MMA: Past Fight Discussion

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Couture vs Maurice Smith defines stinker. Don't bother with it. 21 mins of Randy taking Smith down and doing fuck all. The fight is notable only for Randy's hideous black leggings.

Other stinkers from that lot: Sylvia vs Monson, Sylvia vs Arlovski 3. Nowt to see here. Never saw Randleman vs Williams or Couture. Couture vs Rizzo 2 was a dull one-sided affair as well.

Rutten vs Randleman, while not a great fight, might be worth a watch because it's one of the first really controversial decisions in MMA history and actually led to the 5x5 min rounds being adopted.

You MUST see Couture vs Rizzo 1 if you haven't yet, likewise Sylvia vs Arlovski 2 (which played out similarly to Kongo vs Barry).

Couture's fights with Barnett and Rodriguez are very good, underrated fights well worth watching. And Coleman vs Smith is very good as well, probably the first massive UFC upset.

The rest are mostly quick KOs or subs and worth the few minutes (or in the case of Arlovski vs Buentello, seconds) they will take to watch.

• Paid Members

Yeah, Randy's tactics were spot on in the rematch. It just made for a boring fight. Rizzo abandoned the leg kicks which worked so well the first time and, as was often the case with Rizzo, he just didn't seem to show up with his A-game. He had all the physical tools needed in that era but was a bit of a mental flake, not unlike Gonzaga later on.

So yeah, great tactics by Randy, but it's not a fight I'd recommend. Especially after watching their epic first fight. The rematch is such a letdown in comparison.

Oh, on the TUF question...the consensus is you can't go wrong with seasons 1, 3, 5, 8 and 10. All excellent. I personally loved TUF 4: The Comeback but seems like I'm in the minority. TUF 6 is good as well.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Just read Ebb's post on the previous page. Have to agree, I absolutely love Huerta vs Guida. One of my favourite fights ever, it has everything.

To add to the Huerta discussion, there was a lot of talk that he got a bad case of big headed twat syndrome after this fight. Between the Sports Illustrated cover boy gig, landing the Tekken film role and the Guida win, it seemed to really all go to his head. Remember, Guida was really his first big win over a real, legit test and immediately he was meant to be, as I recall, making demands for a deal like BJ Penn's (who was the champ and the only lightweight who was drawing).

He then got dominated by Florian and the UFC rightly told him 'bollocks to that deal you wanted'. So he got the hump and started on about leaving MMA for Hollywood. Zuffa then left him on the shelf for a year and fed him to Gray Maynard on his way out the door. Now he's getting soccer kicked into oblivion in OneFC and all sorts.

It's a shame because he had real star potential.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I'm gonna do some posts looking back on 2012 in here over the next few days. Thought they'd be best off in here rather than clutter up the MMA News thread.

I'll break it down to categories of 'Top 10 _____ Of The Year' and stuff for easiness and I'll include pics, gifs and links where necessary.

So the first post will be 'Top 10 Fights Of 2012'. I might actually make this one top 15. From there I'll do Top KOs, Top Submissions, Top Events, Worst Fights, Most Brutal Beatdowns, a Best Comebacks/Upsets type one and if I can be arsed a Top Breakthrough Performances one.

Hopefully it will lead to some good discussion/debate.

I'll start another career review sometime fairly soon after these hopefully. It's gonna be Hendo or Big Nog I think.

Edited by wandshogun09

I'm gonna do some posts looking back on 2012 in here over the next few days. Thought they'd be best off in here rather than clutter up the MMA News thread.

I'll break it down to categories of 'Top 10 _____ Of The Year' and stuff for easiness and I'll include pics, gifs and links where necessary.

So the first post will be 'Top 10 Fights Of 2012'. I might actually make this one top 15. From there I'll do Top KOs, Top Submissions, Top Events, Worst Fights, Most Brutal Beatdowns, a Best Comebacks/Upsets type one and if I can be arsed a Top Breakthrough Performances one.

Hopefully it will lead to some good discussion/debate.

I'll start another career review sometime fairly soon after these hopefully. It's gonna be Hendo or Big Nog I think.

