The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

England's bowling in ODIs has always been fine yet it's always the bowling they're piddling around with. We don't know how to pace an innings in limited overs cricket - however, we are playing a lot of ODIs in the next 12 months so hopefully we will get good preparation for the next World Cup. We are a batsman short today though.

Well it seems to have done something today, though I feel that Australia have been too conservative in their innings so far. The spinners have really played their part in keeping the run rate down and I'd say Australia will be lucky to get 250 with just under 5 overs left as I write this.

This is winnable for England, just don't blow it.

EDIT: I'm clearly a fool. Australia finished with 260-5

Edited by LariatTom

• Moderators
Plodding crap as usual from our top order. The power play isn't there for poking it down to third man, there are 30 other overs to do that in, Bopara, you arse.

Jonathan Trott has always seemed stronger in the limited overs game, and he's a decent Medium bowler in it too. He's a powerful strokemaker more than a Boycott, and I'm baffled as to why he didn't play. But at the same time, we're talking about the same England who didn't pick Hick when he was still one of the best Limited Overs men until about 2004. And he'd still pick up wickets with his decent off-spin as well.

Edited by FrankSidebottom

• Paid Members
Plodding crap as usual from our top order. The power play isn't there for poking it down to third man, there are 30 other overs to do that in, Bopara, you arse.

Jonathan Trott has always seemed stronger in the limited overs game, and he's a decent Medium bowler in it too. He's a powerful strokemaker more than a Boycott, and I'm baffled as to why he didn't play. But at the same time, we're talking about the same England who didn't pick Hick when he was still one of the best Limited Overs men until about 2004. And he'd still pick up wickets with his decent off-spin as well.

Yes, Trott has an outstanding limited overs and 20/20 record and I think that's where most people saw him getting into the England team. It's worth pointing out that Alistair Cook, who I think the selectors see as too slow for ODIs, has made 3 centuries in one day cricket this season for Essex - and he hasn't played that many as he's been playing test matches. I think the time has come to drop Collingwood, personally, as like you say Trott can bowl about the same type of stuff, and we're not using Wright's bowling at all.

Well the second ODI is well underway with Broad not taking part due to a neck strain or something. Tim Bresnan is into the side, as is Eoin Morgan, but incredibly we've left Rashid out of the team. The best player in our side the other day and he doesn't get a place. Absolutely mental...

Either way, England are doing a pretty decent job so far. Australia are batting, 20 overs in and they're 75-3. That's a pretty darn good 20 overs of bowling from England.

Edited by LariatTom

I didn't watch much (caught the end in a bar) of the England match as I was at a pro 40 game between Warwickshire and Derbyshire, I though I'd point out Jonathon Trott and Ian Bell had a real nice partnership going until Trott got an unlucky LBW, they looked very natural together. Bell got 105 in the end. Might be worth thinking about considering England again got a very lacklustre score.

Think I should just stop posting in this thread during the ODI series. Firstly saying the first match was winnable for England and this time saying they doing a pretty decent job. I've learnt my lesson, so I'll shut up. :D

I didn't see any of the game and missed everything from the last part of Australia's innings onwards. How on earth did we lose this?!

we lost the game by regularly losing wickets. Some of them to poor shots, Shah to yet again a lack of concentration on running. I don't know what the deal is with Owais Shah, he plays some great shots but always looks anxious as the crease and always seems prone to a stupid run out. He also suffers with cramp quite often which probably comes from the anxiety, he must grip that bat like he wants to kill it.

Just have to say well done to my team Durham, easily the best in the county championship this year.

• Paid Members

Is this series Groundhog Day or what? What the fucking hell is the matter with these cunts? They get to 40 and think, "I'll just chip this one to the fielder, yes."

Bill Murray's going to turn up any minute and lamp someone, just you watch.