The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

pat, did you ever get beyond the first set of bosses? I will admit the first few levels get a bit samey, but after that it really does pick up when you're dealing with the fleas and such like.

Ill be honest, I got bored about 4/5 stages after the Jumping bros' boss, which were significantly easier that the bloody preceeding stage. What's that all about? Stupid Sign Heads! I was just bored to tears. The whole thing at that point had become mechanical so I gave up. I had no impetus to carry on

Its not a bad game, it just doesnt get us all moist and misty eyed or give me reason to carry on

Added Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck to the nominations. Recently got the Mega CD version which is excellent!

Ron, do you want a version with or without the intro?

I will update the game from a 'random' choice later on today

So we can get inspectin' for the next week

• Paid Members
Added Chuck Rock II: Son of Chuck to the nominations. Recently got the Mega CD version which is excellent!

Ron, do you want a version with or without the intro?

I will update the game from a 'random' choice later on today

So we can get inspectin' for the next week

Either would be fine, gives maximum flexibility to those who are playing the original game and not an emulator. As far as I'm aware the actual game itself doesn't differ much version to version.

• Paid Members

Hmm, well I'm keeping my Chuck Rock II as a suggestion for next week...much better game ;)

That said, I'll post my opinions on Pirates later after I've played it. I didn't like it much back in the day, but sometimes when you replay games you didn't like you end up wondering why that was. Hopefully this will be one of those games.

• Paid Members
Hmm, well I'm keeping my Chuck Rock II as a suggestion for next week...much better game ;)

Tis already in the pot as has been nominated. Seen as there has been so few would be churlish to ignore em

I see! I'll need to throw in a few others too. A question - any idea if the Amiga game "Pirates!" the same as "Pirates Gold!" ? I actually own that game, and I'll use it as my play copy if the games match up.

Tis already in the pot as has been nominated. Seen as there has been so few would be churlish to ignore em

I see! I'll need to throw in a few others too. A question - any idea if the Amiga game "Pirates!" the same as "Pirates Gold!" ? I actually own that game, and I'll use it as my play copy if the games match up.

Check the link out Pirates! Gold is very slightly different but in a similar vein I think only the CD 32 version is the same..

Ive not played owt but the MD /genesis version for eons but it is different So no.. but review that version if you want?

• Paid Members

I tried, I really did... but I just couldn't even begin to get into that game, the entire thing felt a lot like a lot of "build your empire up" type of games from the time (as that's the feel I got from it) in that it just had no direction and with no direction you had no real knowledge of where to go, what to do, and it was all just guess work. I found that all I was doing was sailing around the seas, finding some other boat (be it pirate, english or spanish) fighting them, firing the cannons once, then having to ram them as I had nothing else to do, only to just repeatedly jab the A button and win the sword fight without any actual need to play the game.

As a whole, it was pointless and a waste of time. 0/10. While I love a game that allows you to go wherever and do whatever, there needs to at least be some direction of what you're supposed to at least be doing, and where you are supposed to be going. This game successfully avoids both, leaving you to wander aimlessly.

I tried, I really did... but I just couldn't even begin to get into that game, the entire thing felt a lot like a lot of "build your empire up" type of games from the time (as that's the feel I got from it) in that it just had no direction and with no direction you had no real knowledge of where to go, what to do, and it was all just guess work. I found that all I was doing was sailing around the seas, finding some other boat (be it pirate, english or spanish) fighting them, firing the cannons once, then having to ram them as I had nothing else to do, only to just repeatedly jab the A button and win the sword fight without any actual need to play the game.

As a whole, it was pointless and a waste of time. 0/10. While I love a game that allows you to go wherever and do whatever, there needs to at least be some direction of what you're supposed to at least be doing, and where you are supposed to be going. This game successfully avoids both, leaving you to wander aimlessly.

Fair enough dude. 0/10 though.. blimey proper rubbish then like?

The whole no real knowledge of where to go is what separates games of yesterday and games of today. No signposting, no making it easy and no giving you the game as it were. afaik stopping at ports and going into taverns and asking governors for information tells you all you need to know. The rest is up to you

Its a free spirit pirate sim. you can side with who ever you want. Check the link in the opening post for instructions and the like. The whole point is that you can do what you want, when you want to. You can change what ports are available and what country is in the ascendency by changing the years

Want to be a Dutch pirate despite being English or whatever nationality to start then fight away. you may have to sneak into everyport every and may get put in prision alot but thats part of the intrigue

Boat Battles get easier and Sloops vs Galleons are always fun its about broad siding and running away. you can damage masts hulls and whatever, plunder the cargo take the ship and so forth and so on. You can do the same for forts and exact regime change as well

Its not really an empire building game and if you tire of skirmishes and raiding ports, you can do missions for governors capture other pirates for ransom or information and find your family.

All this helps with your final score.

Mmm Ill have a ponder I will write a proper inspection if I get time later on..