[Nominations] Worst Match of the Decade

tiger_rick

Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit at Royal Rumble 2003

This one really sticks out compared to the rest as it was voted one of the top 2 matches of 2003 everywhere, and has got a few nominations in the greatest match of the decade category this year.

What did you hate about it?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
Kurt Angle vs Chris Benoit at Royal Rumble 2003

This one really sticks out compared to the rest as it was voted one of the top 2 matches of 2003 everywhere, and has got a few nominations in the greatest match of the decade category this year.

What did you hate about it?

I may have been younger at the time, heck I may not be a fan of technical wrestling overall, but fuck me that match was boring as sin. As a kid I used to sit through entire PPVs regardless of whether I was looking forward to the match or not but this one? I regretted staying up for it. I almost fell asleep throughout and that's no exaggeration.

Worst match for me might have to go to AMW vs. LAX in the Electrified Cage match. I dont mind terrible business exposing shite, but if they botch the business exposing shite, it doubles the pain. I hate it when somebody fucks up and attempt at ruining the business.

Wasn't that 3D Vs LAX? or did they do another one that was even fucking worse?

My Vote goes for Brisco Vs Patterson - KOTR2K

• Paid Members
Worst match for me might have to go to AMW vs. LAX in the Electrified Cage match. I dont mind terrible business exposing shite, but if they botch the business exposing shite, it doubles the pain. I hate it when somebody fucks up and attempt at ruining the business.

Wasn't that 3D Vs LAX? or did they do another one that was even fucking worse?

It was Team 3D. I remember I was actually going to write the AMW Blindfold match, but forgot to delete it. Yeah, 3D vs. LAX isnt something I'd forget easily.

Jenna Morasca vs Sharmell @ TNA Victory Road 2009

Tyson Tomko Vs Steven Richards The Mystery Woman @ WWE Unforgiven 2004

Undertaker Vs Mr. Kennedy @ WWE No Mercy 2006

Triple H Vs Vladimir Kozlov @ WWE Survivor Series 2008

Triple H Vs Randy Orton @ WWE Unforgiven 2004

Triple H vs Chris Jericho, Wrestlemania 18

Triple H vs The Undertaker, King of the Ring 02

Triple H vs Scott Steiner, Rumble 03

Triple H vs Booker T, Wrestlemania 19

Triple H vs Nash, Judgment Day 03

Triple H vs Nash, Bad Blood 03

Triple H vs Shawn Michaels, Royal Rumble 04

Triple H vs Shawn Michaels, Bad Blood 04

And no exaggeration, every HHH/Randy Orton match. Every single last bastard one.

I couldn't be arsed to think of others for this, I just decided to list a catalogue of HHH matches that utterly disgusted me in order to help at least some of them make it. Entertainment-wise, he was total pollution to the very industry between 02-05. He can do what the fuck he likes after his 2000 run, mind. That's bought him a buy for the rest of his life with me. I really do mean the Orton comment though, no exagerration. I literally dread having to watch them wrestle like no other pairing I can think of.

• Paid Members
Triple H vs Chris Jericho, Wrestlemania 18

Triple H vs The Undertaker, King of the Ring 02

Triple H vs Scott Steiner, Rumble 03

Triple H vs Booker T, Wrestlemania 19

Triple H vs Nash, Judgment Day 03

Triple H vs Nash, Bad Blood 03

Triple H vs Shawn Michaels, Royal Rumble 04

Triple H vs Shawn Michaels, Bad Blood 04

And no exaggeration, every HHH/Randy Orton match. Every single last bastard one.

I couldn't be arsed to think of others for this, I just decided to list a catalogue of HHH matches that utterly disgusted me in order to help at least some of them make it. Entertainment-wise, he was total pollution to the very industry between 02-05. He can do what the fuck he likes after his 2000 run, mind. That's bought him a buy for the rest of his life with me. I really do mean the Orton comment though, no exagerration. I literally dread having to watch them wrestle like no other pairing I can think of.

His shockingly boring 3 Stages of Hell match was terrible as well. I honestly thought Shawn Michaels comeback was disappointing until his match with Jericho. The Elimination Chamber and Armeggedon matches were so bad, I thought the great SummerSlam bout was a fluke. I didnt bank on the fact that Triple H was just an utterly boring, broken down, steriod filled mess in 2002.

His matches and storylines leading into his feuds with with RVD (Unforgiven 2002) and Kane (No Mercy) sicken me to this day at how anyone could enjoy or think they were successful. He should have been shot with shit after the lack of entertainment and creativity in those feuds.

Most of the Hunter/Orton matches did indeed suck. I remember saying on here at the time of those three back to back matches on Raw in 2006 that they were the worst matches I'd seen from either of them, for two good workers those were terrible. Amazingly Hunter's match with Kozlov last year might have been even worse.

