Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members
The reason that the belt was put on Lynn was literally that Silkin thought it would be a great idea. Gabeford disagreed, and that was one of the reasons why he got the boot in Oct 2008.

Kind of ironic that Hero got bounced for a failed roids test - the reason he went on them in the first place was presumably to give hima better chance of being accepted by WWE! :laugh: That's old "Left Foot" Laurinitis for you

I'm sure i read mr silkin thought it could be a very long tie-in to the wrestler, as it'd be "veteran returns to win the gold". Once again, i love Jerry Lynn, but he should not of been anywhere near the main event in ROH at all.

Strange thing with Hero, i'd cant say if he was on steroids or not (and its not a knock on him but i would say not really), but again they must really want him to say "Ok you've failed the test, go home and come back again later when you feel better ;) ". Really Hoping he get the job done with WWE. I saw KOW last year live, and must say they really are pure amazing. Not sure if they'll have alot of freedom in WWE, but it'll be an easy tag title run for them when they get there!

I'm really surprised at how much I have lost interest in ROH since the new TV show and the takeover.

I think it's just the lack of talent depth, especially when it comes to the main events for me. Compared to a few years back, it's considerably weaker.

It's nice to see some people still enjoying it, but I really expected to see the company thrive on their new found opportunities, but if anything they've got worse for me.

• Paid Members
I'm sure i read mr silkin thought it could be a very long tie-in to the wrestler, as it'd be "veteran returns to win the gold". Once again, i love Jerry Lynn, but he should not of been anywhere near the main event in ROH at all.

Well, that was the rationale behind it, but to say it tanked would be a mild understatement.

• Paid Members

Well, that was the rationale behind it, but to say it tanked would be a mild understatement.
Just seemed stupid at the time, Lynn hadent really done alot in a while anyway, let alone a few matches in ROH, but he went on to beat one of the longest reigning champions of all time, (did Nigel also have most defences also?), which maybe should of been Claudio back on one of the PPVs or Austin Aries by the time it came down to it.Was the lynn stuff what gabe / cary had an falling out over, hence the current DGUSA/ROH issue?

DVD covers look really slick, so I'm glad they getting that aspect right - now just stop using too many fonts in the adverts, or even a more professional design on the said adverts, it looks like the adverts for a 20 man american wrestling rumble at your local church hall or something.

ManhattanMayhemIV.jpg

ROH Manhattan Mayhem IV

March 19th, 2011.

Before reading this bare in mind I am only just getting back into ROH. I used to watch it back when we had the wonderful TWC but since then I've watched the odd match and odd episode of HD Net. I've decided to get into buying ROH dvds and was very pleased with this one. I've tried to put some comments on the event without spoiling it for anyone who'd may want to watch it.

Adam Cole & Kyle O'Reilly Vs Michael Elgin & Mike Mondo

Before this match I didn't know who any of the guys were but they put up a cracking opener. I really enjoyed this match and was one of my favorites on the card. Michael Elgin really stood out to me and he gave a brilliant performance. Elgin seemed quick, strong, agile and powerful. Him turning on Mondo at the end of the match was great aswell. Will make sure to look out for him. I thought Truth Martini was brilliant aswel and his involvement in the main event was another highlight of the show. Cracking Opener 4/5

Tomasso Clampa Vs Grizzly Redwood.

I enjoyed this match it didn't last too long but Clampa seems like a powerhouse not too sure if he's too my taste though. As a first time seeing either guy I enjoyed Grizzly Redwood. A modern day spike Dudley and not bad in the ring. Nice unique look aswell. The match wasn't anything special. I have a slight understanding of The Embacey but not much. 2.5/5

Steve Corino Vs "The Prodigy" Mike Bennett.

Before I start I can't stand Corino I've always though hes shit from his ECW days and he was worse than usual for this match. On the other hand Bennett has a great look and seemed decent in the ring. I was drifting out of focus with this match and it wouldn't be one I'd watch again. 1.5/5

The Briscoe Brothers Vs The All Night Express

I'm a big fan of the Briscoe Brothers and think they're one of the best tag teams out there today. Briscoes gave a decent performance but I wasn't buying into Titus Riley (I'm sure that's his name.. from All Night Express) wasn't really digging his style and I felt he no sold a fair few moves. Throughout the match there were a fair few spots and some decent action. Saying that it was a solid tag team bout and I'd watch it again. That Kenny lad isn't bad though. 4/5

El Generico Vs TJ Perkins

I'm a fan of both guys here and they put up a decent match. Wasn't majorly memorable but provided a solid a match. 4/5

