Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Is this the excuses from Neil Lennon starting already?

Neil Lennon last night hit out at David Goodwillie and dared Dundee United to beat Rangers and dent their own European chances.

The Celtic manager is smarting after United and Scotland ace Goodwillie revealed he wants the Light Blues to win the SPL.

Lennon revealed he will be watching closely in the next eight days to see if the efforts from Rangers' opponents match the endeavour shown by Inverness Caley Thistle against his side in midweek.

The Old Firm are fighting it out for the championship with just three games to play - and United will visit Ibrox on Tuesday.

Goodwillie put a spoke in the Ibrox title bid when he scored to give United a 3-2 victory last month but Walter Smith's side are now a point to the good after Celtic's loss in the Highlands.

A championship success for Rangers would guarantee United a tilt at the Europa League next season, which prompted Goodwillie's comments as he picked up his Young Player of the Year award at the PFA bash last Sunday.

But Lennon reckons he should have kept his mouth shut and claims scenarios thrown up by the split, where teams can do each other favours when it comes to dishing out prizes, are "nonsense".

He said: "Dundee United want Rangers to win the league by all accounts.

"You heard Goodwillie's comments and I know what he meant but it tells a story.

"I don't think he needed to make that public. It'll cast a lot of aspersions.

"It was an ill-timed comment at this stage of the season and I'm sure he will learn from it.

"In saying that, I've no doubts Peter Houston will take his team there to win the game because he's too professional.

"This is where the split becomes a problem and it's nonsense. Let's get back to a normal season."

Asked if he hoped Rangers' opponents in their final three games - Hearts today, United on Tuesday then Kilmarnock on Sunday week - play at the same tempo as Inverness, Lennon said: "I don't think it's too much to ask. There's professional pride at stake. I'll be watching with interest."

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this the excuses from Neil Lennon starting already?

Neil Lennon last night hit out at David Goodwillie and dared Dundee United to beat Rangers and dent their own European chances.

The Celtic manager is smarting after United and Scotland ace Goodwillie revealed he wants the Light Blues to win the SPL.

Lennon revealed he will be watching closely in the next eight days to see if the efforts from Rangers' opponents match the endeavour shown by Inverness Caley Thistle against his side in midweek.

The Old Firm are fighting it out for the championship with just three games to play - and United will visit Ibrox on Tuesday.

Goodwillie put a spoke in the Ibrox title bid when he scored to give United a 3-2 victory last month but Walter Smith's side are now a point to the good after Celtic's loss in the Highlands.

A championship success for Rangers would guarantee United a tilt at the Europa League next season, which prompted Goodwillie's comments as he picked up his Young Player of the Year award at the PFA bash last Sunday.

But Lennon reckons he should have kept his mouth shut and claims scenarios thrown up by the split, where teams can do each other favours when it comes to dishing out prizes, are "nonsense".

He said: "Dundee United want Rangers to win the league by all accounts.

"You heard Goodwillie's comments and I know what he meant but it tells a story.

"I don't think he needed to make that public. It'll cast a lot of aspersions.

"It was an ill-timed comment at this stage of the season and I'm sure he will learn from it.

"In saying that, I've no doubts Peter Houston will take his team there to win the game because he's too professional.

"This is where the split becomes a problem and it's nonsense. Let's get back to a normal season."

Asked if he hoped Rangers' opponents in their final three games - Hearts today, United on Tuesday then Kilmarnock on Sunday week - play at the same tempo as Inverness, Lennon said: "I don't think it's too much to ask. There's professional pride at stake. I'll be watching with interest."

Seems like a Fergie move to me. Air your grievance beforehand and get the country's attention on it. No point moaning afterwards.

Celtic are a slick PR machine nowadays.

• Paid Members

It's also worth noting that this is coming for Neil Lennon. A man who is as popular as a child rapist in certain areas of football. Who knows some may play bad just for that nice image of sending Neil Lennon into a rage.

