The Metal/Punk/Rock Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

yeh, that's one of the bands i plan on seeing. Want to see Xibalba, Hatebreed and Turnstile as well (going to see Turnstile friday too, great live band). Outside of that that i'm planning on just wandering between stages to see what catches my ear.

Bullet for My Valentine are the obvious choice to headline Download. New album is out now, they've co-headlined a few times so i think they make the jump next year. Their success still kind of baffles me, but i think they get the slot. BMTH may get a headline slot too, i can't see them doing both in one year though. I just youtubed the BMTH performance from Reading, I see what you're saying. The musical element doesn't bother me so much, Oli Sykes does appear to flat out mime some of the singing stuff though...does anyone else think they just sound like a heavier Linkin Park now though?

Royal Blood might get the Reading slot in a couple of years, they need to put out another record yet though. There's no way Reading/Leeds put another band on top off the strength of one album after The Darkness debacle a few years back.

Had backstage that year at Reading. First and last time I've ever done mushrooms. Thought The Darkness were obviously, hilarious. Then met the drummer, and he was a lovely chap.

• Paid Members

Royal Blood had the 2nd biggest crowd of the day (behind Metallica) at Leeds. BMTH using backing tracks is obviously to help them move into those top slots. They were notoriously rubbish live so you've got 2 solutions. Learn to sing better or just fake it. Loads of people don't seem to care so fuck it. Bit of a depressing thought that the 'future of British rock' haven't even got the chops to play live though.

yep, watching that Reading performance, not a single fuck was given, the crowd were loving it.

Bullet for My Valentine are the obvious choice to headline Download. New album is out now, they've co-headlined a few times so i think they make the jump next year. Their success still kind of baffles me, but i think they get the slot. BMTH may get a headline slot too, i can't see them doing both in one year though. I just youtubed the BMTH performance from Reading, I see what you're saying. The musical element doesn't bother me so much, Oli Sykes does appear to flat out mime some of the singing stuff though...does anyone else think they just sound like a heavier Linkin Park now though?

Royal Blood might get the Reading slot in a couple of years, they need to put out another record yet though. There's no way Reading/Leeds put another band on top off the strength of one album after The Darkness debacle a few years back.

Had backstage that year at Reading. First and last time I've ever done mushrooms. Thought The Darkness were obviously, hilarious. Then met the drummer, and he was a lovely chap.

Other than doing mushrooms any other notable backstage story's? 

It was a bit of a weird one, because although you were backstage, you weren't proper side of stage backstage. Sister's friend worked for Mean Fiddler, that's how we got tickets.

Met with the original drummer from Lostprophets (think the only one of them that drank), hugged Matt Davies from FFAF as I was proper into them at the time, ruined Tim from Ash's promo a few times.

Bought Pancho from Dirty Sanchez a pint. Despite telling everyone who I knew that I would nut Pete Doherty if I saw him, completely bottled it when he was stood right in front of me. This was at the height of his notoriety. (He is surprisingly tall).

Sarah Cawood tried to film a link in my tent, well sitting in the porch, and we were such twats, that she moved to someone elses and called us "dicks". Saw Dave Grohl walking past, and again, bottled saying anything to him.

This is all incredibly D-list, so apologies. I was under the impression that 50 Cent and The Offspring would just be sitting next to me chilling. Obviously not.

To be fair, apart from the quiet camping bit, it's not all that. Anyone wondering, it's the entrance to the right of the Main Stage, where that weird gap in wall is. If you really want to go back there, the security guards are pretty slack if you befriend them.

being the music nerd that i am, i'd love to do that. I'd just stand there all day and take it all in.

Yeah, it was cool. Just recollecting what years it was, and it was 04 and 05, as I'd been for 3 years as a normal punter. Best thing was, you didn't pay full price, instead you made a voluntary "contribution" to the Mean Fiddlers associated charity. Think I paid £50 for my ticket. Worst thing was that the same "no cans or bottles in the arena" rules still applied.

One more memory, which has just been jogged is that I met Mike Skinner from The Streets, and I was wearing my Spurs shirt (oh the shame) and we had just beaten Birmingham City the day before, and he came over and did that ruffling hair/headlock thing to me and then play kicked me up the arse, and his "handlers/posse" looked horrified, as if I would turn around him and punch him out. Loved The Streets :)

Same here. The closest I've got to any of that sort of stuff is my doctor who I'm fairly close to due to the amount of time I've spent in and out of the hospital rents a flat in London where the lead singer of Ash is the landlord. She also looks after his flat etc when he's not about. 

Edited by seanz25

GHOST TOUR!!!

OfYGY.gif

Dec 12: Leeds Beckett University

Dec 14: Nottingham Rock City

Dec 15: Birmingham Institute

Dec 16: Newcastle Academy

Dec 18: Glasgow ABC

Dec 19: Manchester Ritz

Dec 20: Bristol Academy

Dec 21: London Koko

Tickets on sale Friday, support comes from Dead Soul.

I'm going to hit up the Leeds show with my mate and then do Manchester too as the wife is away in London that night

Edited by WyattSheepMask