Anyone got an Ipad?

The Amence One

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I have an iPad and it's become my essential device. The whole ebook/browser/TV thing is the best thign about it, otherwise I would ahve ended up buying a Kindle, some form of portable media player and carried my netbook around with me for internet on the go, it's all in one and yes you can do word processing you can buy a keyboard that slots in. Some of the iPad apps are stunning.

However it is a case of until you have one, you won't miss it. BTW you can't use a 3 3g dongle you will have to buy a seprate micro SIM for it. Also, I now have a cheap phone as I don't need an iPhone, touch, smart phone etc. so again, long term it's saving me money as well.

As for all the others coming the only one that piques my interest is the Blackberry Pad.

Bought an iPad a few months ago and although it is quite obviously not essential, it's naturally made it's way into my day to day stuff and now I rely on it quite heavily. Using it to watch movies whilst working cardio at the gym, playing games on long journeys / with mates round their houses (2 player board games work surprisingly well), I use the PDF apps a lot to save printing (I play a lot of geeky table top games).

For me it was really a matter of justifying the expense by finding opportunities I'll regularly use it - it IS a really great 'web browsing experience' as Jobs puts it, perfect for checking forums / websites before going to bed or whatever.

Unecessary but nice to have.

• Paid Members
BTW you can't use a 3 3g dongle you will have to buy a seprate micro SIM for it.

Alternatively you can get a MiFi from Three, which is a pocket gadget that picks up a 3G signal and sends it out as WiFi, so you can use it on a WiFi only iPad (or any other WiFi devices like a laptop). The deal I got was

• Paid Members

A representitive from Apple claimed:

"The iPad fills the gap in the market for appliances between mobile phones and laptops"

What gap in the market?? I've never sat there and thought "Oh I wish I had something somewhere in between my phone and laptop". It seems to be just a gadget that doesn't offer anything the laptop or mobile don't already offer.

It does look class though, and I'm sure it's plenty of fun- but hey that's what gadgets do!

I've got my iPod Touch surprisingly mainly to play music on. Who'd have thought it?.

A friend of mine recently scoffed at how few apps I had on mine. The explanation that I use the precious space for music seemed lost on her.

Maybe she was just confused as to why you paid out for an expensive ipod touch and just played music on it, when all the cheaper ipods do that without all the apps and games for a much more reasonable price?

• Paid Members

"The iPad fills the gap in the market for appliances between mobile phones and laptops"

What gap in the market?? I've never sat there and thought "Oh I wish I had something somewhere in between my phone and laptop". It seems to be just a gadget that doesn't offer anything the laptop or mobile don't already offer.

It does look class though, and I'm sure it's plenty of fun- but hey that's what gadgets do!

Before the iPod popularised MP3 players, did you ever sit there and think "Oh I wish I could carry round my entire music collection in my pocket rather than have to go to the effort of deciding what tape/CD to take with me"?

I'm actually surprised at how much I use mine. I didn't think it'd be as useful as it has been, but it's been a godsend.

Everyone knows about the music, and the games etc. They're all as good as they ever were on other Apple devices.

I use mine a lot for watching stuff I've downloaded and the quality is excellent. Also for writing on the move, and accessing my PC at home etc.

Yes, it wasn't cheap, but I certainly don't find myself thinking "oh god, I'm so limited by this product because it's Apple!" .. far from it.

• Paid Members

Before the iPod popularised MP3 players, did you ever sit there and think "Oh I wish I could carry round my entire music collection in my pocket rather than have to go to the effort of deciding what tape/CD to take with me"?

Yes. All the time. Didn't you? Especially once MP3 technology became more widespread, (I think I became aware of them in 1998) and even more so when Napster was at it's peak a year or so later. The first iPod didn't come out until 2001 right?

Yes. All the time. Didn't you? Especially once MP3 technology became more widespread, (I think I became aware of them in 1998) and even more so when Napster was at it's peak a year or so later. The first iPod didn't come out until 2001 right?

Yeah, the 1st gen was out October 2001.

Quick question. Are you able to read PDF files (such as the one on my site) on an Ipad - without much difficulty?

Also, on a sidenote - do any techies know if you have to be a programming genius with wads of cash to create a magazine app for itunes? Sorry to deviate slightly from the main topic.

And, does anyone know if Apple are looking at sorting out the Flash problem for future gens?

• Paid Members

Pretty much, yes. We always wanted to carry more music with us, hence why we bought casette tapes with more minutes available for recording so we can fit on more songs. That's why we purchased travel cases to carry over a dozen CDs around with us so we can choose what to pop into our Discman.

The second mp3 player I purchased- which was long before the iPod boom- was a Creative Labs 60gb mp3 player. I bought it solely for the purpose that I knew I could fit my entire collection onto it. I even worked out that based on the music I had collated thus far in my life, I would have to live twice to fill up that 60gb player. However, this calculation was based on a shitty bit rate. Before then, I bought an Intel Pocket Concert mp3 player and tried compressing the files in every possible way to fit more songs on there.

The mp3 offered something pretty extraordinary which no other music player previously could- the ability to carry thousands of songs onto a handheld device. You knew that over a few years this would wipe out personal casette and CD players. It completely took over a market that was already there. I can't see the iPad doing that as I don't see a market this could take over and I don't think there is a gap in the market where this is 'needed'. That's not to say it won't sell like hot cakes though initially- it's the latest gadget from Apple after all so it's automatically dubbed the hottest thing around.

Archived