Upcoming DVD releases

AshC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I got from the DVD was that WWE didn't want to push him but the talent depth was/is so bad they had to because there was no one else. Jim Ross saying "CM Punk was elevated to the main event by working with the Undertaker" was quite hilarious. If JR didn't permanently have a straight face I doubt he'd have kept one while saying that. The Undertaker feud almost killed him off. The DVD did go a long way to explaining why they never put him in main event slots without John Cena sellotaped to him, though. Michael Hayes, Triple H, Scott Armstrong and John Cena's talking heads keep drilling it into you. Works hard, looks like a tramp. I did enjoy Michael Hayes burying Heyman for being a liar, though.

The Punk DVD is 2nd behind Austin's imo. But there was some gaps in time that seemed to vanish on his story. Like he was on OWV and all the sudden he wins Money in the Bank after being in ECW for a bit. I can't remember back then but did he ever get stuck in mid card hell or anything? I can't recall.

And why does he look like a tramp? I think you just hate him. Punk is awesome.

SilverVision put on their Facebook page on Friday a status along the lines of "Have you found any of the easter eggs on the CM Punk set yet?", so it could still be on there.

Not going by silver visions list of them

http://www.silvervision.co.uk/static-pages...ggs.html#cmpunk

didn't make the final cut, just a couple of snippets that don't really add anything. One being a story about how he gets all the divas something for valentines day (probs cos hes been inside most of them) and why he calls his tour bus Black Maria (which is a Texas Chainsaw Massacre reference). Your not missing anything if you dont see them.

the 'Wrestlemania Day' segement on the blu-ray is pretty cool though.

Overall, a very good piece from WWE. The documentary is good and was nice to see IWA and ROH footage in there too as well as Punk saying about how he'd be working everywhere to try and make it ("Nashville on Wednesdays"). Always good to hear Michael Hayes and Paul Heyman giving their thoughts on things, and Regal is great in his talking head parts too. Curt Hawkins is just happy to be included on something, and Ace Steel looks as intense as ever

For me though, and whilst the selection of matches included is good, I think it could have been better:

* The OVW match against Brent Albright starts out at a lightning pace and then goes to pot when Punk injures his knee. Maybe they could have included the Strap Match they had instead of this one (which Punk actually won)

* ECW debut is in place as it should be, but then the next match is from over a year later in which Punk had been involved with D-X and the Hardys at Survivor Series and had an angle with the two ECW stables (ECW Originals and The New Breed) trying to acquire his services, yet none of these are included. I'm not saying that you have to include everything on a week by week basis, but as I have said before I would have at least included the Tables Matchwith the ECW Originals vs. the New Breed from One Night Stand 2007.

* Punk and Kofi winning the tag titles is an OK TV match, but didnt really do anything for either mans standing at the time.

* TLC Match with Jeff Hardy is great as we all remember, and it includes the post-match chokeslam from Undertaker, but didn't include either there match from Breaking Point (Undertaker's only 'submission' loss?...sort of) or Hell In A Cell match (which would have been the better of the two).

* vs. Rey Mysterio from Over the Limit is really good, despite the break were the ref has to look at the hardway cut Punk suffers

* the MITB vs. John Cena has the greatest crowd heat ever in my opinion, yet there is nothing from the remainder of 2011 after this, it skips straight to Wrestlemania 28 vs. Chris Jericho. In this time, he had unified the WWE titles against John Cena at Summerslan, had a Russo-riffic PPV match with Triple H, the first ever triple threat HIAC match, win the WWE title for a second time from ADR and had a great triple threat TLC match vs. ADR and The Miz. I'd have included the Triple H match and the TLC three way.

* The match vs. Daniel Bryan from Over the Limit 2012 is a good one to finish with.

Like I say, Im not trying to say that the match selection is bad. I just think it could have been better with a few other additions. You have 11 matches on the set (12 on the Blu-Ray), if they could have bumped it upto 14/15, i think it could have been an amazing set rather than a very good set. Would have been really nice to have maybe got an ROH match on there (maybe one from the Raven feud), but thats me really dreaming now

* ECW debut is in place as it should be, but then the next match is from over a year later in which Punk had been involved with D-X and the Hardys at Survivor Series and had an angle with the two ECW stables (ECW Originals and The New Breed) trying to acquire his services, yet none of these are included. I'm not saying that you have to include everything on a week by week basis, but as I have said before I would have at least included the Tables Matchwith the ECW Originals vs. the New Breed from One Night Stand 2007.