Look forward to reading that. Since 2011 I've had a document collecting my top ten fights that year so my 2012 list was ready to go and here it is:

1. Chan Sung-Jung vs. Dustin Poirier, UFC on Fuel 3: The Korean Zombie vs. Poirier

2. Frankie Edgar vs. Benson Henderson, UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson

3. Miesha Tate vs. Ronda Rousey, Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey

4. Miesha Tate vs. Julie Kedzie, Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman

5. Joe Lauzon vs. Jamie Varner, UFC on Fox 4: Shogun vs. Vera

6. Jim Miller vs. Joe Lauzon, UFC 155: dos Sanots vs. Velasquez II

7. Georges St-Pierre vs. Carlos Condit, UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit

8. Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II

9. Gilbert Melendez vs. Josh Thomson, Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier

10. Jake Ellenberger vs. Diego Sanchez, UFC on Fuel 1: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger

I think it's turned out well. Happy to answer questions about my picks.

Edited by The Natural

Oh, on the TUF question...the consensus is you can't go wrong with seasons 1, 3, 5, 8 and 10. All excellent. I personally loved TUF 4: The Comeback but seems like I'm in the minority. TUF 6 is good as well.

This man knows

But at the time I did give Tuf 9 a good review, it was like the Smashes series under the radar, but decent television.

Steer clear of 7, and maybe 2, and you should be okay.

Look forward to reading that. Since 2011 I've had a document collecting my top ten fights that year so my 2012 list was ready to go and here it is:

1. Chan Sung-Jung vs. Dustin Poirier, UFC on Fuel 3: The Korean Zombie vs. Poirier

2. Frankie Edgar vs. Benson Henderson, UFC 144: Edgar vs. Henderson

3. Miesha Tate vs. Ronda Rousey, Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey

4. Miesha Tate vs. Julie Kedzie, Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman

5. Joe Lauzon vs. Jamie Varner, UFC on Fox 4: Shogun vs. Vera

6. Jim Miller vs. Joe Lauzon, UFC 155: dos Sanots vs. Velasquez II

7. Georges St-Pierre vs. Carlos Condit, UFC 154: St-Pierre vs. Condit

8. Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen, UFC 148: Silva vs. Sonnen II

9. Gilbert Melendez vs. Josh Thomson, Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier

10. Jake Ellenberger vs. Diego Sanchez, UFC on Fuel 1: Sanchez vs. Ellenberger

I think it's turned out well. Happy to answer questions about my picks.

The order is pretty valid in my opinion, but can I ask why Bendo vs Edgar is so high, I felt it was reasonable but not that dramatic or heated. That could be because I do not care about either one despite their high level of skill.

You have the same number one as me, but I would be tempted to put Lauzon vs Miller as number 1 now, most I have enjoyed MMA last year was when Machida knocked out Bader, Rousey vs Tate would make my top 3 though.

There is no standout winner like 2011 though.

• Paid Members
But at the time I did give Tuf 9 a good review, it was like the Smashes series under the radar, but decent television.

Steer clear of 7, and maybe 2, and you should be okay.

Oh yeah, 9 was very good. It gets a bad rap from some American fans because Team UK spanked the Yanks but it was an entertaining show all the way, good fights and the big payoff with the coaches fight at UFC 100 was a nice bookend on a very fun season.

7 wasn't great, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Rampage and Forrest were charismatic and both were at or near their peak at the time in terms of their form in the cage and their popularity. You had some twats in the house like Jeremy May who provided some drama, likeable buffoon JT Money, the underdog story with Amir, the badass of the house Matt Brown, Riddle was in there (he's not exactly vanilla). The fights were mostly really good as well. But I dunno, it's not looked back on fondly. I might actually give it another watch soon and see how it looks now. I haven't seen it since the original airing.

2 isn't great either. The fact the coaches were team mates in different divisions and wouldn't fight didn't help, plus you had some right boring oafs like Dan Christison, Mike Whitehead and that muscled up fucker who Rashad danced around. The finale was a surprisingly cracking show top to bottom though.

The order is pretty valid in my opinion, but can I ask why Bendo vs Edgar is so high, I felt it was reasonable but not that dramatic or heated. That could be because I do not care about either one despite their high level of skill.

You have the same number one as me, but I would be tempted to put Lauzon vs Miller as number 1 now, most I have enjoyed MMA last year was when Machida knocked out Bader, Rousey vs Tate would make my top 3 though.

Yeah I'll be honest, as much as I liked the fight, Edgar vs Bendo 1 doesn't make my top 10. Neither does Sanchez vs Ellenberger. Both great fights but narrowly missed my top 10.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

OK, I know we didn't cast votes or anything and this is all my personal opinion, but it's just a bit of fun so whatever. Just thought a look back over 2012 in MMA was worth doing and might generate some debate, or at least be a good way to remember that despite a lot of shit happening, it wasn't all bad last year. In fact, there was a lot of good.

