Blu-ray

G-Unit

I am thinking of venturing into the world of Blu-ray players and wanted to hear you guys recommendations on which players are good to have? Also am I right in thinking that you need a hdmi cable to get the best quality picture?

If it's within your budget then I'd go with a PS3 to be honest. It's one of the best Blu Ray players on the market, will automatically upgrade to the latest firmware & also gives you access to Iplayer, 4OD & ITV Player. Not to mention can act as fully fledged freeview recorder with a cheap add on. Obviously you can use it as a games machine too if thats your thing.

If it's within your budget then I'd go with a PS3 to be honest. It's one of the best Blu Ray players on the market, will automatically upgrade to the latest firmware & also gives you access to Iplayer, 4OD & ITV Player. Not to mention can act as fully fledged freeview recorder with a cheap add on. Obviously you can use it as a games machine too if thats your thing.

All of the above ^

PS3 would be the best to go with, as has been mentioned has all the latest firmware and, I believe, it can also play 3D-Blu-Ray now too , assuming you have a compatible 3D TV.

If you want to get a separate player, I have this one http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ra...00/phil-bdp5100, can be bought Region-Free and upscales existing DVD's brilliantly.

And As always when plugging Richer Sounds (I don't work for them, they are just great value and really nknow their stuff) with a 5 year warranty its only

PS3 would be the best to go with, as has been mentioned has all the latest firmware and, I believe, it can also play 3D-Blu-Ray now too , assuming you have a compatible 3D TV.

Got a 3DTV and can confirm that the PS3 also plays 3D bluray films which if your thing will save you more money as you would need to buy a 3D Bluray player otherwise.

Some games are in 3D as well if thats your thing.

yep definately get a ps3 its the best out there - although replying on the 3D aspect wouldnt be good, 3D wont last more than 2 years and the fad will go back into moratorium like a disney movie for 15-20 years.

as for the comment someone made about things looking too much like american soap operas in hidef, not really true - some movies from the 80s just look cleaner and crisper, and look maybe 10 years old rather than 30. also stuff like pixar just looks incredible on bluray. my collection is 300 strong now and wouldnt go back to dvds. infact the only time i do buy dvds are if tv series boxsets and wrestling releases are only on dvd and not bluray.

yep definately get a ps3 its the best out there - although replying on the 3D aspect wouldnt be good, 3D wont last more than 2 years and the fad will go back into moratorium like a disney movie for 15-20 years.

as for the comment someone made about things looking too much like american soap operas in hidef, not really true - some movies from the 80s just look cleaner and crisper, and look maybe 10 years old rather than 30. also stuff like pixar just looks incredible on bluray. my collection is 300 strong now and wouldnt go back to dvds. infact the only time i do buy dvds are if tv series boxsets and wrestling releases are only on dvd and not bluray.

300! Wow! Yeah I'm slowly coming around to Blu-Ray, got 11 now! I still buy dvd's though. I'd def get a PS3, its the best out there, plus you know apart from being a Blu-Ray Players, and you know, a games console its one of the best home media devices around.

Just received The American and Monsters on Blu-Ray a few days ago, The American looks absolutely stunning, gonna give Monsters a watch later!

• Paid Members

Got a 3DTV and can confirm that the PS3 also plays 3D bluray films which if your thing will save you more money as you would need to buy a 3D Bluray player otherwise.

Some games are in 3D as well if thats your thing.

I badly want 3D and my TV is on it's last legs so we'll see. Does anyone know anything about 3D blu-ray players that convert everything into 3D? Do they all do that or is it just a feature on some? What's it like? I got a mate who thinks its good.

You base this on what?

• Paid Members
As long as you have to wear the glasses, 3D will always be a bit wank.

I don't find the new style glasses to be a problem at all, but I actually think its more likely that we'll have 3D without the glasses in 2 years rather than 3D having fucked off again. Problems aside, we already have 3D without the glases, so it's really a case of ironing it out.

Archived