The Pavel Florin Supporters Club and Cricket Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

There is little evidence to suggest Rashid would definitely be expensive. He just had a ridiculous run rate of around 6 per over in the Big Bash or something, which is awesome for 20/20. He could bat at 7 or 8, and he's a fine fielder. The problem is we're scared of leggies playing for and against us over here.

I'm with you on Rashid Gladstone, I think this might just have been the time to throw him in. The ECB can't seem to decide what to do with him. I think the biggest loss in Pietersen going home is a batting order reshuffle is needed again. I liked KP at the top and obviously Morgan isn't going to slot in there. Glad to have Morgan back though, he's brilliant for us in ODI cricket.

Australia have sent Dougie Bollinger home and brought in Mike Hussey as a replacement. That doesn't sit right with me. I think if you have an injury in this squad system, you should only be allowed to bring in a like for like replacement.

It's just for leg spinning on the 50 over game you need an attacking field to try and get the batsmen to look to play shots, making them expensive - otherwise they just sit and wait for the loose ball which all leg spinners bowl. If you play Rashid as one of two spinners he has to be the strike bowler - and you'd always pick Swann for that.

• Paid Members

Don't forget Ian Salisbury.

Leggies have done quite well at this World Cup, suggesting that teams still don't play them at all well. Part-timers like Yardy are alright on slow and low pitches as they are hard to get away, but on these pitches that are paradise for batsmen, you need someone who can turn the ball and get wickets, and Rashid would have done, I think.

I just wonder when he will get any England involvement actually. He's not going to see much action over here in the summer as we almost never play two spinners so unless Swann goes lame he will be on the sidelines. After that though we tour Pakistan (probably in the UAE) and Sri Lanka, so I guess that will be what he could aim for with those pitches.

• Paid Members

He did have one very good test match against Pakistan at Lord's and showed really good control throughout. I think he got Javed Miandad out with a cracking googly. But he never seemed able to handle the pressure of batsmen going after him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Another ridiculously tight game. Brilliant bowling by Swanny and Tredders, we're hanging on by a thread but still standing. If we win this World Cup, it'll just be insane. Come on South Africa on saturday!

Just goes to show that Tredwell should have been in the team the whole time and that England might still regret not bringing a proper third spinner rather than a darter like Yardy.

We still have two chances if South Africa lose their match then India have to beat West Indies, so we should be in the quarters. Hopefully!

• Paid Members
Will be interesting to see who England call up as a replacement for Shahzad should they get through. Woakes and Finn played in Australia but a like for like replacement leaves the same problems with balance that we had before. Could do with a left armer of some form, whether a spinner or seamer to change up the angle a bit.

It will probably be Woakes or Plunkett, but I'm hoping they actually call up a spinner - Rashid or Danny Briggs.