Top 15 Fights Of The Year - Part 1

15. Patricky 'Pitbull' Freire vs Lloyd Woodard - Bellator 62

549649_10150712969964879_58200959878_9328054_1913082613_n_large_large.jpg

This one took place back in March in Bellator's Season 6 Lightweight tournament quarters. These two are known for their aggression and they certainly weren't fucking about here. There's no cautious feeling out process at all here, they go hell for leather as soon as the fight starts and don't let up.

okptog.gif

After a close back and forth battle of a first round with both having their moments, they come out for the 2nd and Pitbull looks the fresher of the two. They went to war on the feet for a bit and somewhere in there Pitbull got dazed by something and it all went a bit Mir/Nog 2...

544878668.gif

And it resulted in Pitbull suffering a fractured arm;

pitbull_hospital_large_medium.jpg

Basically, if you don't follow Bellator and you are going to watch anything from that promotion from 2012, I'd urge you to make it this fight.

Pitbull vs Cupcake...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM7SLHvgTd4

14. Diego Sanchez vs Jake Ellenberger - UFC on FUEL TV 1: 'Sanchez vs Ellenberger'

10_DiegoSanchez_JakeEllenberger01d_large_medium.jpg

We go back to February for this one, held in Jake Ellenberger's hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. You really can't go wrong with Diego Sanchez. He's too loony to have a boring fight. True to form Sanchez relies on his toughness once again here, taking a battering from the 'Juggernaut' for the first two rounds, including being put on his arse in the first...

diego-sanchez-jake-ellenberger.gif

As always with Sanchez though, he won't go away and what we now know about Ellenberger's slightly dodgy stamina became apparent as the fight wore on, Diego's pace had Ellenberger fading and Diego was able to mount a late comeback;

mma_if_ellenberger_sanchez_600_display_image.jpg

He had Ellenberger in deep shit in the 3rd and amazingly, looked the fresher of the two by that point. But being 2 rounds down on the scorecards, he needed a finish and despite taking Ellenberger's back, it never happened for him.

JakeEllenbergerDiegoSanchez.jpg

Very enjoyable fight, although it didn't quite hold up as good as expected for me. The first real standout fight of 2012 as I recall. If this had been a 5 round fight, I think Diego would have wound up winning. The momentum was on his side and Ellenberger was sucking wind bad. It was actually this fight which triggered Dana White to make all future UFC main events 5 rounds rather than 3.

Edited by wandshogun09

I had expectactions for Edgar/Henderson 1 with their past fights and I like both. The fight delivered for me on the potential and as a fan of both fighters. I scored it for Henderson by either three or four rounds. Out of the ten, I could do with watching Edgar/Henderson 1 to get a fresh opinion of it but never got round to it. I'll say again that 2012 had a hard act to follow 2011 and it didn't do it. 2011 was awesome. I'd be tempted to take 2010 over 2012 as well.

Yes, Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 2 at UFC 125: Resolution!

Yeah I'll be honest, as much as I liked the fight, Edgar vs Bendo 1 doesn't make my top 10. Neither does Sanchez vs Ellenberger. Both great fights but narrowly missed my top 10.

That's one fight I'm tempted to drop for either Mike Easton vs. Jared Papazian, UFC on FX 1: Guillard vs. Miller or Alan Belcher vs. Rousimar Palhares, UFC on Fox 3: Diaz vs. Miller.

Going to look at your list now.

Edited by The Natural

• Paid Members

great post wand.

every year i forget fights as i go along, i may keep a little record for myself this year so i can do a best of. list at the end...cause if i did it now id most definitly miss stuff out.

...im glad you added the Igor/Maldonado fight though. Igor Prokrajac for me is one the most unheralded fighters in the UFC, certain guys seem to achieve that level of 'fan favorite' where, whilst they'll never be World Champs they always get a lot of love from the fans, Leonard Garcia is an example, Joey Beltran another...Fabio Maldonado is a guy you can definitly add to the list after this year, and i think Igor deserves to be plonked right in there with them, for some reason he hasn't gained the fan admiration as others but he deserves it, that guy comes to fight every single time he's in there.

Igor-Pokrajac_1098_right30.png

give the man some love.

Edited by Ebb

Yes, Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 2 at UFC 125: Resolution!

