DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently #2

The Cum Doctor

• Paid Members
The worst one is The World Is Not Enough.

Someone has forgotten about Die Another Day.

Edit - must read previous posts. Where do we stand on Never Say Never Again?

Edited by Brownie

• Paid Members

^ I didn't watch that one, it doesn't count.

IMDB has "Die Another Day" as it's worst Bond movie. I'd say "Octopussy" was absolutely rank rotten.

It had Sir Roger, therefore it is better by default.

This is the key to ranking all Bond films.

Quantum of Solace is nowhere near as bad as Die Another Day or The World Is Not Enough. Those are absolute skid marks.

ITV have been broadcasting the early Connery Bond movies in HD over the last few months. They look and sound amazing.

This is slightly off-topic, but the difference between the quality of standard tv and HDTV is much more noticeable than between DVD and Blu-Ray, isn't it? I don't know if HDTV is better than Blu-Ray, I assume not but where I've never been impressed that much by watching Blu Rays, or streaming an HD film over the Xbox, watching HD broadcasts is awesome.

Edited by Loki

I tend to find DVDs look fine, and the 360 is doing the upscaling I believe. I've only watched Blu Ray at other people's houses, so I can't make direct comparisons, but it's always look alright, rather than game changing.

Here's a question. My Freeview box says is can output 1080p. Should I set it to that or set it to 1080i? Will one pass through the picture untouched and one fuck around with it? And which is better really, 720p or 1080i?

What are HD broadcasts at, though, 1080i? If so, I guess it makes sense to output that to the tv. I think 720p is better for games and fast sports, but unless the machine itself changes the output (i.e an Xbox 360 actually can output either 720p or 1080i) then if you change the setting on the Freeview box all you're doing is adding a conversion into the signal path.

Does that sound right?

Here's a question. My Freeview box says is can output 1080p. Should I set it to that or set it to 1080i? Will one pass through the picture untouched and one fuck around with it? And which is better really, 720p or 1080i?

I don't think it really matters, Freeview HD software now detects whether the programme is being broadcast in 1080i and 1080p and switches between them automatically.

• Paid Members

I know it's a long shot but has anyone seen Another Earth round here? This film is bloody great. Don't read anything about it beforehand and just be amazed by it.

I know it's a long shot but has anyone seen Another Earth round here? This film is bloody great. Don't read anything about it beforehand and just be amazed by it.

yup, think I mentioned it ages back in this very thread, I was really torn up by it! Amazing stuff.

• Paid Members

yup, think I mentioned it ages back in this very thread, I was really torn up by it! Amazing stuff.

I think lots of people would hate it. But it's well worth the risk. I loved it, not as much as Take Shelter, though.

• Paid Members

It's one of those films that make you realise what a sham the Oscars are. It was nominated for nothing. Completely absurd.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Paid Members
Im really going to have to watch Take Shelter, is it similar to Another Earth? I dont know much about it, other than it has Michael Shannon and its been loved on here!

Not really. It's similar in terms of pace and atmosphere and with a very debatable (but I think brilliant) ending. I think it's better than Another Earth, though. Here it is in full:-

http://stagevu.com/video/kxlditbnnbgs

Im really going to have to watch Take Shelter, is it similar to Another Earth? I dont know much about it, other than it has Michael Shannon and its been loved on here!

Not really. It's similar in terms of pace and atmosphere and with a very debatable (but I think brilliant) ending. I think it's better than Another Earth, though. Here it is in full:-

http://stagevu.com/video/kxlditbnnbgs

Cheers, Gladstone. Looking forward to watching it now :thumbsup:

• Paid Members
------

re Quantum of Solace: why is the hotel made of cardboard that's been soaked in petrol?

There's a throwaway line about how the hotel is powered in the first scene inside, where Greene and the General are negotiating.