The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

To use an entirely relevant Bottom quote, "Things are looking bleak!"

I think this time, aside from Pietersen, this has been less to do with England batting crap and more to do with Mohammed Amir bowling quite amazingly well - more and more he looks like the natural successor to Wasim Akram.

• Paid Members

Trott has played one of the best test innings I've seen for ages here. Contrast that with Pietersen's one ball swipe.

As for Broad, what a superb innings as well. When he bats well, he tends to bowl better too, so hopefully it will inspire him to something better with the ball.

When England were 40-odd for 5 I thought 200 would be a really good score. To get 300+ would be an amazing recovery.

Absolutely. If we didn't have Trott in the side at the moment, it would have been an absolute collapse and we'd be staring at another defeat. To go from 47-5 to 261-7 is a brilliant recovery from Trott and Broad. Trott is definitely already going to Australia, and Broad is once again showing that he could be the all rounder to replace Flintoff in the Test side. Even if he gets knocked a bit for his bowling as of late, his batting will have certainly helped him keep his place in the side. Has Broad ever made a century?

• Paid Members
Absolutely. If we didn't have Trott in the side at the moment, it would have been an absolute collapse and we'd be staring at another defeat. To go from 47-5 to 261-7 is a brilliant recovery from Trott and Broad. Trott is definitely already going to Australia, and Broad is once again showing that he could be the all rounder to replace Flintoff in the Test side. Even if he gets knocked a bit for his bowling as of late, his batting will have certainly helped him keep his place in the side. Has Broad ever made a century?

Not yet, even if first class cricket. I reckon he'll make a couple in test cricket though before his career is up.

• Paid Members

Not yet, even if first class cricket. I reckon he'll make a couple in test cricket though before his career is up.

His previous best was something like 72 IIRC.

*EDIT*

And there's his 100. Absolutely brilliant today.

Edited by Burchill's Buddy

His previous best was something like 72 IIRC.

I know they've been talking about how his Dad's best score at Lords was 86 against Sri Lanka. He's just made the century as well. That's a cracking fight back, well played Broad.

Incredible day really, wont see too many similar ones with records being broken along the way. England's 4, 5 and 6 get ducks for the first time ever in the same innings, followed by two absolutely superb innings that also brings up individual/team records. Very well played indeed from Broad and Trott.

Trott's average at Lords now must be about 400 :laugh: They showed you earlier in the day and it was something like 345 then.

• Paid Members
Incredible day really, wont see too many similar ones with records being broken along the way. England's 4, 5 and 6 get ducks for the first time ever in the same innings, followed by two absolutely superb innings that also brings up individual/team records. Very well played indeed from Broad and Trott.

Trott's average at Lords now must be about 400 :laugh: They showed you earlier in the day and it was something like 345 then.

It really was an amazing day. Trott's innings reminded me of one Graham Gooch played back in 1991 against the West Indies at Headingley where no-one else aside from Ramprakash got a score, and he got something like 154 not out. As for Broad, it really was great knock but what was best about it was that he played it when England really needed it - and he didn't just settle for 100, he went on to 125. Fantastic stuff, and that day is a prime example of why test cricket is so superior to 20/20 and ODIs.

Last night, I was saying to a friend that England should have declared overnight to be able to come out this morning with the new ball and (hopefully) some cloudy conditions with the hope of picking up a couple of quick wickets. In fact, I think I went so far as to say that if they didn't declare, it'd be a big mistake and prevent a result from happening.

We're only half way through the third day, but I can imagine that England's bowlers will be pushing for a win now. Trott and Broad batting brilliant once again this morning with Broad beating his dad's best ever score in a Test match and Trott getting his second highest Test score and a second century at Lords. England seem to have grabbed a couple of quick wickets fairly early on. I quite fancy Broad to get a five-for in this innings.

Without tempting fate (as I just love to), I'm hoping we can enforce the follow on.

• Paid Members

I am scratching my head at how bad Pakistan actually are, and how the hell England managed to lose the last test...

Broad has been one of my favourite players for a while, and that knock has confirmed how much I like him.

Do you guys reckon changing the squad for the Ashes now will be beneficial, or would you risk it as is?

• Paid Members

The squad almost picks itself really and I don't think they should make many changes:-

Strauss, Cook, Bell, Trott, Pietersen, Collingwood, Morgan, Prior, Kieswetter, Swann, Finn, Broad, Anderson, Shahzad - they will make up 14 of the spots. Then it's between Rashid and Tredwell for the second spinner slot (they will probably play it safe with Tredwell, unfortunately) and one more seamer, which could be just about anyone as we have so many promising ones. They may go with Plunkett.