Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members
As for McGuinness, seeing as how the thread devoted to his departure seems to be attracting a large amount of dickheads, I'll post my response here.

Funny, by UKFF standards that thread has been largely dickhead free so one would suggest you reading it again. And like Tommy! said, the majority of opinions would seem to at least partially agree with you.

• Moderators

So, where's this magical bunch of Dickheads? Is it the people who all acknowledged that McGuinness leaving roh miight not be brilliant, if that's the case, then praise be, the bloody heathens!

And more importantly, if dickheads are dickheads, yet people do not let them know in the thread, but instead doing it on the quiet, does that make other people bigger dickheads?

The facts are anyone who can put their own kecks on know that Vince would not allow roh to have a Monday slot. It's common sense. So anyone approaching a mediocre fame would be swept up. It's not being a dickhead, it's common sense.

Edited by FrankSidebottom

• Paid Members

Nigel hasn't really done anything in ROH since dropping the title, and his title reign ran out of steam well before the end, so I don't actually see this as nearly as big a blow to ROH as it could have been, and certainly it's not nearly as big an impact as Danielson leaving.

In the first quarter of this year, Nigel looked in severe trouble with both his arms wrecked by those lariats, so I wonder how long it'll be before he can get to full health and make any kind of impact in the WWE machine. Here's hoping he can make a name for himself in the big leagues, though...

• Paid Members

Can't be arsed to argue - I know what meant and I stand by it. But feel free to cut more promos. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Paid Members
Can't be arsed to argue - I know what meant and I stand by it. But feel free to cut more promos. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

so why post anything?

Who's arguing any way, people were discussing it in the other thread and you kicked off with the dickhead line in all honesty.

I'd like to see Nigel do something, as long as they use him in some form then he can get something out of it after how hards hes worked pandering to the ROH fans.

For ROH personally i think its going to make the steps forward harder as again they have lost a name they have established with the ROH name.

• Paid Members

You know as well as we do that you're really just saying you can't argue because your point was bullshit.

This is getting into Yes Minster territory - "What don't I know Bernard?/ I don't know Minister. I don't know what you don't know."

• Paid Members

You know as well as we do that you're really just saying you can't argue because your point was bullshit.

This is getting into Yes Minster territory - "What don't I know Bernard?/ I don't know Minister. I don't know what you don't know."

I don't recall an episode of Yes Minister where Paul Eddington made some stupid comment and got picked up on it and then tried to hide behind a load of bullshit.

On a different note are both the War of the Wire and Ring Of Homicide DVD's no longer on the ROH site?

Any chance of a match run down on both shows, I'm working on the assumption theres a War of the Wire 1 as theres a 2 and Ring Of Homicide ends with Joe Vs Necro.

I don't recall an episode of Yes Minister where Paul Eddington made some stupid comment and got picked up on it and then tried to hide behind a load of bullshit.

On a different note are both the War of the Wire and Ring Of Homicide DVD's no longer on the ROH site?

Any chance of a match run down on both shows, I'm working on the assumption theres a War of the Wire 1 as theres a 2 and Ring Of Homicide ends with Joe Vs Necro.

My guess is that both dvds are sold out and roh arent gonna bother with a reprint due to budget constraints.

• Paid Members

Seeing as how the DVDs are out of print, here are the results for the shows from the past results page on the ROH site...

War of the Wire - Framingham, MA 11/29/03

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

1. The Backseat Boyz defeated Fast Eddie & Hotstuff Hernandez

2. Special K (Dixie, Lit, Hydro & Angeldust) defeated The Carnage Crew (Loc & Devito) & The SAT in a Scramble Match

3. CM Punk defeated Jimmy Rave in the first match of the gauntlet

4. Matt Stryker defeated CM Punk to move on in the gauntlet

5. Matt Stryker defeated Colt Cabana to advance to the next round of the gauntlet

6. BJ Whitmer defeated Matt Stryker to win the gauntlet

7. The Outcast Killaz defeated Slyk Wagner Brown & April Hunter

8. John Walters defeated Xavier. After the match, Xavier destroyed Walters with a steel chair, setting up their match at Final Battle 2003

9. The Briscoes defeated The Prophecy (Christopher Daniels & Dan Maff) to retain the ROH Tag Team Titles

10. Samoa Joe defeated AJ Styles to retain the ROH World Title

11. Steve Corino defeated Homicide in a No-Ropes Barbed Wire Match when Julius Smokes threw in the towel as Homicide was locked in a cobra choke. This feud continued with extreme violence, as even barbed wire bats, forks and rubbing alcohol came into play.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Ring of Homicide - Edison, NJ 5/13/06