I agree with what you said re: New Breed, but your chronology is out here - the Survivor Series match with the Hardys and DX is from Survivor Series 2006. The narrative then goes on to state how Punk was buried after Heyman left at the end of 2006 and then to the ECW Title win in September 2007 - a 9 month skip but due to the previously mentioned burial he wasn't doing that much anyway prior to that...

I see what your saying, and I wasn't being clear first time round. I was meaning that there is over a one year between his ECW debut and the Morrison match, during which time he had being involved in the angles and matches I mentioned. They could have included the Tables Match from One Night Stand to fill in the gap. Going from August to September 2007 is a massive jump, they made it look like he did nothing of worth between those times

I see what your saying, and I wasn't being clear first time round. I was meaning that there is over a one year between his ECW debut and the Morrison match, during which time he had being involved in the angles and matches I mentioned. They could have included the Tables Match from One Night Stand to fill in the gap. Going from August to September 2007 is a massive jump, they made it look like he did nothing of worth between those times

I don't recall the Tables match, but the rematch from WM on the ECW TV show was awesome - don't know if they would have put it in there though as New Breed went over... Didn't Punk also bury most of his ECW series with Morrison prior to the one where he won the belt that is included on the set? I think he also had a pretty flakey match with Burke at the time which wasn't up to much.... did he do anything else worthwhile in that time?

From what they did include, I would have cut the Kingston tag match, and would have included perhaps the Chavo Gulf Stream match from ECW, which was a fun little match, the title win vs Del Rio from last year, and the TLC match from last year as they were both standout moments from his current run...

Also loved that they included the commercial break bits from TV matches - when did they start doing that?

Didn't Punk also bury most of his ECW series with Morrison prior to the one where he won the belt that is included on the set?

Yeah, he said their series was crap until the last match of the feud. I watched that match last night for the first time and it is excellent. I don't remember the crowds being massively into anything on the new ECW (outside of the Hammerstein Ballroom) but they really got into that one.

I can't believe I didn't get the movie reference in the bit after the end credits of the documentary. Mary-Kate (former ECW superfan & ROH photographer) pointed it out on Twitter last night ...

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

When Punk walks into the hallway (apparently of his bus) in a bathrobe and says "it's over, go home" it definitely seemed familiar. It is a homage to the end scene of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Nice Chicago connection there.

I don't recall the Tables match, but the rematch from WM on the ECW TV show was awesome - don't know if they would have put it in there though as New Breed went over... Didn't Punk also bury most of his ECW series with Morrison prior to the one where he won the belt that is included on the set? I think he also had a pretty flakey match with Burke at the time which wasn't up to much.... did he do anything else worthwhile in that time?

From what they did include, I would have cut the Kingston tag match, and would have included perhaps the Chavo Gulf Stream match from ECW, which was a fun little match, the title win vs Del Rio from last year, and the TLC match from last year as they were both standout moments from his current run...

Also loved that they included the commercial break bits from TV matches - when did they start doing that?

- Tables Match

• 5 weeks later...

Just watched the new NWO documentary. It's always great to see classic NWO footage and it managed to not descend too much into a "WCW was the worst" direction which WWE likes to promote. Just wish it had been a bit longer. It's hurt by using a lot of old interviews from other releases, so it feels a bit chopped together, but what can you do? Just surprised they haven't promoted it more, and the fact they have Luger and Russo giving new interviews is a nice plus.

Cody seemed like an odd choice initially, but provided some great insight from his perspective.

Though it felt at times like an extended WWE 24/7 feature, it was still a good watch.

attitude era dvd listings

Silvervision would have usually had these up by now but without them this is the first I've seen of it, its quite an odd compliation

DISC 1

Documentary:

The Birth of Attitude

Entrance Music

D-Generation X

Austin vs. McMahon

Long-Arching Stories

Innovations

New Demographic

Critics

Expansion

Comedy

Wealth of Talent

The World Was Watching

Watershed Period

Jim Ross interviews Goldust & Marlena

Raw – Nov 3, 1997

Steve Austin Throws the InterContinental Championship Off A Bridge

Raw – Dec 15, 1997

Soldier of Love

Raw – May 4, 1998

Mr McMahon Presents Mankind with the WWE Hardcore Championship

Raw – Nov 2, 1998

Jim Ross Interviews Triple H

Sunday Night Heat – July 25, 1999

An Evening At The Friendly Tap

SmackDown! – Jan 20, 2000

Mae Young and the Acolyte Protection Agency

SmackDown! – Jan 27, 2000

“The Jug Band”

