Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

I heard this formation being referred to on Super Scoreboard earlier on as a 4-6-0, which I sincerely hope it isn't. There is being hard to beat and just killing the fucking game. Sort it out and at least play Mackie as a striker (from what I understand, he will be tracking back to midfield as well).

I don't understand how this formation "doesn't suit Kenny Miller". I'm not one of the Celtic conspiracy theorists who thinks it was all masonic handshakes and laughter between Walter Smith and Craig Levein, but I think something's rotten in the state of Denmark concerning the whole palava.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't for a minute believe that there's anything between Walter Smith and Craig Levein (the fact that there are three other Rangers players in the team completely disproves that theory {if such a theory even exists}) but it utterly beggars belief that for years Kenny Miller has been one of the first names on a Scotland manager's team sheet, whether in good form, bad form or indifferent. Then Miller hits the hottest goalscoring streak of his career - including the vital equalising goal in his last international - and is dropped for a game against our biggest group rivals.

The only explanation is that Craig Levein is out of his depth at this level. And that possibility is furthered by the fact that he picks Gary Caldwell - who hasn't kicked a ball this season - to play in midfield, a role in which he was ritually ridiculed by Celtic fans whenever Gordon Strachan took the brainwave to play him there. Why not play Charlie Adam, a guy who has been getting glowing reports for his performances in the Premier League this season?

Baffling team selection. I've never rated Craig Levein as a manager anyway, but he isn't doing himself any favours at all with that team. The Scottish press seem to love nothing more than to get on the back of an ailing national manager.

Fletcher and Caldwell as holding midfielders, Dorrans and Morrison playing in front of them with Mackie and Naismith as wide players.........no central stiker was the plan and it looks like that is what they are going to try, this is a huge huge gamble by Levein.

Miller apparently 'leaked' the team to the SUN via his agents media buddies after finding out he was dropped which is a poor show if true.

• Paid Members

Levein got an easy ride after that Liechtenstein debacle. He should have been handed his cards then and told to leave. He got off very easily, even with the fans, with that last minute goal shit. It was an absolutely diabolical performance.

We'll probably win tonight as well. I'll guess 2-1.

Miller apparently 'leaked' the team to the SUN via his agents media buddies after finding out he was dropped which is a poor show if true.

Where did you see this ?

Just from someone i know Haraga, i believe they also hinted towards it on the radio this morning without going as far as saying it in as many words as that.

I really, really hope this works for Levein as he's potentially got a large chunk of the tabloid press now waiting for the chance to jump on and slaughter him if it goes pear shaped tonight.

I don't see what's wrong with Miller leaking the story. He's the most form striker in the country just now, aguably the UK and he's forced to sit on the bench in a game that would suit him to the ground.

Exactly why I don't support Scotland. Full of Partick Thistle and Aberdeen fans anyways. Only time they get to go away in Europe. (Or an other national team before anyone comes in)

• Paid Members

Ugh. What horrible negative football. It really is a 4-6-0. Total joke.

People have been critical of Walter Smiths tactics against foreign teams but at least he plays one up front.

Levein's so-called tactical knowledge is clearly a myth.

Exactly why I don't support Scotland. Full of Partick Thistle and Aberdeen fans anyways. Only time they get to go away in Europe. (Or an other national team before anyone comes in)

I've no great love for the National team either - mainly because the whole "Tartan Army" shite bores me. The few away trips I have been on I've seen far too many self-important pricks who think of themselves as unofficial Policemen/Leaders of the "Tartan Army".

Oh and Aberdeen had an away trip to the Czech Republic last season! :p

I don't see what's wrong with Miller leaking the story. He's the most form striker in the country just now, aguably the UK and he's forced to sit on the bench in a game that would suit him to the ground.

It's childish behaviour. Fair enough he has been dropped from the team, he has every right to be disappointed by that (though maybe, just maybe, Craig Levein has looked past his SPL form and noticed that Miller never scores for Rangers in Europe and has 1 goal in 14 internationals) but to run off to the press and leak the team is the sort of thing I'd be sad to see my seven year-old do.

That said, it seems to have taken Craig Levein three competitive fixtures to bring Scotland down to the level of an Andorra or a Luxembourg. 4-6-0? Shocking. What makes it even more difficult to swallow is seeing Northern Ireland - a nation of similar international standing - gain another in a series of great results, holding Italy in Belfast. What are they doing right that we aren't...?

Archived