SW3 3TD

UNITED KINGDOM

44 (0) 20 7349 1740

regarding their copyrighted materials, they will act swiftly to inform the promoter that he/she is in vialition of their copyright and will quite happily take action against them.

Archived