Judgment Day 2000

Triple H Trains Trish Stratus

SmackDown! – July 27, 2000

Edges Totally Awesome Birthday

Raw – Oct 30, 2000

The Rocks Message to His Hell in a Cell Opponents

Raw – Dec 4, 2000

GTV

DISC 2

Mike Tyson Joins DX

Raw – Mar 2, 1998

A New Beginning For D-Generation X

Raw – March 30, 1998

Sable vs. “Marvelous” Marc Mero

Raw – May 11, 1998

Nation of Degeneration

Raw – July 6, 1998

Brawl for All Match

Bart Gunn vs. “Dr Death” Steve Williams

Raw – July 27, 1998

Four Corners Match for the WWE Tag Team Championship

The Undertaker & Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Kane & Mankind vs. The New Age Outlaws vs. The Rock & Owen Hart

Raw – Aug 10, 1998

Lions Den Match

Ken Shamrock vs. Owen Hart

SummerSlam 1998

Finals of WWE Championship Tournament

The Rock vs. Mankind

Survivor Series 1998

The Rock & The Undertaker vs. Mankind & Stone Cold Steve Austin

Raw – Dec 7, 1998

Austin Gives The Corporation A Beer Bath

Raw – March 22, 1999

The Undertaker vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin

Raw – June 28, 1999

The Debut of Y2J

Raw – Aug 9, 1999

DISC 3

Content still to be confirmed.

Special Features

(Expected Best Buy Exclusive)

GTV – Al Snow & Head

Mae Young Gives Birth

Raw – Feb 28, 2000

WWE Womens Championship Match

Lita vs. Stephanie McMahon-Helmsley

Raw – June 12, 2000

The Dudley Boyz vs. The Hardy Boyz

Raw – July 17, 2000

BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVES

King of Kings Match

Ken Shamrock vs. Triple H vs. Owen Hart

Raw – June 29, 1998

The Oddities w/ Insane Clown Posse vs. The Headbangers

Raw – Sept 28, 1998

The Truth About Sammy

Raw – Jan 18, 1999

The Unholy Union of Stephanie McMahon & The Undertaker

Raw – April 26, 1999

The Rock vs. Val Venis

SmackDown – Oct 7, 1999

Survivor Series Elimination Match

Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Kane & Shane McMahon vs. Triple H, X-Pac & The New Age Outlaws

SmackDown – Nov 4, 1999

WWE Hardcore Championship Match

Al Snow vs. Crash Holly

SmackDown – June 29, 2000

The Hardy Boyz & Lita vs. Perry Saturn, Eddie Guerrero & Dean Malenko

SmackDown – Nov 30, 2000

Chris Jericho & The Dudley Boyz vs. Kurt Angle, Edge & Christian

Raw – Dec 25, 2000

Disk 3 content is....

European & Intercontinental Championship Match

DLo Brown vs. Jeff Jarrett

SummerSlam 1999

Buried Alive Match for the WWE Tag Team Championship

The Rock & Mankind vs. The Undertaker & Big Show

SmackDown! – Sept 9, 1999

Stone Cold & Jim Ross vs. Triple H & Chyna

Raw – Oct 11, 1999

Boss Mans Sympathy for Big Shows Dad

Raw – Nov 18, 1999

The Wedding of Stephanie McMahon & Andrew “Test” Martin

Raw – Nov 29, 1999

The Godfather & DLo Brown vs. Too Cool

SmackDown – Jan 27, 2000

WWE Hardcore Championship Match

Hardcore Holly vs. Crash Holly

Raw – March 27, 2000

WWE Championship Match

Chris Jericho vs. Eddie Guerrero

Raw – April 3, 2000

Steel Cage Match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship

Rikishi vs. Val Venis

Fully Loaded 2000

Tables, Ladders & Chairs Match for the World Tag Team Championship

Edge & Christian vs. The Hardy Boyz vs. The Dudley Boyz

SummerSlam 2000

Hell in A Cell Match for the WWE Championship

Kurt Angle vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Rock vs. Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Rikishi

Armageddon 2000

http://www.wwedvdnews.com/match-listing-ww...-era-dvd/29902/

Archived