Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

Looks like Blackburn won't be after a transfer fee for Diouf... which is bad news, as I was hoping we couldn't afford him.

I'm sure the players available in his wage bracket in the summer will be of a higher & more reliable quality.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Blackburn won't be after a transfer fee for Diouf... which is bad news, as I was hoping we couldn't afford him.

I'm sure the players available in his wage bracket in the summer will be of a higher & more reliable quality.

If he's happy for a wage cut, could be a squad player for us.

It's interesting how Soapy continually posts stuff from the discredited Graham Spiers, a man sacked from every paper he's ever written for down to his insistence on writing absolute fabrication week on week.

Did Graham Spiers fabricate the singing of the UEFA-banned Billy Boys and The Famine Song by Rangers supporters on Sunday?

LOL "The UEFA banned". UEFA banned standing at games, yet countless clubs still do it. Should we dock them points?

Graham Spiers's article wasn't about standing at games. It was about the sectarian singing of Rangers supporters at the CIS Cup final, which you apparently think was fabricated.

The Billy Boys has been banned by UEFA. I don't believe that Rangers should be docked points for their fans continued insistence on singing the song. But I do think that the club should be more pro-active in rooting out such songs. Their current stance of occassionally pleading with fans not to sing songs such as The Billy Boys because it might get them in trouble isn't working.

What else can they do other than ask people not to sing it?

For a start, instead of asking people not to sing anti-Catholic songs because it might get Rangers in trouble, tell them to stop singing anti-Catholic songs because it is wrong in a modern, inclusive society. And don't repeat the message every four months before a European trip abroad, because the behaviour of the travelling support was highlighted last time. Do it every week.

Anyone found to be indulging in sectarian chanting at any ground should be identified by stewards and/or CCTV and banned from attending any football match in the country. They should also be handed over to the police for further punishment.

That goes for every club, not just Rangers (and Celtic).

How do people feel about other clubs' tops being worn in their grounds btw?

There was an arguement a while back on the Morton forums about OF tops being seen in the home end. Now, I don't think Morton are in a position to be knocking back a good number of people because of what they are wearing and so I don't really care what tops are in the home end so long as those people are there to support Morton that day. There was a few Dunfermline supporters in with us ( wearing their colours I might add ) and they got right into the spirit of things, and nobody batted an eyelid so I'm guessing that it's more of an "Old Firm boooooooo" kind of thing.

What are people's thoughts on it?

I'd wager that bringing in Old Firm fans isn't a problem for Motherwell, or at least a big one?

That's the thing with Morton. There's a LOT of kids coming in with OF tops. I used to be one of these kids actually, as my big bro tried to get me supporting Rangers nearly 20 years ago. I'm not sure that knocking potential Morton supporters back at the gate is a very good idea at all. You could probably knock at least 100 off of a Morton attendance if you got rid of the OF tops and that's coming off of a sub-2,000 crowd.

Surely allowing fans in with Old Firm colours is a recipe for trouble? Especially when you have to question the mental capacity of someone who comes to a Morton game wearing a Rangers or Celtic shirt?

It's also worth remembering that Motherwell are based right in the middle of Old Firm country, with plenty of buses leaving for Glasgow every weekend (some even leaving from a pub right outside Fir Park!)

Surely allowing fans in with Old Firm colours is a recipe for trouble? Especially when you have to question the mental capacity of someone who comes to a Morton game wearing a Rangers or Celtic shirt?

We've had this problem for a while and it's never really been any bother. Even after the Celtic game itself which had a lot of bother outside the ground, it became business as usual right away.

As I say, a lot of these OF tops are on kids. There is a few older ones who should know better, but when you look at the seating at the front of the cowshed they're all over the place. And that's where my main problem is, because you start knocking them back then you're knocking back potential future supporters. Then where do you draw the line for who gets in and who doesn't?

A police officer has been found guilty of breaching the peace after he was heard singing pro-IRA songs and challenged by an off-duty colleague.

But a sheriff ruled that Christopher Halaka had not committed a sectarian offence because he had not wanted to cause "ill-will" to a particular group.

Let the Rangers fans' outrage commence.

There was an arguement a while back on the Morton forums about OF tops being seen in the home end. Now, I don't think Morton are in a position to be knocking back a good number of people because of what they are wearing and so I don't really care what tops are in the home end so long as those people are there to support Morton that day. There was a few Dunfermline supporters in with us ( wearing their colours I might add ) and they got right into the spirit of things, and nobody batted an eyelid so I'm guessing that it's more of an "Old Firm boooooooo" kind of thing.

Not much different than turning up to a local band gig wearing a KISS T-Shirt or wearing a Nexus shirt to a Scotland based prmotion event IMO.

• Paid Members

Not much different than turning up to a local band gig wearing a KISS T-Shirt or wearing a Nexus shirt to a Scotland based prmotion event IMO.

That is completely different. Your example is more like someone wearing a Barcelona top to a junior football game.

Haraga/whoever - Is that the sort of thing that happens at a lot of lower league grounds? I've seen plenty of Old Firm fans thrown out of Pittodrie for wearing colours in the home end so I can't imagine why anyone would run the risk of getting thrown out.

Haraga/whoever - Is that the sort of thing that happens at a lot of lower league grounds? I've seen plenty of Old Firm fans thrown out of Pittodrie for wearing colours in the home end so I can't imagine why anyone would run the risk of getting thrown out.

I can't say I've seen it much in other grounds I have to say.

• Paid Members
It's also worth remembering that Motherwell are based right in the middle of Old Firm country, with plenty of buses leaving for Glasgow every weekend (some even leaving from a pub right outside Fir Park!)

That must piss you right off? It bugs me no end seeing all the Celtic/Rangers supporters buses that leave from all the small towns in the North-East nevermind guys that actually pass your ground to go elsewhere.

Archived