Give it to me straight, Doc!

thejeffjarrettone

Since I seem to be suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Exhaustion, I'm not sure which (symptoms are randomly switching between tired as hell and normal energy levels, I'm not feeling refreshed at all from sleeping, and I've got blank gaps in my memory), I was just wondering what sort of gribbly illnesses other UKFFers are suffering from? Share! Well, symptoms at least......

I've been getting infrequent redness on my face, which the doctors haven't been able to diagnose. They said it was Parvovirus or slapcheek but since it came back, its not that. Only happens twice a year, and its rather annoying. Lasts about two weeks then fades back to normal skin tone. Weird.

Haemochromatosis, essentially too much iron in the blood. Sadly this doesn't mean that I have magical magnetic powers, just that if I don't have a venesection (a pint of blood taken away, the 21st century equivalent of leeches) every three months it would be like having a couple of nails rusting away in the bottom of my liver.

On the plus side it has cured my trypanophobia and I get regular full blood tests that reveal that years of hard living have left me with miraculously intact internal organs.

Arrived back from Egypt at the end of June and after getting off the plane felt like i had a calf strain similar to playing football. A day or so later it was at the stage where i was struggling to walk without excruciating pain. Went into my local A + E and was referred to attend for an ultra sound scan on the calf the next day to determine if had contracted deep vein thrombosis on the calf. This came back all clear and i was given the thumbs up by the doctor and nurse saying there was no clot which i thought was very odd as i was in real pain and could not put full weight on my left leg. A couple of days later i started getting shooting pains across the front left of my chest which progressively got worse as i breathed in or out. Back into hospital i went, ended up being kept overnight and following a heart scan, ECG and chest x-ray all coming back as negative i was taken for a precautionary CT scan and told i had contracted multiple blood clots in my lungs - the initial DVT was missed as it had broken off and travelled round my body - which were causing this pulmonary embolism which blocked the main arteries into my lungs.

Ended up spending five days in hospital and now on drugs to thin my blood potentially for the rest of my days. I got a fair bit of a fright - mainly caused by not moving or getting up for a pee on a 5+ hour flight back from Sharm El Sheikh.

It's now three months on and i've just started back at work. Still get pain and absolutely puffed out knackered after doing just an easy day on reduced hours and slowly trying to build back up to something like full fitness.

So if you are going on any kind of flight make sure you and your family/friends keep moving about and don't sit on your bum for the duration; don't be naive and think you'll be ok as i'm only 26, took the same attitude and according to the consultant was very, very close to being a goner.

So if you are going on any kind of flight make sure you and your family/friends keep moving about and don't sit on your bum for the duration; don't be naive and think you'll be ok as i'm only 26, took the same attitude and according to the consultant was very, very close to being a goner.

Dude, I was fucking terrified of flying, specially after 9/11 showed that planes are essentially flying torpedoes with pilots, but DVT? Now its definitely not happening. My stepdad wants to be buried in Cyprus and if I want my "share of the inheritance" I've got to go. Fuck that! I wouldn't cross the street to say hello to him, so what makes him think that I'd go to Cyprus for him?

Also in the psychological things: anger issues!

I've been diabetic since I was 13. I'm reasonably well controlled and I've got no real complications as yet, but smoking means I'm at about 10 times the risk of heart attack and stroke as you. I'm also in the highest risk bracket for amputations and impotence in later life. And possible blindness. Yay!

I also have a very weird thing that I've only recently got addressed. My legs don't straighten. If I lie on my back and put my legs in the air, my right knee stays at a 45 degree angle. My left is a mere 30. Standing, it's more like 15 or so on each leg. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but try bending your legs slightly, never straightening them fully, and walk around for a day. I get intense pain standing still for any length of time and climbing stairs is an absolute bitch. I'm getting physio now which is helping, although 45 minutes of intense stretching every day is pretty hard going. On the bright side, once it's done I should be a good couple of inches taller. :)

• Paid Members
I get a lot of pain in the outside of my lower legs when walking in my new daps.

Probably down to having very high arched feet.

Anyone else with this problem?

You been checked out Stu? That sounds like early potential stages of shin splints.

I haven't but I'm thinking about it.

Can I go to my local GP for this or do I need to go to the hospital direct?

• Paid Members

Two holes in the bones behind my right knee.

Slightly bowed right leg which adds to the pressure on the knee.

Chronic dehydration (resulting in kidney problems and severe migraines).

Anyone ever had a gastroscopy (possible hiatus hernia)? And anyone ever undergone a sleep test? I have to have both soon and wondered what was involved.

Archived