Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just caught a bit of the Rangers game. A dull affair but it always is with Smith in Europe - they'll be happy to pick up a plucky 1-0 victory. None of the Bursaspor players really impressed that much. Vladimir Weiss was exceptional and definitely a MOTM candidate.

How did you watch the game and come out saying how exceptional Vladimir Weiss was? He didn't play.

Just caught a bit of the Rangers game. A dull affair but it always is with Smith in Europe - they'll be happy to pick up a plucky 1-0 victory. None of the Bursaspor players really impressed that much. Vladimir Weiss was exceptional and definitely a MOTM candidate.

How did you watch the game and come out saying how exceptional Vladimir Weiss was? He didn't play.

implied-facepalm.jpg

While Rangers have made a very good start to their Champions League campaign - that cannot be argued - some of the stuff printed in the Scottish press yesterday and today has been pitiful. It's hard to say whether it is a matter of poor journalism (when the people in question are Hugh Keevins and Andy Devlin, this can't be ruled out) or just downright lying.

For example, it has been 'reported' several times that the title-winning Bursaspor team was assembled at a cost of between

• Paid Members

Yeah, the whole Scottish press have went a bit hysterical after the Rangers win this week. You'd have thought they have qualified already. ;)

I'd say they need one more win to at least get a Europa League place. I don't see Bursaspor winning their last few games. Rangers must ideally aim for that Europa place, anything else is a bonus.

There's usually a good reason why 'journalists' find their level as tabloid hacks. They're not exactly to be taken seriously.

What does annoy me in Scottish Football just now is that debacle at about midnight on a Monday called Sportscene. Who on earth decided that viewers only want to see 2 or 3 minutes from each game, and would rather listen to these hacks, pundits and ex-players (who can barely string a meaningful sentence together) bullshitting us with the most watered down, inane, cliched shit imaginable, and passing it off as 'analysis'? . And what a nice time for the kids too.

No wonder things are in such a mess when that embarrassment is what we have as our showpiece weekly roundup programme. Saturday night Sportscene and Sunday afternoon Scotsport seem like an eternity ago.

Good win for us against a very up for it Hearts side. I fully expect Soapy to moan about a "typical Rangers performance" any minute now, mind. Strangely that's three times this season that Laugherty has showed signs of brilliance, that free kick was awesome. Thankfully he was back on form minutes later by Iwelumo-ing a clear cut chance to win it.

Reading in the papers this morning that Nikica Jelavic is going to be out for an extended period of time due to requiring ankle surgery, thus missing the first Old Firm game of the season.

I'm sure it comes as a blow to Rangers fans but I think his importance in the derby game is probably overstated - I don't imagine he would have been starting, and would most likely have featured as a late sub if at all. I expect Rangers to line up at CP with: McGregor, Whittaker, Bougherra, Weir, Papac, Broadfoot, Edu, McCulloch, Davis, Naismith and Miller.

Celtic will probably be something like: Forster, Cha, Loovens, Majstorovic, Izaguirre, Brown, Ledley, Juarez, Maloney, Hooper and Stokes/Samaras. If Izzy's not fit, then Ledley will play left back and both Stokes and Samaras will play, probably.

Reading in the papers this morning that Nikica Jelavic is going to be out for an extended period of time due to requiring ankle surgery, thus missing the first Old Firm game of the season.

I'm sure it comes as a blow to Rangers fans but I think his importance in the derby game is probably overstated - I don't imagine he would have been starting, and would most likely have featured as a late sub if at all. I expect Rangers to line up at CP with: McGregor, Whittaker, Bougherra, Weir, Papac, Broadfoot, Edu, McCulloch, Davis, Naismith and Miller.

Celtic will probably be something like: Forster, Cha, Loovens, Majstorovic, Izaguirre, Brown, Ledley, Juarez, Maloney, Hooper and Stokes/Samaras. If Izzy's not fit, then Ledley will play left back and both Stokes and Samaras will play, probably.

For once, I don't think you're that far off the mark there. Infact, I think that's what the Rangers team will be.

Archived