General politics discussion thread

David

There are many things that contributed to the collapse of the economy, the banks shoulder some, profligate spending and borrowing by an idiotic government has most of the pie, and it's container as well.

I don't want to be overly concise, but that's utter fucking bollocks.

That's about as concise as it needs to be.

• Paid Members
The Labour conference is beginning to go overboard with the 'New Generation' tag for the party. I'm just trying to figure out which MPs are HBK, Bret, Taker, Diesel and Razor Ramon. And instead of trying to move on from a steroid scandal, it's expenses and generally being lying cunts.

David Milliband is Bret, and Ed is Owen - that's why he kicked his leg from out under his..leg.

What's interesting about it.

Bloke about to go to trial

Buys suit from companies/people he hates, begrudges paying the money, and does it anyway. he then kicks off about poor quality of what he has brought as if thats some how related.

If its that poor quality why not go somewhere else. there are plenty of other none P. Green shops that sell suits.. or would that be too obvious?

• Paid Members

Buys suit from companies/people he hates, begrudges paying the money, and does it anyway. he then kicks off about poor quality of what he has brought as if thats some how related.

If its that poor quality why not go somewhere else. there are plenty of other none P. Green shops that sell suits.. or would that be too obvious?

WHAT? Seriously: fucking WHAT?!

When? How? Where? Why? etc?

What do you mean, what? :/

• Paid Members

When? How? Where? Why? etc?

What do you mean, what? :/

The entire blog post is supposed to highlight a billionaire tax-dodger's law-bending, framed by a side-story of the writer buying a suit, and you decide to comment about the side story?

Please tell me you're joking.

The entire blog post is supposed to highlight a billionaire tax-dodger's law-bending, framed by a side-story of the writer buying a suit, and you decide to comment about the side story?

Please tell me you're joking.

Oh yeah [ditsy mode on] I like, totally, forgot that was like, there? [/ditsy mode on]

Or, I could have chosent to ignore the tax dodging lawbending etc rant on Philip Green, mainly because it bored me to tears and was quite frankly bollocks

Closed final salary pension ( in line with lots of other companies because of the massive pensions shortfall ( see Royal Mail for massive problems with that regards So its hardly something that is out of the ordinary) and upped workers contributions ( only a problem if they have a pension with arcadia, doesnt cause problems for those who have pensions elsewhere or indeed have a pension)

He didnt pay 400 million pounds tax because what appears to be a tax loophole... Instead of attacking the man, attack the system and get the loophole closed? Too simple? Nope, attack the man as his actions are 'obscene' even though there is no mention of law breaking, just 'its not on'

Its that social injustice again isnt it?

Then rants on they , them and how unfair it is and oh yeah, 'New Labour sucked too' for legitimising this mess, So lets tax the rich to oblivion because they are too rich.

His ilk need to be taxed until they only have one stately home and one rolls royce and one holiday home left.

Their personal wealth accumulation is sick and obscene.

(Why is it sick and obscene, Tommy? Please do tell)

and then this gem

If it was tackled not a single public service needs to be cut.

And how do you propose to 'rape the rich', without causing them all to fuck off out of the country because they have been raped of their cash, oh master?

What are the figures for this? How do you propose to get the cash? Why dont the services need to be cut. What do you do if there is another shortfall and recession etc. Can only raid the piggy bank so many times

Any suggestions Tommy? C'mon their must be something? Even a little? No?

YAWN!

So I chose the other thing to comment on

I doubt it will happen but Tommy could potentially be sued over that piece.

That makes him and his millionaire chums who do that sort of thing every year ‘scroungers’.

They benefit from all the services funded by the public purse but avoid paying their legal and moral liabilities through tax scams and outright evasion.

Green has performed somce tax avoidance certainly - but this is perfectly legal. However, Tommy has accused Green of tax evasion there - which is not.

As has been said above rather than attack the man exploiting the loophole why not attack the system that allows it? Although this is clearly on a much larger scale, who could honestly say that they'd pay tax when it wasn't legally required of them?

As for closing the pension scheme to new entrants this is unfortunate but as has been said is quite consistent with a lot of big companies. The fact that the scheme is still open to future accrual at all, admitedly with a bigger contribution due, is really an excellent perk for the current members.