Kings Of Wrestling Vs Homicide & Hernandez

I've been wanting to see this match since I first heard about it in March and to be fair it was one of the main selling points for the dvd. I am a big fan of both tag teams and didn't mind who'd win. Although looking back the right team won. The crowd had some great chants as they brought back the "Fuck TNA!" chant and a few others. Both teams put out an outstanding performance. LAX looked great together and it makes you realize what a daft idea it was from TNA's part to split them up, especially in the shitty way that they did. Highlight of the match would go for the Boarder Cross out of the ring to Homicide onto Castagnoli and Hero. Hero and Castagnoli are great I've followed the two slightly through the years. Castagnoli is an outstanding worker and I hope his future WWE career is bright. 5/5

ROH Television Championship: Davey Richards Vs Christopher Daniels

Brilliant match between the two with the Pure Rules being used. Davey Richards is modern day Benoit and is an outstanding competitor who in this match took a brutal botch when messing up the Shooting Star Press and landing on the top rope stomach first. Daniels is Daniels he's good but sometimes abit shit at the same time. I've preferred more of his ROH work compared to his recent TNA work. 4/5

ROH World Title: Eddie Edwards Vs Roderick Strong

The American Wolves are a great Tag Team but I was abit weary about Edwards main eventing the event. He reminds me far too much of Matt Sydal (who I think is utter shite) but I was suprised Edwards won me over in this one. I've always felt Richard's overshadows him and makes Edwards look shit but Edwards was on his own to give an outstanding performance against Strong. I've always been a fan of Strong he's a great talent and I'm a fan of his teaming with Truth. Cracking Main Event and I loved the ending with The American Wolves with the foundations for a feud between the two. 4.5/5

Not too sure what everyone thinks of this event but I thought it was top notch. Easily I'd give it a 8.5/10. Recommending the opener Briscoes/ANX, Daniels/Richards, LAX/KOW & Strong/Edwards. Again I'm not a massive fan of ROH so please excuse me if I seem abit daft on some comments regarding booking or use of talent.

Edited by Twinn

• Paid Members

Was the lynn stuff what gabe / cary had an falling out over, hence the current DGUSA/ROH issue?

Man, this was only four years ago, my memory is shot. The first thing is that Gabe has always been a bit of a prick - or "difficult to deal with" if you want to be diplomatic. He was at odds with Silkin over the amount of shows the latter insisted on running - some 40-odd in 2007 if memory serves - and Gabe was burnt out as a booker as a result. 2008 was a bad year for ROH - financially they struggled as a result of the Cow Palace show that lost a ton of money in late 2007, and creatively the product was knackered too. If memory serves Silkin gave Gabe the boot without warning right after the Ring of Homicide 2 show in Oct 2008. DG:USA/ ROH - what happened there was largely due to Richards wanting himself an ROH contract. He booked himself on the DG:USA Wrestlemania weekend shows knowing full well ROH were running as well. It ended up with Richards signing said contract and Gabe doing his thing of using the real name of wrestlers he's fallen out with - "DG:USA regrets to announce that Wesley 'Davey' Richards won't be appearing" etc (he did the same thing on the ROH website in 2003 when Lo-Ki walked out for the first time). Richards undoubtedly behaved badly; but after witnessing yet another of Gabe's tantrums you didn't really feel sorry for him afterwards.

I thought Richards/Daniels was boring as hell. I was disappointed after the fun Edwards/Daniels fued.4/5 for Generico/Perkins? It was fun midcard fare, but it was nothing special.

For what it was with no build or storyline Generico/Perkins was a solid and smooth match. Didn't find myself getting bored for the solid 10 minutes they were at. I'm probably being abit biased and favourable though due to seeing Generico at a local promotion BWP who had a show in Prestatyn last October.Daniels/Richards was decent saying that though I'm a mark for Richards though

• Moderators

Come back, Gabe. All is forgiven:2poyw6u.gif"MMA! MMA! MMA!"

PURE SPORTS BUILD!No, that's pretty fucking awful.Is there any truth in the rumour I've read saying that Corino is done with ROH? I hope not. He and Steen have been pretty much the only thing there that's interested me as of late.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I've heard he's done as well. I think he was only in to put Steen over. I think Maria's back, though. So thats a bonus. Not like Cornette would know what to do with her. He and his fat wife took a dislike to her when she was in OVW.Lance Storm made me piss myself laughing the way he tore into former Everton right back Matt Jackson on F4Daily recently. Calling him a shit worker and a moron and all sorts. Nobody likes the Young Bucks.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN