Best British Wrestler of 2006

tiger_rick

The best BRITISH pro-wrestler of 2006?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Voting for the best BRITISH pro-wrestler of 2006.As suggested by Lister and UK Hat Guy, this category covers the British pro-wrestling scene, so I've taken the decision that Nigel McGuiness, Fit Finlay, etc do not count. Apologies for not thinking of this before nominations started. Discussion allowed.

I voted Iceman.To be fair, I've never seen three of those wrestlers wrestle. Also I saw a grand total of about a dozen UK shows in 2006. But I found Iceman to be more consistently entertaining in the ring and definitely on the mic than the other six of those wrestlers that I did see last year.

• Paid Members

I voted for Martin Stone. For me, this has been his year, the year in which he developed into a credible figurehead for British wrestling.

A believable character - actually, scrub that, because when he wrestles you don't even see him as a character. You 100% believe in everything he does, which in turn makes his matches more compelling. The intensity, passion and emotion he brings to his matches is matched by few, and I can't think of a single British wrestler out of the many, many I saw in 2006 that entered into so many consistently fantastic performances, bringing out the best in both him and his opponent.

Yes, Pac has had a breakout year and will do this, that and everything else in his career ahead, but I think 2006 was the year of the Stone, for firmly establishing himself as the top dog.

Very close call between Pac and Stone on this one...but I just went with Pac. The only reason I can give, and it might fly in the face of the voting criteria slightly, is that the guy made something of an impression on an international audience this year, showcasing the talents of the British scene (albeit by doing a style far removed from the traditional British stuff). Stone hasn't really made that international step yet, though I'm sure it will happen. Doug Williams appears to be leading the ballot as I write. I might be contradicting myself a little here, baring in mind my reasons for Pac, but I don't think Doug did enough on home shores this year to be considered. Sure, every match I ever saw him in was nothing less than a joy to watch. But he hasn't been in much high-profile (at least, on the level of British wrestling) stuff in this country this year...

PS, new Martin Stone shoot interview available here - and for all people who haven't seen IPW or LDN before (or even who have!), two special bonus matches, Stone vs. Leroy Kincaide in IPW:UK and never before released, Stone vs. Ross Jordan from LDN.

Stone talks about a number of promotions in it, including many on this list for best British and best Overall promotion.