Edited by gary v1

I liked the way you put "raped the rich" in quotations as if it was a phrase that you hadn't just inserted yourself. Sick and obscene indeed. Wont comment on the rest of your rambling lunacy.

Okay, so I dont have the greatest grammar on the board; this is well documented over several threads and confirmation of the hung/hanged debate. However, even 'I' know that single quotation marks can be used for taking the piss, irony or marking it as other, and not the use specified by yourself. I think the term is scare quotes if you want to check them out. Thanks for going to great lengths to point that out though, it's 'really' insightful.

'Wont comment/Cant comment' on the lunacy?

Will you comment as to why it is lunacy then?

Cheers

The banks weren't responsible for the wellbeing of the country. They were private institutions. That the government had to bail them out is ENTIRELY the fault of the government for placing the country in the situation where banks failing would be catastrophic.

Labour were simply spending money they did not have, even during the boom period. It might be "nice" to have all the various services and healthcare that they provided, but if the country can't afford it, we shouldn't have had them in the first place. It isn't the governments job to perform every little service in people's lives, it is people's responsiblity to manage their own lives, get jobs, don't have kids if they can't afford them, and if they do have kids, to raise them properly, not to rely on SureStart centres to tell them how to wipe their arses.

Through immigration, the increase in needless public sector jobs (for the middle classes) and benefits (for the lower classes) Labour tried to buy themselves an electorate. Enough people saw through it and they got voted out. I don't see them coming back anytime soon, and if they did, it would be a disaster for the country. How much tax do you expect "the rich" to have to pay? 90%? More? When the highest earning 10% pay over half of all tax revenue, you are heading for very shaky ground, as it only takes a minor exodus to leave the country in dire straits, with the public sector bankrupt and social security a distant memory.

• Paid Members
Or, I could have chosent to ignore the tax dodging lawbending etc rant on Philip Green, mainly because it bored me to tears and was quite frankly bollocks

Closed final salary pension ( in line with lots of other companies because of the massive pensions shortfall ( see Royal Mail for massive problems with that regards So its hardly something that is out of the ordinary) and upped workers contributions ( only a problem if they have a pension with arcadia, doesnt cause problems for those who have pensions elsewhere or indeed have a pension)

You don't see the problem with a business owner effectively cutting his workers' wages and then taking a fucking 1.2 billion bonus?

He didnt pay 400 million pounds tax because what appears to be a tax loophole... Instead of attacking the man, attack the system and get the loophole closed? Too simple? Nope, attack the man as his actions are 'obscene' even though there is no mention of law breaking, just 'its not on'

Lying to a girl just to fuck her, getting her pregnant and then running off so she can't find you isn't illegal either. This whole "it's legal so it's fine" attitude would be laughable if it weren't so hypocritical. Bet we'll find you ranting and raving about benefit scroungers, though.

Its that social injustice again isnt it?

Yeah, it is. Being sarky about it doesn't make you right or more well-informed, it just makes you look smug.

Then rants on they , them and how unfair it is and oh yeah, 'New Labour sucked too' for legitimising this mess, So lets tax the rich to oblivion because they are too rich.

No, let's tax them because THEY AREN'T FUCKING PAYING WHAT THEY OWE. Stop flip-flopping: first you say "don't hate the player, hate the game", and now you're attacking anyone who advocates changing the game.

(Why is it sick and obscene, Tommy? Please do tell)

He's just fucking told you.

And how do you propose to 'rape the rich', without causing them all to fuck off out of the country because they have been raped of their cash, oh master?

Wow. First time I've seen the Internet equivalent of putting words in people's mouths. He didn't come out with that stupid phrase, you did, so why put it in quotes? It's bollocks anyway - is it raping the poor to make them pay their taxes?

Again - stop flip-flopping. You've said the government are the ones who should close the loopholes, and now you're saying closing the loopholes will drive them away.

What are the figures for this?

If you don't know, why are you arguing with him? How do you know he's posted this rant without knowing them?

How do you propose to get the cash?

He's just said: tax.

Why dont the services need to be cut.

Err, because access to decent health services, security, safety from fire and school education are basic human rights?

What do you do if there is another shortfall and recession etc. Can only raid the piggy bank so many times

Any suggestions Tommy? C'mon their must be something? Even a little? No?

YAWN!

So I chose the other thing to comment on

Yay, go you. Really shoring up the intellectual elite of the libertarian movement, you are.