Reliable place to get pedigree puppies from?

Jonny Vegas

Right so I'm finally branching out and getting a place of my own, I've been around dogs for most of my lives and all my life I've wanted an english bull terrier dog.

The Mrs. and I both work shifts so there will always be someone in, there's a big garden out the back and we've both decided the time is finally right to get one, only problem is that neither of us really have any clue of where to get one from that's safe, reliable and not extortionate.

We've both had dogs before but usually one's that are either given away or rescued so when it comes to actually trying to locate and purchase a pedigree dog we're both pretty much clueless.

Anyone on here have any background, reccomendations, places to avoid, tips, pointers, advice etc?

:thumbsup:

• Paid Members
Right so I'm finally branching out and getting a place of my own, I've been around dogs for most of my lives and all my life I've wanted an english bull terrier dog.

The Mrs. and I both work shifts so there will always be someone in, there's a big garden out the back and we've both decided the time is finally right to get one, only problem is that neither of us really have any clue of where to get one from that's safe, reliable and not extortionate.

We've both had dogs before but usually one's that are either given away or rescued so when it comes to actually trying to locate and purchase a pedigree dog we're both pretty much clueless.

Anyone on here have any background, reccomendations, places to avoid, tips, pointers, advice etc?

My advice would be get a mongrel. Pedigree dogs generally have shorter lifespans and more health problems (which also makes them more expensive) due to small breeding pools.

You could probably get a bull-terrier cross quite easily if you looked around.

There was a bloke with greasy hair and NHS spes who used to hang around outside my Primary school. He was always gping on about puppies. Its been a few years but once the Easter holidays are finished I'll go and see if he still goes up there.

Being a Reverend I'm surprised you aren't best buds with him.

Ignoring the debate about the ethics of pedigree pups (I've got a 5 year old Basset, no health problems), my tattooer keeps EBTs, I'll ask her about breeders if you like. Whereabouts are you? Chances are you're gonna have to travel a long way, but it'll be worth it.

• Paid Members

English bull Terriers need a lot of attention and a lot of walking. Not something you just wanted to stick in your new back garden. My mate has two but is not breeding yet. He got them from a lady called Carol in Scotland near Livingston his are minature ones although they are still pretty big. He brought the first one from her for

• Paid Members
Why would you want to Pedigree puppies, you monster? Even Triple H wouldn't do that.

C'mon CB, you're better than that.

To the OP - unless you intend on using your dog for breeding sometime down the road I'd suggest that picking up a pedigree is a little OTT. With a bit of searching (rescue homes, newspapers, online) you should be able to find a bull terrier cross for nowt/a negligible sum. Though having said that if you've been after an English bull terrier your entire life it's probably worth the cost to you regardless. Good luck with it.

Thanks for all the tips and advice so far guys.

Dave2tone - I am in Glasgow mate but I'm more than happy to travel to be honest so if you could find out and let me know that would be very much appreciated.

I have thought about a cross and a miniature before but to be honest I've always had dogs but I've wanted an EBT all my life, my Nan had one when I was a little boy and I've been in love with the breed ever since. Every Christmas I get EBT related stuff from family members and I've got a whole stack of books that I've read with tips and advice on handling and caring for the breed.

I know they're a lot of hard work and effort but I'm willing to put it in to be honest, I just want to make sure that I don't end up getting one from a shady source or get ripped off on places like gumtree etc.

I know EBT's aren't everyones cup of tea and I'm not really planning on breeding or showing the dog but I figured if I was gonna go all out and get one (which is a lifelong dream as sad as that may sound to some people) then I don't want to do it half arsed!

:-)

Archived