The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

as for pleasant surprises of the year...

Staind-Album-Cover.jpg

Staind are probably as unfashionable a band you can get...it is not cool to like Staind (although i proudly wear my Break The Cycle tour shirt all the time :) ), they've kinda gone from being relevant though to settling into that US radio rock position, selling massive amount of records but never really being anyone favourite band, and being absolutely hated by the media.

Not sure what prompted this album but Staind have pretty much gone back to the heavier sound of their first couple of records, it still sounds like Staind, miserable yet strangely uplifting yet this album's got some f'n venom in it and i always thought Staind worked pretty well as a heavy band, Aaron Lewis has got a f'n mean metal voice too.

It's the first album ive really paid attention too since 14 Shades of Grey but it's fucking good...the press have all been giving it good reviews too, they all seem of the 'Staind good album shocker' variety.

They'll still be unfashionable and the majority of metal fans might not give them the time of day but i like it!

Considering Staind got popular (in this country anyways, not sure about America) off the back of a roughly shot live video of a ad-libbed song they haven't done too badly for themselves.

As for The Burning Red, ive gone back and listened and it's a fucking terrible album...well some of it is, some of the rap-metal stuff on there is abysmal. And whilst you mentioned that many people blame Luster for the shift in direction, it's well documented that Rob Flynn is a massive hip-hop fan so he's probably got as much to do with it as anyone.

I agree with what your, I didnt mewn to sound like I was pointing the finger at Luster. I think Luster was a victim of consequence more than anything. Him coming into the band, probably along with an unhealthy recomendation from the label, seemingly resulted in a sudden shift musically which left fans feeling the band had sold out by trying to sound like what was selling big at the time as rap-metal was the in-thing with likes of Limp Bizkit on the major labels and Dislocated Styles on Roadrunner Records

• Paid Members

I've had 'Unto The Locust' in the car since the weekend & agree that it's definitely a 'grower'. It didn't grab me at first but it really is a tremendous album. I've only really got into Machine Head in the past few years. I was aware of them previously, I was big into Nu-Metal & 'From This Day' was a killer tune at the time but I never owned any of their stuff. I got into 'The Blackening' late after hearing so much critical praise & immediately fell in love with it, heavily! That album stayed in the car solidly for about 3 months & I'd only listen to it in order, no track skipping. After that I invested in the back catalogue & started making up for lost time. Massively looking forward to the Manchester gig in December.

Anyone heading up/down for this?

http://www.damnationfestival.co.uk/category/news

Big ol line up this year.

I played sevens with the Damnation crew, until very, very recently! Top blokes and probably the best festival going on in the UK at the moment. It's especially great if you're Scottish because the people who run it are Scottish and all their pals turn up pissed and cause absolute havoc. Leeds really does turn into a Scottish colony first weekend in November. Godflesh, Ulver and Doom will be absolute class though. Can't wait to see them.

Glad to see the word getting about. It shocks me that there's still people who haven't heard about it though. They deserve a good turnout, certainly.

Anyone heading up/down for this?

http://www.damnationfestival.co.uk/category/news

Big ol line up this year.

I played sevens with the Damnation crew, until very, very recently! Top blokes and probably the best festival going on in the UK at the moment. It's especially great if you're Scottish because the people who run it are Scottish and all their pals turn up pissed and cause absolute havoc. Leeds really does turn into a Scottish colony first weekend in November. Godflesh, Ulver and Doom will be absolute class though. Can't wait to see them.

Glad to see the word getting about. It shocks me that there's still people who haven't heard about it though. They deserve a good turnout, certainly.

Do you post on their forums?

New Mastodon album is great but seems to be getting overshadowed by the new Machine Head.

Can anybody name a band as consistently great as Mastodon?

Fear factory, as long as you pretend they never made digimortal.

Agreed, ignore Digimortal and you've one of greats in Fear Factory. Other consistant performers are Gojira, Opeth, Coheed & Cambria.

Its an interesting few weeks for metal, with new albums from Machine Head, Opeth, Mastodon, Alice Cooper and Dream Theater all being released in quick succession, with new ones from Megadeth and Manowar also on the way

Opeth are another good call, consistently excellent. Slayer's a bit of a cliche but I don't think they've ever made a bad album, and as long as they hate dave behind the drum kit they've never been short of immense.

Pantera were pretty shit hot right through their career, Down are always good, napalm death have been putting out quality for decades. Ach there's loads o splendid stuff, metal's splendid.

Fear of the dark? No prayer for the dying? Those were cack albums? That's a bit strong, maybe not on the level of seventh son but they still had some cracking tunes on em.

And matter of life and death I'd say is one of their best ever (though that's post blaze, obviously)