[Nominations] Biggest Anti-Climax of 2009

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Randy Orton

Orton v HHH at Mania

The conclusion of the Jeff attack storyline as mentioned by dopper

Jericho's Mania match ends up as a 3-on-1 instead of Jericho v Big Returning Legend

The abyssmal booking of Randy Orton post-Royal Rumble
Rant Orton punting Vince and winning the Rumble results in momentum killing feud with Shane,
Orton not becoming the fucking megastar he looked destined to be. Everything post-Rumble was pretty shit. The Mania match was just a kick in the teeth when I was already jaded.

All of these.

Rant Orton punting Vince and winning the Rumble results in momentum killing feud with Shane,
Orton not becoming the fucking megastar he looked destined to be. Everything post-Rumble was pretty shit. The Mania match was just a kick in the teeth when I was already jaded.

All of these.

Yep. For me, you could add Wrestlemania 25 as a whole. Considering how fucking tremendous the last 'milestone' Mania was and some of the early anticipation around it, this year's card was such a let-down - Jericho getting chinned by an old actor when everybody wanted to see Austin do it, another shitty, predictable Cena victory, and Triple H killing Randy Orton and the live crowd stone dead. I think I would've preferred it if they'd just had the Michaels/Taker match and then a blank screen for the rest of the night.

Also add Christian's return (the booking, not his performance) and CM Punk's push to the list.

• Paid Members

All of these.

Same again for me.

Christian's return.

WM25 main event, Triple H vs. Orton

WM25 as a whole (even Michaels/Taker wasn't enough to save it)

The MEM storyline

Bound For Glory 2009

1. Jack Swagger's push - A year ago this time he was on the C Show cutting promos at the expense of Beulah McGillicutty and talking about being a future ECW Champ... A year later he's on the main show and yet doesn't feel any further on. He went from starting the year so well - winning the ECW Title from Matt Hardy in his best match to that point, some good matches with Finlay, a MOTYC with Christian, that interaction with Cena during the 3 Hour Draft Raw ... And then became 'just another wrestler' toiling away in the Raw mid-card. They should have left him on ECW until they had something for him to do.

2. Evan Bourne's push - Another one they should have left him on ECW until they had something for him to do. Even as someone who's less than enamoured with a lot of the contemporary X-Division style stuff, I thought Bourne was doing really well last year at standing out in WWE and he had two of the best babyface/babyface matches of 2008 with Matt Hardy and Rey Mysterio. Sure, some might complain he lost them, but it didn't matter - he was made to look competitive in the process, his regular appearances on Raw and semi-regular team with Mysterio were getting a reaction and it looked like he was set to become a solid mid-card babyface in 2009. Instead once he officially moved to Raw (funny he was more over on the show when he wasn't 'meant' to be on it) he became just another face in the crowd.

3. Vladimir Kozlov's undefeated streak - Remember how in these Awards last year people were nominating Kozlov/Festus as MOTY? Regardless of anyone's opinion of the guys work, they had invested a lot in his push, putting him over guys like Undertaker, and building up his 'streak'. Not only did his streak not come to an end at WrestleMania (where it could have helped elevate someone) he didn't even appear on the card. What a waste of time that was.

After weeks of build and rumours Jerichos big match for Wrestlemania is revealed as a 3 on 1 handicap match.
That has to be the main one for me - what a letdown.