I thought the rematch in Texas was better :p

Great post Wand, I think Fabio/Igor should have beaten Cormier and Barnett though. I found Cormier vs Barnett too one sided to enjoy, and it was not as dramatic as Igor/Fabio.

Still its your list man.

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
Great post Wand, I think Fabio/Igor should have beaten Cormier and Barnett though. I found Cormier vs Barnett too one sided to enjoy, and it was not as dramatic as Igor/Fabio.

Still its your list man.

Ha, you know what you're right. I rewatched the fight last night and I did enjoy it more than both Bendo/Edgar 1 and Cormier/Barnett. So I've edited it and Pokrajac vs Maldonado is at #11 now. I did love Barnett vs Cormier though, despite it's one sidedness.

The top 10 is what I was concentrating on so my rankings from 15-11 were a bit rushed. Anyway...

Top 15 Fights Of The Year - Part 2

8. Shogun Rua vs Brandon Vera - UFC on FOX 4: 'Shogun vs Vera'

MMA-blog-post-111.jpg

August's UFC event on FOX was one of the best MMA cards of 2012. As is evident by it producing two fights most fans would rank in their top 10 fights from this year. The main event was one of them. A fight most MMA media and fans were calling a mismatch and an easy fight for Shogun, turned out to be a 4 round war.

104_Mauricio_Rua_vs_Brandon_Vera_large_medium.jpg

Coming off a 5 round dogfight against Hendo in his previous fight, the last thing Shogun needed here was another one. But Vera defied all the doubters and for once, actually fought to his potential. This wasn't the gunshy Brandon Vera fans had become used to seeing.

main_thumb_120805_sho9.jpg

Both got hurt, both got rocked, both gassed. It was a hard fought battle all the way.

Shogun-vs.-Vera1.jpg

The difference seemed to be Shogun's power, and in the 4th round Vera got tagged one time too many and his legs gave way, finally...

i8hyXTFI08hDB.gif

That was all she wrote.

rua.jpg

But in losing a fight like that, Vera won more fans than in probably all his UFC wins combined. Not the most technical fight you'll have seen in 2012 but fuck me it was fun to watch.

bc53d507c26770e8f294fcbf92ef0864_Generic.jpg

7. Gilbert Melendez vs Josh Thomson 3 - Strikeforce: 'Barnett vs Cormier'

038_Josh_Thomson_and_Gilbert_Melendez-300x200.jpg

Like the UFC's FOX 4 event produced two FOTY worthy candidates, Strikeforce didn't do too badly with their May event which featured the aforementioned Barnett vs Cormier fight and this beauty on the same night.

I'm a sucker for a great trilogy and this one was one of MMA's best. One Strikeforce's highlights as a promotion was the rivalry between Melendez and Thomson and the 3 great fights they put on. Thomson bested Gil in their first fight back in '08, but Melendez came back to win the 2009 thriller of a rematch. Both fights went to the scorecards.

But a lot had happened since the second fight. Melendez had become pretty much the lightweight king outside of the UFC, while Thomson's career was littered with a long list of injuries and time on the shelf. It was thought that this rubber match would see Melendez comfortably drive the final nail in the coffin of Thomson's MMA career, or at least any hopes of him being in the title picture.

Wrong.

9.gif

Much like the previous fights, Thomson didn't come to lose. The two proved the old fight phrase "styles make fights" is accurate. Their styles always seem to make for a FOTY contender.

MelendezThomson3Fight_display_image.jpg

Thomson brought the fight to Melendez like no-one else had, well, since they last fought. A competitive, razor close battle from bell to bell.

gil_original_original_crop_exact.jpg

The exchanges were back and forth and given that most thought Thomson was damaged goods, this fight far surpassed what people were expecting going in...

1.gif

When the fight was over, once again going to the cards, it was a close call but most felt that Thomson had pulled it off.

20120519_ajw_st3_409_extra_large.jpg

He hadn't according to the judges. It was seen as a bit of a controversial decision but Melendez would hang on to his Lightweight title. Barely.

Shame he made a bit of a boob of himself post-fight though;

melendezGF.gif

6. Georges St Pierre vs Carlos Condit - UFC 154: 'St Pierre vs Condit'

ufc-154-st-pierre-vs-condit-tickets-350x186.jpg

November marked the long-awaited return from the sidelines for the long-time ruler of the Welterweight division, GSP. Condit was a massive underdog but the factor of GSP's layoff coupled with Condit having a habit of winning fights he's not supposed to, made this one that bit more intriguing.

