Eric Bischoff Appreciation

garynysmon

• Paid Members

Been watching a few random Nitro's recently, and just reminded myself what a fan I was of Eric Bischoff.

The guy just finds it so natural to come over as a complete prick, but in an entertaining way (unlike, say, Vickie Guerrero if that makes sense). I enjoyed his WCW stuff more than as Raw GM to be honest though.

I find him to be a very divisive character though, any thoughts?

(I find his political views so baffling though)

• Paid Members
The guy just finds it so natural to come over as a complete prick

There's a reason for that!

I hate Bischoff on old Nitro's. When he first turned, he was superb but for over a year after, he and Hogan were running through almost the same tosh every week.

With the right material, he is a superb heel. He's totally over-shadowed Hogan and Flair in TNA for instance. He's smug as fuck.

Ironically I just began reading his book, Controversy Creates Ca$h earlier on and from what I've read so far I think I'm really going to enjoy it. He seems to have had a pretty hard upbringing with the neighbourhood he lived in, his Dad's health and so on, I was a bit surprised to read he went to the same school as Eminem too.

I've always been a bit of a Bischoff fan, I was never really able to get into WCW much as I only got into wrestling back in 1999 and by the time I realised we could get WCW on TV over here it was only a year or so until it shut down. Having seen him as Raw GM, in WWE, on videos and DVDs of WCW and now in TNA I think he's a brilliant character. I do agree though, I have prefered his work in WCW more than in WWE, but obviously he was his own boss then and he slotted in well as the bad guy surrounded by the nWo, as Raw GM he had an assistant in The Coach and his allies but that was never going to be as cool as his nWo days in WCW. I always feel that he gets a bit too much blame for WCW's demise that isn't really his fault, to be fair to him he is the guy who helped make WCW the number one wrestling company for a while and many seem to not give him enough credit for this but instead give him more of a slating for destroying the same company, which again wasn't entirely his fault in my opinion.

I hate that Eric Bischoff book - it's full of mistakes, I didn't really learn anything new, and his WWE run is almost entirely missed out. Glad I borrowed it so I could throw it back in someone's face afterwards.

As for the man, I wasn't much of a WCW fan at the time (although I've watched most of it back now) but I loved him in WWE, in fact the product has steadily declined since he left, maybe he judged things more correctly this time and jumped at the right time. I wish we got more of Chief Morley alongside him though, rather than The Coach. Chief Morley was great.

I didn't watch WCW at the time, so my first real introduction to Bischoff was his WWE run.

I have to agree with what others have posted here in that he's a tremendous character. As non-wrestling characters go, I'd put him right up there with the likes of Heyman and Cole.

On a side note, garynsymon - do you not rate Vickie Guerrero? She's superb, and some of her promos of late have been as good as anyone's, barring perhaps CM Punk's. As King Pitcos (I think) mentioned in another thread, her "It's Me" promo on Edge a couple of weeks back was world class.

Well, WCW and the particularly the nWo is what made me a wrestling fan so I've always had a soft spot for Eazy E. Back in the glory days of Nitro there were two things that I was looking forward to the most, each and every week - the Goldberg squash and the Hollywood Hogan/Eric Bischoff in-ring promo. I loved Bischoff as a performer back then and I still love him now. I didn't get to see much of his WWE run [because I haven' watched WWE regularly since 2002] so I can't really comment on his work there but his TNA work has been great. Bischoff just comes off as such an arrogant asshole and that makes heel a great heel character. There's very few people in wrestling who can pull off the "I'm an evil prick" character as good as he can. So yeah, I rate Bischoff very highly as a performer.

• Paid Members
On a side note, garynsymon - do you not rate Vickie Guerrero? She's superb, and some of her promos of late have been as good as anyone's, barring perhaps CM Punk's. As King Pitcos (I think) mentioned in another thread, her "It's Me" promo on Edge a couple of weeks back was world class.

I wasn't trying to imply that at all. She is superb, and is possibly the most over heel in WWE right now. There is absoloutly nothing likeable in her character, and it works.

But Easy E is just a slimy prick, and very sarcastic.

They are just very different, I wasn't trying to imply that Vickie G isn't good at what she does.

Archived