New WWE HOF 2011 inductee announced on wwe.com

The Natural

WWE is proud to announce the newest member of the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame — comedian and game show host Drew Carey. The WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony presented by THQ’s "WWE All Stars" will take place at the Phillips Arena on Saturday, April 2 and the one-hour TV special will air Monday, April 4 at 8/7c on USA Network.

Drew Carey is the latest member of the celebrity wing of the WWE Hall of Fame, joining the likes of Pete Rose, Bob Uecker and William “Refrigerator” Perry. Other members of the 2011 WWE Hall of Fame Class include “The Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels, “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan, “Bullet” Bob Armstrong and the original WWE Diva, Sunny.

Carey established his place in WWE history as a surprise entrant in the 2001 Royal Rumble. However, Carey’s fortunes quickly turned, when the massive WWE Superstar Kane entered the ring, prompting Carey to eliminate himself from the match.

Carey, a former United States Marine Reservist, is the host of “The Price Is Right” and star of “The Drew Carey Show” and “Whose Line Is It Anyway?”. Carey will lead a cast of improvisation all-stars, including Ryan Styles, Colin Mochrie, Greg Proops, Brad Sherwood and Kathy Kinney, in the new series “Drew Carey’s Improv-A-Ganza,” which premieres April 11 at 8 pm ET/PT on GSN. Each episode will showcase a half-hour of improvised sketch comedy complete with audience participation.

Well that's a surprise. I liked Drew's short cameo in the 2001 Royal Rumble. I loved that Royal Rumble match. HOF though?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Jesus Christ. I don't mind them having a celeb wing and it's obviously not to be taken too seriously but how about inducting the genuine celebs who've done more for the company than one shit cameo? What about Mr T, Mike Tyson, Cindi Lauper or Jamieson?

So Triple H and Shawn Michaels go on about how Goldberg shouldn't be in the Hall Of Fame, because he was only a main eventer for 2 and a half years in WCW, and a year on Raw.... but Drew Carey??? Drew Carey deserves to be in the thing?

• Paid Members
So Triple H and Shawn Michaels go on about how Goldberg shouldn't be in the Hall Of Fame, because he was only a main eventer for 2 and a half years in WCW, and a year on Raw.... but Drew Carey??? Drew Carey deserves to be in the thing?

You can't compare Drew Carey to Goldberg. That's just stupid.

Dreadful choice, really.

I'd be fine with Mr. T, Cyndi Lauper, Mike Tyson, Floyd Mayweather, Donald Trump, Lawrence Taylor (yeah I realise that one won't happen for more than one reason) or K-Fed because they were all involved in what were major angles at the time.

I wouldn't even mind someone like Arnie, Shaq, Walter Payton (who DJ Stevie made a case for him on here as a WWE HoFer a couple of years ago), Bob Barker or Bill Shatner who may not have been involved in long term angles but had fun cameos that people seem to remember fondly.

I'm in the (very) small minority on here that doesn't mind the idea of a Celebrity HoF and much as a lot of people hated it at the time I thought Pete Rose was a good pick for it, liked Uecker's little cameos as a kid (even not knowing who he was) and I'm probably the only person on the planet who didn't even mind 'The Fridge' since he was a big name at the time and it got them some local publicity, but Carey is really stretching it.

• Paid Members
Jesus Christ. I don't mind them having a celeb wing and it's obviously not to be taken too seriously but how about inducting the genuine celebs who've done more for the company than one shit cameo? What about Mr T, Mike Tyson, Cindi Lauper or Jamieson?

They wanted Mr. T in the WrestleMania 21 Hall of Fame (with all the stars of the original WrestleMania) but his agent was quoting more money than anyone thought he deserved, so they told him where to go. Saying that, Tyson was shouldnt be to expensive these days. And it wasnt to long ago that he was actually on the show.

The Celebrity wing is nothing to do with the actual hall of fame is it? If Pete Rose gets in then so should Carey. His appearence at the Toyal Rumble was memorable. And to say he only made one appearence ever in the WWE is silly as most people who have gone in and will go in will have only of ever made one appearence.

• Paid Members

Who said Shawn and Hunter suggested Drew Carrey? The buck stops at Vince McMahon.

The Celebrity wing is nothing to do with the actual hall of fame is it? If Pete Rose gets in then so should Carey. His appearence at the Toyal Rumble was memorable. And to say he only made one appearence ever in the WWE is silly as most people who have gone in and will go in will have only of ever made one appearence.

Pete Rose made 3/4 appearances and in a recurring role. Even then he was a stretch, but he had added interest because he is banned from the Baseball Hall of Fame so its a funny story to say he is in a wrestling one. (Dont think they got much publicity out of it anyway.)

Carrey on the other hand is a shockingly shit inductee. I know the HOF isnt to be taken seriously because its down to what Vince wants...but Drew Carey? Jesus wept.

Archived