[Nominations] Best Match of 2007

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Batista vs The Undertaker - Wrestlemania 23Takeshi Morishima vs Bryan Danielson - ROH Manhattan Mayhem IICM Punk vs John Morrison (Punk wins the title, surprised this has been overlooked up to now) - ECW, SeptemberI might have nominated a Briscoes match, but as I haven't seen the Ladder War yet, I don't want to pick anything else

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing not many people saw the classic that was KENTA & Ishimori Vs Marufuji & Kota Ibushi from July 15th. That's the real winner (but only because I haven't watched THE Kobashi match yet).Yuji Nagata Vs Hiroshi Tanahashi NJPW April 13thKatsuhiko Nakajima Vs Shuji Kondo AJPW February 18th

Matt Hardy vs Finlay, Smackdown-May?

22nd June 2007.Anyway, I think I'll just nominate the ones I enjoyed the most:Chris Benoit vs. Montel Vontavious Porter (SmackDown!, 13/04/07)Edge vs. Randy Orton (Raw, 30/04/07)Matt Hardy vs. Finlay (SmackDown!, 22/06/07)Umaga vs Jeff Hardy (Great American Bash, 23/7/07)Four of the best mid-card matches I've seen in years. Fancy moves alone aren't enough (although all three matches had some great 'wrestling' in them) - the reason all of them did it for me because they told a story and built well from start to finish. In the case of Benoit/MVP I'm not surprised/don't have a problem with people nominating Benoit matches but I was a bit surprised at the amount of votes here for Benoit/MVP from WrestleMania since I thought they went on to have better matches since then. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed all of their matches but this was the standout one. The thing I liked about this feud was that it wasn't just that MVP wanted to win the U.S. title from Chris Benoit (which he eventually did): that was the storyline and as far as WWE storylines go it showed you can sometimes just have two guys fight over something which is very pretty basic yet effective (one guy wants to be champion, the other guy wants to keep the belt). But the actual matches told a different story alongside that - namely that MVP didn't just want to beat Benoit he wanted to out-wrestle him, hence all the exchanges they had on the mat. It was like MVP was studying tapes and practising in the gym everyday so that he could one day be able to out-wrestle Chris Benoit and say "I'm better than you" to the guy who's gimmick rested on him being 'The Best Technical Wrestler'.Here they accomplished two things as: 1.) They surpassed their WM effort; 2.) Having come close on previous occasions MVP got the win over his rival... Only to come up short again when the title was on the line at Backlash, and thus the feud continues. As does MVP's quest to become as good as Chris Benoit. Edge/Orton was an interesting one in that at the time everyone was annoyed it was given away on free TV and saw that as punishment for Orton wrecking that hotel room. I'm sure that was how it was intended but in the end I'm pleased we got to see it at all since two weeks later Undertaker would get injured and they were forced to move Edge to Raw. So if they hadn't given this away and instead continued building for a match between the two at Judgment Day I don't think we would have got it at all since Edge would be the SD! champ and I think they'd have still had Batista as the guy to challenge him first. It kicked off the April 30th edition of Raw which was one of the better TV shows they've done all year and it got people in the mood for the rest of the show.My comments at the time:

One of the best TV matches so far this year. The slow-burn build-up to Rated rKo splitting up was one of the more interesting stories they

Edited by TheBigBoot

Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Gamma vs. Anthony W. Mori, BxB Hulk, Super Shisa - Unit vs. Unit, OTG title (Dragon Gate, 23/2/07)Naruki Doi, Mastao Yoshino, Gamma, Magnitude Kishiwada, Jack Evans, Cyber Kong,Genki Horiguchi vs. CIMA, Ryo Saito, Susumu Yokusuka, BxB Hulk, Dragon Kid, Anthony W. Mori, Matt Sydal - Naniwa-style elimination (Dragon Gate, 17/4/07)Ryo Saito, CIMA, Susumu Yokosuka vs. Shingo Takagi, BxB Hulk, Cyber Kong - OTG title (Dragon Gate, 10/5/07)Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino vs. Atsushi Aoki, Yoshinobu Kanemaru - GHC Jr. Heavyweight Tag titles (Dragon Gate, 28/12/07)Edge vs. Mr. Kennedy vs. Finlay vs. Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk vs. King Booker - Money In The Bank Ladder (WWE WrestleMania 23)John Cena vs. Randy Orton - WWE title (SummerSlam 2007)