New Doctor Who

stewdogg

• Paid Members

From Doctorwho.tv

Enjoy the current run of Doctor Who while it lasts because the wait for the next series is going to be a lengthy one.

Doctor Who Magazine has officially confirmed what has been clear for a while now

There's two Doctors. One that likes rubik's cubes, brown shoes and apples, and one that likes fish fingers in custard, black shoes and can't do rubik's cubes. Trust me.

That is a shout, right there.

I've been wondering about the sporadic coat wearing, and the rubik's cube disparity between two weeks ago, and last week, pricked my ears up.

Throwaway episode, light on any meaningful substance, but a fun romp well acted all the same. Seriously, Matt Smith is absolutely incredible, his delivery has a capacity to affect me like no other TV actor at the minute. He's not even primetime BBC good, he's genuinely brilliant. The scene with the baby under the simulated stars was beautiful; 'promise me, you'll have as much fun as I did.'

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Awards Moderator
Throwaway episode, light on any meaningful substance, but a fun romp well acted all the same. Seriously, Matt Smith is absolutely incredible, his delivery has a capacity to affect me like no other TV actor at the minute. He's not even primetime BBC good, he's genuinely brilliant. The scene with the baby under the simulated stars was beautiful; 'promise me, you'll have as much fun as I did.'

Indeed - I really enjoyed the episode, enough hints of a wider story arc to keep that going, but a perfectly fun and fine standalone episode, which I found extremely entertaining. Agreed on Smith as well, he's just so damn good as the Doctor - he can do funny asides and huge pathos almost at the same time.

And, Doctor save me, I thought James Corden was good as well.

• Paid Members

Absolutely agreed, I thought it was one of his best performances yet. I'm torn between hoping he sticks around for as long as possible on Doctor Who, and hoping that he can try his hand at other things and not get typecast. But whatever, he's not even 30 yet, branching out can come later when he's even fucking better than he is now. He could be incredible in the future given the gravitas and emotional range he already has.

The scene with the baby was wonderful, and even though it wasn't especially memorable in and of itself, I thought the scene where he was trying to stop noticing stuff and get back to the Tardis was also really well acted.

So yeah, fun detour episode which will likely be used as the root of a more significant Cybermen comeback later on. I thought they'd play into the finale more, to be honest, but that's probably because we're used to the two-parter episode closing the series out. Can't wait for next week - this whole series has been a tremendously satisfying package, and I'm looking forward to the wrap-up. Although I doubt it'll be completely tidy.

And I REALLY hope (and think) that this won't be the end of River Song - there's a lot more they can do with her yet. Such as meeting Captain Jack. Who just HAS to be back soon, doesn't he? Unless something happened to him in Torchwood (which I haven't been watching).

Anyone else think that because time can be re-written it'll turn out to be Rory killed by River Song?

I can't help but think the 'greatest man she ever knew' will be her dad.

I've had this suspicion for quite a while actually. If it turns out to be true, it'll be a great shame because Arthur Darvill has been absolutely fantastic during this series. But yeah, "the greatest man she ever knew" would point towards being her father.

Was there anything said in the first episode about the Doctor's death being a fixed point in time? I know that sort of thing has cropped up a few times in Doctor Who saying that certain events are destined to happen and can't be rewritten (or shouldn't), but I still think that someone has to die during the finale in an attempt to save the Doctor. For me, that means we either see the end of River Song or Rory the Roman.

Is the finale a regular 45 minute episode next week or have we got a slightly longer episode like we've seen in the past? With it not being in two parts, I fear it'll be really rushed to get everything in and try to make as much sense as possible.

Edited by LariatTom

Anyone else think that because time can be re-written it'll turn out to be Rory killed by River Song?

I can't help but think the 'greatest man she ever knew' will be her dad.

I've had this suspicion for quite a while actually. If it turns out to be true, it'll be a great shame because Arthur Darvill has been absolutely fantastic during this series. But yeah, "the greatest man she ever knew" would point towards being her father.

Was there anything said in the first episode about the Doctor's death being a fixed point in time? I know that sort of thing has cropped up a few times in Doctor Who saying that certain events are destined to happen and can't be rewritten (or shouldn't), but I still think that someone has to die during the finale in an attempt to save the Doctor. For me, that means we either see the end of River Song or Rory the Roman.

In "Let's Kill Hitler" the little people inside the robot said his death was a fixed point in time.

so cybermen....

from an alternate universe and crossed over with the rift "ghost machine" with tennant,

made by "Trigger" from fools and horses out of normal human stock (hence the logo on their chest)

and now from space thousands of years ago.

can someone link them together for me? ta.

the doctor has been travelling for 200 years since he dropped off Amy and Rory.

he could have made many many flesh versions of himself in that time, didn't he state it was and amazing thing that they were about to witness when he first saw the vat of flesh?

so cybermen....

from an alternate universe and crossed over with the rift "ghost machine" with tennant,

made by "Trigger" from fools and horses out of normal human stock (hence the logo on their chest)

and now from space thousands of years ago.

can someone link them together for me? ta.

They could of been Mondas Cybermen