It's also worth noting that this is coming for Neil Lennon. A man who is as popular as a child rapist in certain areas of football. Who knows some may play bad just for that nice image of sending Neil Lennon into a rage.

Yeah, I'm sure that the players of Dundee United are more than willing to forfeit their win bonus in order to shaft Celtic. Especially when you consider the amount they likely get paid by United.

Yeah, I'm sure that the players of Dundee United are more than willing to forfeit their win bonus in order to shaft Celtic. Especially when you consider the amount they likely get paid by United.

I am sure the European bonus is more than that. They aren't shafting Celtic, they are helping themselves. This sort of thing happens regularly in football it is nothing unusual but why shouldn't the manager who stands to lose out shine some light on the situation?

As a United fan, I want us to get into Europe. If we lose to Rangers it's only inevitable that Celtic fans will start moaning, but it's not our fault you choked against ICT and Celtic are still in with a chance of the league because of our recent victory over Rangers at Ibrox.

• Paid Members

I am sure the European bonus is more than that. They aren't shafting Celtic, they are helping themselves. This sort of thing happens regularly in football it is nothing unusual but why shouldn't the manager who stands to lose out shine some light on the situation?

Rangers are in the same position though. Motherwell play Celtic last and are guaranteed Europe if Celtic win the League.

That said, looking at Lennon's comments on their own, I don't really see much wrong with them. He's right that it was really bad timing for Goodwillie's comments since, they are inevitably going to get taken out of context.

Tremendous result for Rangers today. Hopefully we can keep this run of form going 'till the end of the season.

The fact is Celtic chocked against ICT and now the title is in our hands we played great yesterday and got the 3 points we need now as long as we win the next two games it dosent matter what they do we will win the title that simple they fucked up and we took advantae comes down to bottle and they have none simple as that

The fact is Celtic chocked against ICT and now the tittle is in our hands we played great yesterday and got the 3 points we need now as long as we win the next two games it dosent matter what they do we will win the tittle that simple they fucked up and we took advantae comes down to bottle and they have none simple as that

Tittle?

The fact is Celtic chocked against ICT and now the tittle is in our hands we played great yesterday and got the 3 points we need now as long as we win the next two games it dosent matter what they do we will win the tittle that simple they fucked up and we took advantae comes down to bottle and they have none simple as that

Tittle?

Well if Lennon wins it, it shall get renamed TITtle, after him.

The Romanov circus is kicking off again over at Hearts it would appear;

Hearts captain Marius Zaliukas missed the defeat by Rangers on the order of club owner Vladimir Romanov.

Manager Jim Jefferies told the defender of the decision after a phone call from Lithuania before Saturday's game.

When asked about the Lithuanian's absence, Jefferies said: "He wasn't available for selection - that's as much as I'm going to say on it."

Zaliukas was also frozen out of the team until October as he stalled on accepting a permanent contract offer.

However, the player was eventually brought back into the side and agreed a new deal in November to keep him at Tynecastle until 2013.

The 27-year-old joined Hearts from Kaunas, who are sponsored by Romanov's bank Ukio Bankas, on-loan in August 2006 and quickly became a regular in the first team.

Manager Jim Jefferies appointed him as club captain last summer following the departure of Michael Stewart - despite the player failing to agree a new deal.

Romanov will attend Tynecastle on Wednesday for Hearts' last home match of this Scottish Premier League season against Celtic.

Since taking over the Tynecastle club in February 2005, Romanov has seen off six different managers, with suggestions that the businessman wanted to have a say in team selection.

I've since heard a rumour that Jim Jeffries has either walked or been sacked. Not sure how much truth there is to that though.

Tittle?

Well if Lennon wins it, it shall get renamed TITtle, after him.

whoops lol well that was a massive typo lol

Barry Smith signs a 3 year deal at Dundee. Fan fucking tastic news for us. 3 defeats under him since Oct, the longest undefeated league run in our history and some great passing stuff. Stephen O'Donnell signs a 1 year deal also. Great day for us of the Dundee persuasion.

Archived