It turned out to be probably the best fight of GSP's career to date. In my opinion anyway. He'd been making noises before the fight to anyone who would listen that he had become less in love with MMA and was now rejuvinated after the layoff. It seemed to be the case right from the start when he came out more aggressive than he had in years.

121117-ufc-154-st-pierre-condit--mcneil-0258.0_standard_352.0.jpg

He was attacking Condit from all angles. On the feet, with takedowns, then dropping damaging strikes on the ground bloodying Condit up pretty bad.

ufc-154-st-pierre-condit-08-size-598.jpg

It was looking like a pretty easy night's work for the champ. But Condit had no quit in him and in the third round it very, very nearly paid off when this happened...

knockouts_Carlos_Condit_Head_Kicks_Georges_St_Pierre_UFC_154.gif

GSP was all over the place for a while after but he pulled through and the moment had gone for Condit. GSP then continued what he'd started by smashing his challenger to a bloody pulp for the remainder of the fight.

ufc154.png

Condit never stopped trying and was always threatening with submissions from the bottom and strikes on the feet but GSP made sure lightning didn't strike twice in one fight and managed to win a lopsided but very entertaining decision.

138_georges_st-pierre_vs_carlos_condit.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Like Vera in the loss to Shogun, Condit probably gained more fans in a losing effort here. It was clear he'd given 100% every second of the fight and had pushed GSP harder than anyone has in years.

cc2_medium.gif

But a triumphant return for one of the sport's biggest stars...

141_georges_st-pierre.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Nothing a couple of Nurofen and a bag of frozen peas won't cure.

5. Nate Marquardt vs Tyron Woodley - Strikeforce: 'Rockhold vs Kennedy'

003_Tyron_Woodley_and_Nate_Marquardt_large.jpg

Nate Marquardt had caused quite a shitstorm in 2011 when he failed a pre-fight drug test, forcing the UFC to cancel their TV main event which was to feature him making his Welterweight debut. Not only that, they had to cancel the fight and re-shuffle the card on the very eve of the event.

Marquardt was sacked, he was named and shamed, and went on Ariel Helwani's MMA Hour crying his eyes out and insisting there was more to the story and that he wasn't a cheater.

Whatever the case, he was picked up by Strikeforce and with a shallow talent pool to play with, he was granted an immediate shot at the vacant 170lbs title. He'd fight wrestler Tyron Woodley with the winner becoming champ.

Expectations were pretty low for this. No-one expected Nate to look that great on his first cut to 170, and Woodley had been involved in a couple of pretty boring fights.

It wound up being a barnburner no-one saw coming. Woodley made his intentions clear right out the gate and hurt Nate with a punch...

20120715_jla_aa8_027.0_standard_352.0.jpg

He had Nate in a lot of bother a few times but Nate came back strong with his own strikes and managed to fend off T-Wood's attempts to wrestle for the most part...

006_Nate_Marquardt_vs_Tyron_Woodley_large_medium.jpg

After a back and forth struggle Marquardt finally put Woodley away in the 4th with a brutal combo against the fence...

1twoodko.gif

Woodley didn't stand a chance against that. A surprise corker of a fight. It still doesn't get enough praise for me. I rarely see it brought up but without a doubt it was one of last year's best.

marquardt-ko-woodley1-268x200.jpg

And a huge career turnaround for Nate 'the Great'.

4. Joe Lauzon vs Jamie Varner - UFC on FOX 4

035_Joe_Lauzon_and_Jamie_Varner_large_medium.jpg

Talking of career turnarounds, Jamie Varner went from his career being well and truly on it's arse after the WEC doors closed, to coming back to the UFC as a late replacement and upsetting the highly touted Edson Barboza on short notice.

Here he is again on short notice, filling in for the injured Terry Etim against the UFC's bonus machine, Joe Lauzon. From the Shogun vs Vera undercard, this fight wasn't even meant to happen yet turned out to be one of the highlights of 2012.

054_Jamie_Varner_vs_Joe_Lauzon_large_medium.jpg

From the opening bell these two never stopped. Rogan was incessantly banging on about Varner gassing but considering the volume and pace of both men's offense, I'd be alarmed if they weren't gassing...

tumblr_m8tzqmWjlu1rrwwgco1_500.gif

Varner gave Lauzon all he could handle, and at points was giving the 'Creepy' one a bit of a hiding...

