General politics discussion thread

David

Through it all, Nick Clegg sat there like James Caan in the film Misery, awakening from unconsciousness to find his legs are broken and he is held captive by an axe-wielding maniac.

Or as Sickboy put it, "Clegg's expression exactly matches that of a schoolboy watching a bullying incident which was initially "a laugh," but has now gone too far."

Has Clegg really done all that mcuh wrong through this? The budget yesterday was actually nowhere near as bad as people imagined, the higher rate of tax was included, as the Libbies said they would demand and there were some quite sensible bits too to please everyone ie the drop in corporation tax and the private jet tax to go after those 'tax dodgers'.

Also, I hate people calling up MPs on how they look during a lengthy speech, I would have been fast asleep after half an hour.

Edited by Van Dammer

I hope Clegg did have the decency to at least look a little apologetic when they announced the cut on winter fuel allowance, as that's another of the Lib Dem's manifesto pledges gone.

I know they have to compromise, I just wish they wouldn't look smug doing it.

Has Clegg really done all that mcuh wrong through this? The budget yesterday was actually nowhere near as bad as people imagined, the higher rate of tax was included, as the Libbies said they would demand and there were some quite sensible bits too to please everyone ie the drop in corporation tax and the private jet tax to go after those 'tax dodgers'..

????

England is now the only part of the UK still charging for some prescriptions after Scotland joined Northern Ireland and Wales in abolishing the fees.

About half a million people in Scotland should benefit from the change brought in by the SNP government.

It comes on the same day charges per item rise in England by 20p to

• Paid Members
Can anyone tell me what the situation is regarding eyetest costs in England etc? We get them free in Scotland as well.

I got mine free of charge last week. There's a voucher that employers must provide upon request to employees who work with Visual Display Units (a posh phrase for computers), which is accepted in most opticians'.

From the website:

If you regularly use a VDU screen as part of your job, your employer is legally obliged to pay for your eyecare.

Corporate eyecare vouchers are easy - our unique scheme enables you to use vouchers in over 96% of UK opticians.

Can anyone tell me what the situation is regarding eyetest costs in England etc? We get them free in Scotland as well.

I got mine free of charge last week. There's a voucher that employers must provide upon request to employees who work with Visual Display Units (a posh phrase for computers), which is accepted in most opticians'.

From the website:

If you regularly use a VDU screen as part of your job, your employer is legally obliged to pay for your eyecare.

Corporate eyecare vouchers are easy - our unique scheme enables you to use vouchers in over 96% of UK opticians.

Yeah although its pretty easy to get a free one regardless, almost all opticians run offers at some point giving free eye tests etc.

Ringleader of protest violence revealed to be council worker (and son of Labour head of Corporate Development).

What a f**king idiot. What a surprise that he's a public sector worker too. It's blatantly obvious that all the protests last weekend were purely about self-interest, they couldn't give a flying f**k about the public, they just know they're up shit creek if they lose their jobs in the cuts.

Ringleader of protest violence revealed to be council worker (and son of Labour head of Corporate Development).

What a f**king idiot. What a surprise that he's a public sector worker too. It's blatantly obvious that all the protests last weekend were purely about self-interest, they couldn't give a flying f**k about the public, they just know they're up shit creek if they lose their jobs in the cuts.

Nah, plenty of marchers doing what they believe in.

This however puts to bed the idea of the "Agent Provocateur" infiltrating these protests and starting the violence, it's a clear organised group of people a every protest, the Trotskyists, the same people it has always been.

Nah, plenty of marchers doing what they believe in.

This however puts to bed the idea of the "Agent Provocateur" infiltrating these protests and starting the violence, it's a clear organised group of people a every protest, the Trotskyists, the same people it has always been.

I know Trotskyists who were at the march that didn't riot. To apply a label like that is ridiculous.