As for the actual worst match I don

• Paid Members

Kris Sprules -vs- Cage Tyler - It had such an impact of UKFF that it has to be mentioned

Goldberg -vs- Brock Lesnar - WWE Wrestlemania XX - it was clear neither could be arsed

Money In The Bank 2009 - it was just one big pile of over contrived botch spots, normally I like the Money In The Banks matches, but 2009's was terrible.

Taking a leaf out of dopper's book, I think these are interesting picks:

On the same grounds, I'm going to throw Triple H vs Cena from WM22 in there. Cena was still utter shit technically at this point (I believe this is the match that, when asked for feedback afterwards, HHH told Cena 'you suck'), and the misjudgement of the live crowd was the worst I've seen since Lesnar/Goldberg. Such a monumental fuck-up for such an important match. Not even the comedy entrances could save it.

I know a lot think Trips buried Cena in the build-up but this choice surprises me. I didn't like that match as much as some (need to give it a rewatch at some point, its been 3 years) but I remember that being a runner up for Match Of The Year on here in 2006. Granted I think the enjoyment it might have been mainly to do with the crowd interaction (I believe this is where the "Yeah"/"Boo" spot started), which sort of set the stage for ONS II vs. Van Dam, but there's plenty who would rated this as Cena's and Hunter's best match from that year. I know a lot of them seemed to rate it based on the role reversal with Hunter as face for the night and Cena as heel which they hoped for the following year with Michaels/Cena (which I did enjoy) that ended up being worked as babyface/babyface instead. One thing I will give credit for is I thought Hunter was quite generous in most of the match in terms of making Cena look to be his equal which wasn't the case in the build-up and even tapped at the end. I do agree with you on one thing - I thought it was quite an important one as well. Even though he won the title the year before this was really the start of Cena's run going into overdrive as far as establishing him as The Man on Raw went. No offense to JBL, Angle and Jericho but beating Hunter in the main event of Mania was by far Cena's biggest moment to that point and really did show WWE was fully behind him (if they had wanted to give up the push and experiment with his character but needed a strong champion this was their out and they declined it). To be honest, I think I liked their stuff from this year more but again I'd have to see this match again since I might be misremembering bits of it. Other than Benoit/Angle from Soilent_Green, I think that will be the only match nominated for both 'Best' and 'Worst' of the Decade. Unless someone has picked this...

Big Show vs. Floyd Mayweather

This one also surprises me, although I admit it very nearly did bomb with the confusing build-up but I thought it turned out to be one of the better Fighter vs. Wrestler matches I've seen, and certainly better than crap like Styels/Trigg. Had they had them go toe-to-toe and Show still lose I would agree but here, as in real life, the only things Mayweather had over Show were his speed and ability to throw punches (which are both realistic since they are true) but if he got caught he would get killed. When they first set that up at No Way Out (great angle BTW) I wasn't sure how they could translate it into a match without Show looking like an idiot. They managed and I think with the way they did it the only way to have made him look stronger would have been to go over (which was never going to happen). See whilst I wouldn't say I was expecting this to 'suck' like some of WCW's celebrity matches (with the way WWE like to manage things I imagined they'd have gone over it again and again), I did think the audience would turn on it if when tried to portray Mayweather as a plucky Rey Mysterio type underdog, especially since I thought he might go over clean which would be a waste of Show's comeback (and also make someone like Rey kind of pointless as well if an even smaller athlete from another sport can come in with no training and beat someone that much bigger). Given the size difference, I can get why people were dreading the prospect of Mayweather somehow managing to outwrestle Show, which would have made them both look crap, but fortunately that didn't really happen. I thought Mayweather was really good a Southern-style chickenshit heel, who was all cocky on the surface but needed to rely on outside interference and cheating because he was totally outmatched by the big bad wrestler. I know a lot of people are fed up with wrestlers always doing the job (I expect it but in kayfabe terms I can understand the frustration especially when they are held under regular wrestling moves - you wouldn't have a pro wrestler with no training walking into boxing and out-boxing Wladimir Klitschko, so in a way I can relate) but it was nice to see the wrestler come out of it looking good since you don't normally have wrestlers booked to look that dominant. That said, I wouldn't vote it Match Of The Year but I can see why people lot really got into it since it really was Pro Wrestling. Mayweather actually reminded me of Raven here with the collection of flunkies and foreign objects, with BS as the World's Largest Goldberg.

Each to their own, and all that, thinking those matches were poor is just as valid I just thought they were interesting picks since they both received so much praise elsewhere.

• Paid Members

Kenzo Suzuki vs. Billy Gunn (Great American Bash 2004)

Triple H vs. Scott Steiner (Royal Rumble 03)

Khali vs. Kane (...take your pick...Wrestlemania, perhaps, since it crapped up an otherwise good show)

Kriss Sprules vs Cage Tyler

Big Show vs Undertaker (Punjabi Prison match)

Torrie Wilson vs Dawn Marie (03, Royal Rumble I think)