068_Jamie_Varner_vs_Joe_Lauzon_gallery_post_large_medium.jpg

But Lauzon wasn't having it and pulled off one of the most ridiculously awesome finishes I've ever seen in MMA...

lauzonvarnertriangle%20(1).gif

Brilliant.

3. Miesha Tate vs Ronda Rousey - Strikeforce: 'Tate vs Rousey'

mieshatate_joshhedges_ufc62.jpg

Alright, let's get it out of the way...

bottom1vm804.gif

PHWOOOOAAARR!!

Ahem, OK. Might seem odd having a fight this short placing 3rd in the list but I don't give a shit. If you've seen it you'll know why it's here. I've called this the grappling equivolent of 2011's Diaz vs Daley 1 round of mayhem, and I stand by it. I had Diaz vs Daley high on my 2011 FOTY and this is no different.

They didn't like each other at all;

23wvbiq.gif

They still don't. The bitchiness started well before the fight. Slagging each other off in interviews, via Twitter, Miesha's boyfriend threw his two penneth in. All kinds.

The fight more than lived up to the hype though. And Ronda made it clear from early in the fight that she wanted to take Tate's arm home with her. She failed at the first attempt...

2.gif

But she wouldn't be denied the second time...

6.gif

Urghhh. Still makes me wince.

Tate vs Rousey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AAwoPCOxZ0

Watch it. It's more than the two armbars, a great little short rollercoaster of a fight.

2. Chan Sung Jung vs Dustin Poirier - UFC on FUEL TV 3: 'Zombie vs Poirier'

z-300x225.png

From May's FUEL show, same night as Pokrajac vs Maldonado. Up until the very last couple of days of 2012, this was nailed on as my FOTY. Zombie Jung was gaining momentum at this point, coming off two hugely impressive back to back wins since his arrival in the UFC...

The first ever submission via Twister in UFC history;

2wpkoll.gif

He followed that with a 7 second KO over Mark Hominick;

korean-zombie-hominick.gif

But Dustin Poirier was thought to be a potential challenger for Jose Aldo and was also considered too technical a striker for Zombie's crazy antics to work against.

I'll let the gifs do the talking.

6.gif

korean-zombie-chan.gif

8.gif

tumblr_m443glxU7h1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

tumblr_m4441v2wSs1qaa8d1o1_r1_500.gif

Incredible fight.

1. Jim Miller vs Joe Lauzon - UFC 155: 'Dos Santos vs Velasquez 2'

134_miller_and_lauzon.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Again, another Joe Lauzon fight that wasn't meant to happen ends up high up this list. Lauzon was scheduled to fight Gray Maynard here originally, Gray pulled out, Jim Miller stepped in. And we got this amazing bloodbath.

I don't think I need to go into much detail considering this fight happened just days ago. I'll just say for me, it surpassed Zombie vs Poirier. Lauzon took an absolute pasting the entire first round, I wouldn't have blamed his corner if they pulled him out, or the ref if he stopped it, or the doctor for that matter.

Just look at him;

538534_453693811347269_1858098113_n.jpg

tumblr_mfv9xvZbsg1qfrkf9o1_250.gif

Not only did he carry on, he actually made a strong fight back

110_jim_miller_vs_joe_lauzon.0_standard_352.0.jpg

It turned into a wild scrappy fight and in the final round, Lauzon came close to what would have been one of the most unbelievable comebacks in MMA history, ever, if he'd have pulled this off....

1356844190334.gif

Then he got Miller in a choke as the time ran out on the fight;

1356843928259.gif

"Holy shit" as Miller put it there.

1357089255_1720_13.jpg

A fight I won't forget in a hurry that's for sure.

Honourable mentions go to;

*Brian Ebersole vs TJ Waldburger (UFC on FX 4: 'Guida vs Maynard')

*John Maguire vs DaMarques Johnson (UFC on FUEL 2: 'Gustafsson vs Silva')

*Brian Rogers vs Andreas Spang (Bellator 66)

*Alan Belcher vs Rousimar Palhares (UFC on FOX 3: 'Diaz vs Miller')

*Mitch Clarke vs Anton Kuivanen (UFC 149: 'Faber vs Barao')

*Glover Teixeira vs Fabio Maldonado (UFC 153: 'Silva vs Bonnar')

*Diego Nunes vs Bart Palaszewski (UFC on FX 5: 'Browne vs Bigfoot')

*Daron Cruickshank vs Henry Martinez (UFC on FOX 5: 'Henderson vs Diaz')

Edited by wandshogun09