Televisions - what do you have?

Jonny Vegas

I'm thinking of getting a new TV as my 32" LCD seems to be on the way out and I've never really been overly impressed with the picture quality. Problem is that I really don't understand anything to do with them...added to the fact that everyone seems to have a different opinion on what is best!

I have heard Plasma's have a problem with screen burn/gas canisters needing replacing, I have heard LCD's lose picture quality when you get a decent sized one and I have heard that LED tv's are just very expensive compared to what you can get in the other two realms.

What I'm looking for is a good sized TV, between 50-60" which is going to last a few years and give me good quality for watching TV, DVD's and playing XBOX and ideally a max price of about

A few people have told me that the best thing to go for would be a Full HD 1080p Plasma TV...I'm not even sure what 108-p means in honesty.

If you watch sports and play computer games then this would be good for you.

I had a Sumsung TV plasma which was burned out after three and a half years (just out of warranty as well) and lost out there and the customer service (despite rave reviews) was fucking shit (house insurance came in handy though).

Have opted for a Panasonic 3DTV now, thought id get the 3D seeing as thats the latest gimmick out, not too bad actually.

• Paid Members

I have 2 Sony 40" LED full 1080p HD Tv's in the bedrooms, Sony 60 inch rear projection Tv in the games room and a 50" Samsung LED 3D 1080p HD Tv in the living room with a smaller 20" HD Tv next to it.

I avoided plasmas as my mate got 1 and had a nightmare with screen burn and things. I have a 360 and PS3 in all but the rear projection I use that for the older games consoles. All do the job perfectly.

• Paid Members

I've got a 32" Samsung 1080p set in my bedroom, it's a corker!, I love it. It's got a USB slot and can play most types of video so it's handy for downloading shows and watching them on there,SkyHD, Xbox games, and Blurays look fantastic on it. In the living room there's the big ass 40 odd inch telly, but it's not that good, just HD-ready and quite a few years old now, made by a shit brand as well, "Wharfedale" or something.

I avoided plasmas as my mate got 1 and had a nightmare with screen burn and things. I have a 360 and PS3 in all but the rear projection I use that for the older games consoles. All do the job perfectly.

See i've heard about screen burn...how quickly does that take effect? For example if I am watching the football then will the score bar end up burning onto the screen after two 45 minute spells? Also the red button icons and the like when watching certain channels on SKY? Or is it more if you were to pause something and leave it for hours and hours?

See i've heard about screen burn...how quickly does that take effect? For example if I am watching the football then will the score bar end up burning onto the screen after two 45 minute spells? Also the red button icons and the like when watching certain channels on SKY? Or is it more if you were to pause something and leave it for hours and hours?

I think a screen burn is permanent but never had that although you can tinker with the settings, they say that you should keep your plasma in low mode the first 6 or so months then up the settings (picture quality).

I've had my HD tv for nearly 5 years. I've waited for the warranty to run out before I start looking for a new one. Currently have a LCD 37" 720P Orion. Not the best out there but the picture quality is very good for what it is. Now on the lookout for a new one. I'm still only going for 37", that's big enough for me, but I want 1080P. As long as it has a PC monitor and audio port, as well as the HDMI ports then I'm happy enough. PiP would be cool too.

Archived