Anyone got an Ipad?

The Amence One

• Paid Members
Quick question. Are you able to read PDF files (such as the one on my site) on an Ipad - without much difficulty?

Also, on a sidenote - do any techies know if you have to be a programming genius with wads of cash to create a magazine app for itunes? Sorry to deviate slightly from the main topic.

And, does anyone know if Apple are looking at sorting out the Flash problem for future gens?

You can read PDFs in iBooks with no problem at all.

No sign of Flash support any time soon.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Right, i'm considering making a big impulse buy and getting an iPad2. My questions for anyone who has one are:

1. Whats the memory usage like? Ive got an iPod Touch so wouldn't need to load it up with music, is 16gb perfectly acceptable or is it worth going up to 32gb?

2. I'm tempted to get 3G but am put off by having to pay for a data plan on top. Do those of you with 3G get good benefits out of it or can you get by perfectly fine just with wifi?

Cheers in advance!

• Paid Members

No. It's an over-sized iPod.

I know someone who is really into their tech and getting the next big things. I was there when his newly-purchased iPad arrived. He opened it like a kid at Christmas, and the more he played with it, the more his face dropped in disappointment that looked to say, This is it?

• Paid Members

As I previously mentioned It's a far better tool with 3g and if you do go for that option go with 3 they by far give you the best amount of usage and coverage. My iPad is my on the go tool and aside from games, music and books has a vast amount of differing apps that can be helpful. The only thing I would suggest you dont use it for is Word processing. Other than that it's essential. Although again until you get one you don't really need it, then when you get it you cant live without it.

• Paid Members

Cheers for that, how does it do with spreadsheets, reports etc? I'm justifying it to myself by saying it'll be a great tool to use when I start my graduate job in September as I'll be able to create and access all my work on the move which would be very handy.

• Paid Members

If you use Apple products then it's probably great however I don't so therefore i generally keep to MS stuff. The presentation app is pretty special, but it kind of relies on knowing your way around Apple software again.

No. It's an over-sized iPod.

I know someone who is really into their tech and getting the next big things. I was there when his newly-purchased iPad arrived. He opened it like a kid at Christmas, and the more he played with it, the more his face dropped in disappointment that looked to say, This is it?

Weirdly I was the opposite. I got it, wasn't sure what I'd get out of it, and now just use it all the time for everything. Your friend has no imagination frankly.

Also I don't get where this whole "does everything but dosen't have a phone function so get a iphone." Godswallops... the Skype app works wonders on it and I've used it to great success to talk to many of my friends and family.

Don't get me wrong, not everyone will get as much use out of it as me. I love it. I play Catan on it, reads books, always have my music, can quickly access my emails, watch youtube, watch WWE ppvs the next day, ring people in other countries for free, can take it away and catch up on Doctor Who whilst on the bog, chat to friends on facebook when Im slobbing in front of the tv, access my work emails and download some classic comics. Plus I'm in the process of setting up web cams so I can spy on my house whilst I'm away on holiday.

Plus it is WAY more accessible than my girlfreinds laptop or my PC. If I want to go online I simply press a button... none of this "turn on your pc and wait for it to power up" crap. Sorry I'm too busy.

Love it. Again I will reiterate what others have said.... You don't NEED a ipad... but when you get one you will find a great deal of use out of it.

2. I'm tempted to get 3G but am put off by having to pay for a data plan on top. Do those of you with 3G get good benefits out of it or can you get by perfectly fine just with wifi?

From my experience 3G is the best to go with. If your unsure of going with a data plan, simply pay as you go. You can get monthly packages and packages for the day. Personally I use it mostly round the house (and it's perfectly fine) and pay the

I bought a iPad one from game station, then the 3 mifi. Couldn't see me going back to laptop for every day web use

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Question to the boffins. Concerning paid for digital copies of movies.

I have my iPod connected to my apple account, with about 6 films on it (ones that I had the DVD of, with the code). I assume that the films are linked to my account, and not the device. So I, in effect, pay for a copy to own on my account.

Now if I get an iPad, and have it as a second device, will the films/music and podcasts all be duplicated on the 2nd device? Or do I have to have a separate library for each device (and pay for 2nd 'copy' of digital films)? How does that all work?

• Paid Members
Question to the boffins. Concerning paid for digital copies of movies.

I have my iPod connected to my apple account, with about 6 films on it (ones that I had the DVD of, with the code). I assume that the films are linked to my account, and not the device. So I, in effect, pay for a copy to own on my account.

Now if I get an iPad, and have it as a second device, will the films/music and podcasts all be duplicated on the 2nd device? Or do I have to have a separate library for each device (and pay for 2nd 'copy' of digital films)? How does that all work?

Although I don't own an iPad, I'd believe that the movie would be available to watch on all devices associated with your Apple account, the same way it does with music, apps, and other media.

Archived