Best Music based books out there

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Lemmy's is alright, it a little repetitive in places. Can't be helped though, as a significant portion of his life involved getting dropped from a record label, signing with a new one, putting out an album, touring to promote it, shagging a lot of women, and then getting dropped from the record label again. And again. And again.

Slash's book is good. Pretty detailed on his upbringing, lots of info on his feeling about Axl, and millions of crazy stories about his herion addiction. Same can be said for the Motley Crue book. Its called The Dirt, the cover looks like a bottle of JD. The opening page has a crazy story that sets the tone for the whole book. You actually start to feel sorry for them when they get older, as they describe their shortcomings and they seem more human that way than just some drugged-up, women-humping rockstars. Run To The Hills, about Iron Maiden is great too. Very indepth, great for long journeys. Pigs Might Fly, about Pink Floyd is another.

As you can see i like to read. Gives me something to do on my down-time at work.

Slash's is a good read if you're a fan.

The Dirt is pretty essential, one of the grittiest books I've read (in a good way).

Geoff Docherty's 'A Promoters Tale: Rock at the Sharp End' is fantastic. Basically it highlights Docherty's career as a promoter in the 70's & 80's all over the UK (but mainly focused on the North-East) with acts like The Who, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Bowie & Clapton. He was based up here and managed to bring Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Queen and alot of others to play gigs at the Bay Hotel in Roker. A good read regardless, but even better to read for people from Sunderland:

Link

Nikki Sixx's 'Heroin Diaries' is a pretty gritty read too and Tommy Lee's 'Tommyland' is great I would certainly recommend them if you liked 'The Dirt'

Just finishing up on Gene Simmons' autobiography 'Kiss and make up' he mainly goes on about how he liked to chase skirt thought his career, it's an okay book.

I can't wait for Steven Tyler's book which will hopefully be released this year.

• Paid Members
Just finishing up on Gene Simmons' autobiography 'Kiss and make up' he mainly goes on about how he liked to chase skirt thought his career, it's an okay book.

If your into Kiss, you should read Star Man: The Right-hand Man of Rock and Roll by Michael Francis. He's Bon Jovi and Kiss' bodyguard and the son of boxing trainer George Francis. He tells some cracking stories about Kiss that you wont find in Simmons' book. It was is a class book. You really get to know what they are really like. And how long it takes for Stanley and Simmons to put those wigs on.

• Paid Members

I don't usually read books, because I'm a proper bloke, but I've read a couple of good 'uns.

Showbusiness: Diary Of A Rock & Roll Nobody is a cracking little read from Mark Radcliffe that brightened up a shit holiday a few years ago.

From Joy Division To New Order is a great one about Factory Records, whilst The Hacienda: How Not To Run A Club is a fantastic one by Peter Hook.

• Paid Members
I would recommend the Slash book aswell, it was much better than I thought it'd be. I am a huge GNR/Slash fan though so I guess I was bound to like it. I can't wait to get my hands on Scott Weilands book when its out soonish.

The Slash book is chock full of pretty glaring errors. The part about Todd Crews death and the St. Louis riot are two in particular.

I know he was fucked up for most of the time but you would think his co-writer would have fact-checked some of it.

• Paid Members
Scar Tissue is an amazing read if anyone likes RHCP's or music in general, how Anthony Kiedis is not dead from drugs I do not know.

Lemmy is laughing at this.

Frank Zappa's is a good read. Even better if you imagine it being read out in his voice. As you'd expect/hope, it's got plenty of anecdotes about crazy situations, but he just drops them in as if it's just another day at the office.

Miles - Miles Davis' Autobiography is a brilliant read.

Electronic Punks - Thr Prodigy

The Eight Legged Atomic Dustbin Will Eat Itself is fantastic too

Something to do with The Stuffies? Here I come, Amazon!

I'll add to this thread Rip It Up & Start Again. Fairly hefty tome that runs through the vast majority of the groups from the post punk era and gives a really, really good overview of it and sense of what was going on at the time. The stories in it are hugely entertaining.

Archived