Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Going back to the Celtic/Aberdeen game at Hampden, I'm usually cautious of all opponents but at times, I find it hard to take the Dons seriously: not because they are a poor team or a mob of bottlers, but because my brother-in-law is a die-hard season ticket holder at Pittodrie. Time and time again, he works himself into a frenzy only to be disappointed: Queen of the South, the Celtic semi in January etc being examples. He litters his Facebook with rallying war-cries and loads of Aberdeen propaganda: personally, I think he's a jinx!

Oh, and the Rangers stuff that's coming out today is semi-inducing.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Going back to the Celtic/Aberdeen game at Hampden, I'm usually cautious of all opponents but at times, I find it hard to take the Dons seriously: not because they are a poor team or a mob of bottlers, but because my brother-in-law is a die-hard season ticket holder at Pittodrie. Time and time again, he works himself into a frenzy only to be disappointed: Queen of the South, the Celtic semi in January etc being examples. He litters his Facebook with rallying war-cries and loads of Aberdeen propaganda: personally, I think he's a jinx!

Oh, and the Rangers stuff that's coming out today is semi-inducing.

Yeah I see a lot of people get excited. But I'm used to disapointments, so I don't get too worked up. Usually a win is a bonus for me. :(

• Paid Members
SFA Statement on Neil Lennon misconduct charge

Friday, 01 April 2011

In October 2010, the Scottish FA announced that a review of its Disciplinary Procedures would be undertaken to provide greater transparency and urgency in dealing with individual cases. This review would also seek to identify areas where changes were required to ensure the rules were legally enforceable.

Given the increasingly high stakes in football and the millions of pounds clubs are competing for in Europe, rules written by administrators to govern member clubs of the Scottish FA are being challenged on legal grounds. This is creating a situation where substantial sums are being invested in legal fees at a time when the game simply cannot afford it.

One such case is the recent misconduct charge involving Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, following the Old Firm match on 2nd March 2011. As a result of his behaviour on the night, Lennon was issued with an automatic four match suspension which came on top of a previous four match suspension relating to a separate incident. Based on custom and practice the Scottish FA indicated to Celtic that the second suspension should be applied consecutively meaning that the manager would miss all matches up to and including 17th April 2011.

The club accepted that the manager was guilty of the misconduct charge but challenged the application of the rule insisting that it was not clearly stated that the two suspensions should run consecutively. Their legal advice suggested that the two suspensions should run concurrently.

The Scottish FA has received independent counsel advice on this point and regrettably has been advised that its interpretation of the rule is legally unenforceable. As such, the club have been notified that Lennon can return to the dugout on 9th April 2011.

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive said: "We have discussed the matter with Celtic Football Club and they accept that Neil Lennon was guilty of misconduct. However, with regard to the timing of the suspension we must accept that if our rules cannot be enforced in a court of law then they cannot be imposed and it is foolish to waste money defending such a point. We acknowledge that our rules do need updating and I have proposed to our Board that we commission a complete re-write of the Disciplinary Procedures from a legal perspective to address this whole matter.

"In addition, we will be debating this matter with our Council later this month. Whilst we have an obligation to ensure that our rules can be legally enforced, nevertheless it is important for the future of Scottish football that we do not allow our disciplinary procedures to be used as a costly legal playground. We must ensure we can reach a happy balance where every decision is not subject to an appeal and football can self-govern without constant legal interventions."

• Paid Members

Friday, 01 April 2011

In October 2010, the Scottish FA announced that a review of its Disciplinary Procedures would be undertaken to provide greater transparency and urgency in dealing with individual cases. This review would also seek to identify areas where changes were required to ensure the rules were legally enforceable.

Given the increasingly high stakes in football and the millions of pounds clubs are competing for in Europe, rules written by administrators to govern member clubs of the Scottish FA are being challenged on legal grounds. This is creating a situation where substantial sums are being invested in legal fees at a time when the game simply cannot afford it.

One such case is the recent misconduct charge involving Celtic manager, Neil Lennon, following the Old Firm match on 2nd March 2011. As a result of his behaviour on the night, Lennon was issued with an automatic four match suspension which came on top of a previous four match suspension relating to a separate incident. Based on custom and practice the Scottish FA indicated to Celtic that the second suspension should be applied consecutively meaning that the manager would miss all matches up to and including 17th April 2011.

The club accepted that the manager was guilty of the misconduct charge but challenged the application of the rule insisting that it was not clearly stated that the two suspensions should run consecutively. Their legal advice suggested that the two suspensions should run concurrently.

The Scottish FA has received independent counsel advice on this point and regrettably has been advised that its interpretation of the rule is legally unenforceable. As such, the club have been notified that Lennon can return to the dugout on 9th April 2011.

Stewart Regan, Scottish FA Chief Executive said: "We have discussed the matter with Celtic Football Club and they accept that Neil Lennon was guilty of misconduct. However, with regard to the timing of the suspension we must accept that if our rules cannot be enforced in a court of law then they cannot be imposed and it is foolish to waste money defending such a point. We acknowledge that our rules do need updating and I have proposed to our Board that we commission a complete re-write of the Disciplinary Procedures from a legal perspective to address this whole matter.

"In addition, we will be debating this matter with our Council later this month. Whilst we have an obligation to ensure that our rules can be legally enforced, nevertheless it is important for the future of Scottish football that we do not allow our disciplinary procedures to be used as a costly legal playground. We must ensure we can reach a happy balance where every decision is not subject to an appeal and football can self-govern without constant legal interventions."

Oh FFS! Not this crap again! :rolleyes:

Regarding Neil Lennon's touchline ban.

The SFA have recognised that their "interpretation of the rule is legally unenforceable" (that's the rules they made up, by the way) and Lennon will serve his bans concurrently.

WE note the lengthy statement issued today by the SFA in connection with the very straightforward issue of Neil Lennon

Friday, 01 April 2011

These worms could slide under the belly of a snake.

Well done to Celtic and Paul McBride QC for not allowing another episode in this charade. The SFA are a fucking terrible football organisation.

• Paid Members

Friday, 01 April 2011

These worms could slide under the belly of a snake.

Well done to Celtic and Paul McBride QC for not allowing another episode in this charade. The SFA are a fucking terrible football organisation.

Oh come on - you know as well as I do this particular rule was wide open to interpretation. This is the sort of thing that should be set in stone though. How the fuck a football organisation can't even run it's disciplinary procedures and punishments is unbelievable.

Honestly, would you be like this if this was Rangers and Walter Smith in this situation?

Well done to Celtic and Paul McBride for further exposing how hopeless the SFA are though.

I know if it was Aberdeen I'd want them to use any means necessary to find a loophole that would avoid punishment if it was possible.

• Paid Members
Inverness CT P-P Celtic

Inverness Caledonian Thistle's lunchtime kick-off against Scottish Premier League leaders Celtic has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

The surface at the Caledonian Stadium was deemed unplayable following a 1000 BST inspection.

Another wonderfully late decision by those in charge of our game. :rolleyes:

• Paid Members
Inverness CT P-P Celtic

Inverness Caledonian Thistle's lunchtime kick-off against Scottish Premier League leaders Celtic has been postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

The surface at the Caledonian Stadium was deemed unplayable following a 1000 BST inspection.

NO! NO! NO! CELTIC WERE ON MY COUPON! ARGH! FFS!

Inverness CT P-P Celtic

Inverness are to blame for this. Covers on the pitch would've stopped it and they were warned this could happen when a game against Celtic was postponed 2 weeks ago. They are a shambles of a club and a so run like a Junior team. Terry Butcher was right when he said most people want them relegated.

Archived