Scottish Football Discussion Thread 2010/11

The Cum Doctor

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I agree there. My point regarding our game on Sunday was that the pitch inspection could have taken place earlier in the morning surely?

I quoted your post but it was really a response to both you and baz.

I think with Sunday's game, the pitch inspection was more a precaution. I don't think the game was in serious doubt at any point. 10am is quite late considering the game kicked off at 1:15 though I agree.

The whole process is flawed though. We've seen games called off too early when it really could have been played, others called off too late - even though it was obvious far earlier that it would be off - because the match referee had to get there to carry out the inspection himself, and one called off after a local ref said it was fine and the match ref disagreeing right before kickoff.

What we need is to play in the summer!

No, I agree there. My point regarding our game on Sunday was that the pitch inspection could have taken place earlier in the morning surely?

I quoted your post but it was really a response to both you and baz.

I think with Sunday's game, the pitch inspection was more a precaution. I don't think the game was in serious doubt at any point. 10am is quite late considering the game kicked off at 1:15 though I agree.

The whole process is flawed though. We've seen games called off too early when it really could have been played, others called off too late - even though it was obvious far earlier that it would be off - because the match referee had to get there to carry out the inspection himself, and one called off after a local ref said it was fine and the match ref disagreeing right before kickoff.

What we need is to play in the summer!

I've always agreed with summer football but we'd be a few weeks into the season just now and it's snowing again so to be honest, we'd just have the same problem no matter when the league is played.

What you'd have is 2 months of potential calloffs instead of 4. Traditionally, January and February are the worst months.

I'm sure someone has explained it before, but I don't see the problem - from an economic standpoint - in summer football. More fans would go if it was warmer. Let's face it, only the diehards will go to some of the matches in the winter when the weather is as cold as it has been.

The other thing from an economic standpoint is surely Sky and ESPN would pay more to have football on TV throughout the entire year? And it would also mean that marketably exciting games happen in October/November, rather than every competition they currently show coming to a head in April/May?

I'm sure someone has explained it before, but I don't see the problem - from an economic standpoint - in summer football. More fans would go if it was warmer. Let's face it, only the diehards will go to some of the matches in the winter when the weather is as cold as it has been.

The problem we will encounter is if Scotland ever qualify for a major tournament again. Both Celtic & Rangers will be losing a decent chunk of their playing staff for the start of the season.

Summer football seems like the solution but in reality they are problems with it.

- In World Cup and European Championship years do we just stop the league for a month while the tournament goes on?

- People traditionally take holidays during the off season because the children are off school. Are they going to be happy missing games on their season ticket.

- Scottish teams will have no chance to progress beyond Christmas in Europe. The season will be finished before the final league games and not start in time for the knockouts.

- Surely the mjority of people have better things to fill up time in the summer than watch football. What on earth will you do in the winter if you don't have football at the weekend?

And here comes the real tricky one.

- How would you start it? Should we finish this season and then wait till March 2012 before starting the next one?

Our climate is no worse than the rest of Northern Europe. If all leagues change, UEFA change and FIFA move the World Cup then fair enough. Otherwise, no thanks.

Just start the league two weeks earlier, get the League Cup out the way before Christmas and I am pretty sure everything would fit nicely.

- Yes, you would stop while the European Championships/World Cup is on. Other leagues do the same.

- I'm not sure we would fail to progress in Europe beyond where we usually would either. Look at Russian teams. In fact, the non Old Firm teams would probably fair better.

- And you can't stop playing football just because some people will go on holiday for a fortnight. So they'll miss a game or two - people do that over the course of the season by taking their kids away in the October and Easter Holidays too.

- To start it you'd probably have to have a smaller season one time.

The only problem I see is that countries like Russia and Ireland are moving back to August-May. I wonder why that is?

Scotland's top law officer has sent a strong reminder to senior police officers that football players, their coaches and club officials should face arrest and prosecution if their behaviour boils over, whether on the park or on the touchline.

Just days before the Old Firm clash in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final, Lord Advocate Elish Angiolini has reissued guidelines to chief constables on how their officers should deal with incidents at sports events.

Her instructions were issued as the task force, set up in the wake of the last ill-tempered match between Celtic and Rangers to find answers to football violence, met at Hampden yesterday for the first time.

In the guidelines Ms Angiolini warns that in deciding which incidents to investigate the police should pay

Anyone remember that guy Kris Boyd?

BOYD ADMITS BORO MISTAKE

Nottingham Forest's on-loan striker Kris Boyd has admitted that his move to Middlesbrough was a mistake.

The Scotland striker left Rangers to cross the border and join the Teesside outfit, who were strongly fancied to challenge for automatic promotion.

But it proved to be a false dawn as Gordon Strachan was sacked in October and new boss Tony Mowbray left out the 27-year-old on a consistent basis.

Boro have also struggled, locked in a battle to beat the drop to League One, whilst Boyd's current employers are in the mix for promotion.

Boyd netted just six times whilst at Boro, despite being the highest scorer in Scottish Premier League history with 164 goals, but he conceded that things went wrong at the Riverside Stadium.

"Last summer I felt it was right for me to go to Boro," he said.

"Looking back, I was obviously wrong. When I got the call to join a side pushing for promotion, I jumped at the chance."

"He also hit back at those who mocked the standard of Scottish football for him to become the SPL's leading scorer and fail to succeed in England's second tier.

"It has been difficult for me in England and I have heard all that about Scottish football, bit I have a point to prove and I intend to do that," he added.

"It's easy to say the standard in Scotland is not good, but the goals are still the same size. They're not bigger in Scotland.

"I'm sure if the majority of people who said that went and played for Rangers or Celtic they'd find it's not as easy as they think it is.

"It's easy for people to five opinions, but a lot harder to go and do it. I didn't just score a few. It was a lot of goals so it wasn't a fluke.

"But there are better players than me who get criticised. It doesn't bother me. I'll get on with it and do my work on the football pitch."

Diddums. You made your bed Boydy.

• Paid Members
Anyone remember that guy Kris Boyd?

"It's easy to say the standard in Scotland is not good, but the goals are still the same size. They're not bigger in Scotland.

"I'm sure if the majority of people who said that went and played for Rangers or Celtic they'd find it's not as easy as they think it is.

"It's easy for people to five opinions, but a lot harder to go and do it. I didn't just score a few. It was a lot of goals so it wasn't a fluke.

Diddums. You made your bed Boydy.

Absolutely. He's covering his back too for the inevitable tail-between-his-legs return to Scottish football.

"Found out" accurately describes Boyd who is nothing more than slightly above average.

Looks like Walter was right all along when he wouldn't play him in big European games.

Absolutely. He's covering his back too for the inevitable tail-between-his-legs return to Scottish football.

"Found out" accurately describes Boyd who is nothing more than slightly above average.

Looks like Walter was right all along when he wouldn't play him in big European games.

Agreed and I never doubted Walter for one minute when Boyd was dropped for the bigger games. If Boyd is in a team that's purpose is to score as many goals as possible then i think he'd do well. He'd probably do alright for Blackpool actually. But if he has to work in someway, like tracking back, holding up the ball or whatever he's about as much use as having a plank up top.

Boyd is on like

By: Newsroom Staff on 16 Mar, 2011 19:10

CELTIC Football Club confirms that Neil Lennon has not challenged the imposition of an automatic four match suspension arising from the Celtic v Rangers match on March 2.

Neil and the Club have decided, in the wider interests of the Club and Scottish football, not to appeal against the imposition of the ban, or the reasons for it.

In accordance with the SFA

Archived