The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

He does have variety though, which will be needed for the next World Cup in Australia. Conditions there mean you'll need more than accurate swing bowling that the test success has been based on, as they fielding restrictions mean we can't build up pressure like we do in the longer game, plus you can hit through the ball a lot easier as it swings less so batters can go aerial more.

We got battered in the last one day series down there after the Ashes as the bowling was a bit predictable, so someone who can mix it up at pace or a leg-spinning option like Borthwick or Rashid really should be in the thinking for that squad. Don't think England will ever really trust a leg spinner though, will always prefer the more economical finger spinning option - hence Yardy going to the last World Cup.

• 3 weeks later...

sad to hear the passing of Graham Dilly

Yes, one of my early cricketing heroes. No-one has a bad word to say about him, really sad news.
A top bloke too. I was playing for Leeds Uni against Loughbrough about 8 years ago when he was coach, and it pissed it down for all three days. So he spent most of the week regailing us with tales of the Ashes tour of 1986/87. It was superb. one highlight being how after a hard days play, Dilley and Botham were in the bar with a glass of red and a cigar at about 11pm. Botham was rooming with Defreitas, who had just come in from having a quiet meal out. Defreitas sees the two old pros and the bar and tries to sneak passed, and go to bed. "Oh no you don't" said Botham, and they got him pissed on Rum and Coke. He missed the team coach the day after, and had to get a taxi to the ground to get there about half an hour before the days play. Luckily, England were batting overnight so it didn't matter.Top bloke.

• Paid Members

Jamie Bairstow just twatted 104 off 53 balls with 8 sixes in a warm-up match against Hyderabad. Looks like he's jumped to the top of the list of 'next big thing' young batsmen we have ahead of Hales, Stokes and Buttler.

• Paid Members
Johnny Bairstow Gladders, come on!

He's a massive talent that's for sure, probably the most naturally gifted talent to come out of Yorkshire in a long while. I don't think it'll be too long before he's pushing Kieswetter all the way too. A serious talent.

Why did I call him Jamie then? 'kin 'ell.

Have you been surprised at how Borthwick has jumped the queue ahead of Rashid in the leg-spinner ranks? Rashid must have an attitude problem or something for them to have ignored him for so long. I know his form dropped away at the end of the season, but something else must have happened there. Borthwick's done really well since he came in, though.

I honestly don't know. He has had a really poor season though - with bat and ball. I'm not having the attitude problem though - I've known him on and off for the best part of 8 years, and he's one of the nicest, humble lads I've ever met. I guess with leg spin, things can change so quickly. Look at Schofield. One test and thanks for coming. I'm pretty sure the winter tour we took him on a few years back where he basically carried drinks didn't help - he could have toured with the Lions instead and worked on his game. Its just a difficult art leg spin. Maybe the death of Terry Jenner affected him, not in a sense of emotional breakdown or anything, but rather from a technical point of view (a bit morbid I know, but there you go). I know Jenner worked very closely with him in the past, and there is nobody else in Yorkshire who has an idea about spin bowling - the coaches at Yorks are all seam bowlers, such as Steve Oldham, Craig White and Arnie Sidebottom, so there's nobody to help a young spinner in trouble.

So, in conclusion, I have fucking no idea.

• Paid Members
I honestly don't know. He has had a really poor season though - with bat and ball. I'm not having the attitude problem though - I've known him on and off for the best part of 8 years, and he's one of the nicest, humble lads I've ever met. I guess with leg spin, things can change so quickly. Look at Schofield. One test and thanks for coming. I'm pretty sure the winter tour we took him on a few years back where he basically carried drinks didn't help - he could have toured with the Lions instead and worked on his game. Its just a difficult art leg spin. Maybe the death of Terry Jenner affected him, not in a sense of emotional breakdown or anything, but rather from a technical point of view (a bit morbid I know, but there you go). I know Jenner worked very closely with him in the past, and there is nobody else in Yorkshire who has an idea about spin bowling - the coaches at Yorks are all seam bowlers, such as Steve Oldham, Craig White and Arnie Sidebottom, so there's nobody to help a young spinner in trouble.

So, in conclusion, I have fucking no idea.

Hmm, it's an odd one. I mean, they fancied him enough down under to have him turn out for someone or other in the Big Bash, so clearly they rate him down there.

I guess he is still young but we've got a lot of young spinners around at the moment and if you get jumped in the queue by a few you might well be buggered. What makes it all the more baffling, though, is that England are mental on all-rounders and he is as close to a genuine one as we have around. Bizarre.