1 . Colt Cabana defeated Kikutaro

2. Homicide & Ricky Reyes beat Dunn & Marcos

3. Jimmy Rave beat Jimmy Yang

4. Nigel McGuinness beat Jay Lethal to retain the Pure Title

5. Bryan Danielson defeated Delirious to retain the ROH World Title

6. Christopher Daniels beat Matt Sydal

7. Austin Aries & Roderick Strong beat Jay & Mark Briscoe to retain the Tag Titles

8. Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher went to a No Contest which lead to a wild brawl involving Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, BJ Whitmer, & Adam Pearce. Homicide eventually came out leading to a match where Homicide defeated Necro Butcher following a wild brawl

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members
I don't recall an episode of Yes Minister where Paul Eddington made some stupid comment and got picked up on it and then tried to hide behind a load of bullshit

Jesus, get over it dude. If it means that much to you I'll e-mail you an apology.

Anyway, onto to other things....

Proving Ground Night 1

• Paid Members
Seeing as how the DVDs are out of print, here are the results for the shows from the past results page on the ROH site...

War of the Wire - Framingham, MA 11/29/03

1. The Backseat Boyz defeated Fast Eddie & Hotstuff Hernandez

2. Special K (Dixie, Lit, Hydro & Angeldust) defeated The Carnage Crew (Loc & Devito) & The SAT in a Scramble Match

3. CM Punk defeated Jimmy Rave in the first match of the gauntlet

4. Matt Stryker defeated CM Punk to move on in the gauntlet

5. Matt Stryker defeated Colt Cabana to advance to the next round of the gauntlet

6. BJ Whitmer defeated Matt Stryker to win the gauntlet

7. The Outcast Killaz defeated Slyk Wagner Brown & April Hunter

8. John Walters defeated Xavier. After the match, Xavier destroyed Walters with a steel chair, setting up their match at Final Battle 2003

9. The Briscoes defeated The Prophecy (Christopher Daniels & Dan Maff) to retain the ROH Tag Team Titles

10. Samoa Joe defeated AJ Styles to retain the ROH World Title

11. Steve Corino defeated Homicide in a No-Ropes Barbed Wire Match when Julius Smokes threw in the towel as Homicide was locked in a cobra choke. This feud continued with extreme violence, as even barbed wire bats, forks and rubbing alcohol came into play.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Ring of Homicide - Edison, NJ 5/13/06

1 . Colt Cabana defeated Kikutaro

2. Homicide & Ricky Reyes beat Dunn & Marcos

3. Jimmy Rave beat Jimmy Yang

4. Nigel McGuinness beat Jay Lethal to retain the Pure Title

5. Bryan Danielson defeated Delirious to retain the ROH World Title

6. Christopher Daniels beat Matt Sydal

7. Austin Aries & Roderick Strong beat Jay & Mark Briscoe to retain the Tag Titles

8. Samoa Joe vs. Necro Butcher went to a No Contest which lead to a wild brawl involving Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, BJ Whitmer, & Adam Pearce. Homicide eventually came out leading to a match where Homicide defeated Necro Butcher following a wild brawl

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Thanks for that, I caught the end of Ring Of Homicide on TWC I believe and thought it was quite good.

I may look those up some where down the road some time soon

I don't recall an episode of Yes Minister where Paul Eddington made some stupid comment and got picked up on it and then tried to hide behind a load of bullshit

Jesus, get over it dude. If it means that much to you I'll e-mail you an apology.

Could you not just post it? ;)

And what is there to apologize for, its admittance really isn't it.

• Paid Members

ROH Steel City Clash - Elizabeth, PA - 20.3.09

ROH tries the Pittsburgh market for the first time since two not particularly well attended shows in 2003. The crowd size here isn't very good either.

Sterling James Keenan cuts a backstage promo. The guy can talk reasonably, I guess, but I really, really don't rate him at all as a wrestler. His match with Delirious is up first. There's no chance in hell of SJK beating the once again fan favourite Delirious. So, by the time Delirious wins with the Panic Attack and Shadows Over Hell in 8 minutes, has SJK looked good or worthy of bringing back? The answer is no. Go away, SJK. Please.

Kenny King and Rhett Titus vs Erick Stevens and Matt Cross is interrupted before it even begins by Austin Aries. Aries apologises for not being there for Stevens and Cross back in the days of the Resilience... or here, in fact, as his distraction allows King and Titus to jump them. Roderick Strong is ironically the man to run Aries off allowing the match to start. Not much heat for this one, which is just standard tag fare. Cross gets in one big dive but then gets pinned by the blockbuster/powerbomb combo. Aries has aligned himself with winners, see.

Bryan Danielson vs Mike Quackenbush - Danielson cuts a backstage promo beforehand saying how he loves matches where his opponent is testing his athleticism as opposed to trying to hurt him like Bison Smith, and that's what Quackenbush is giving him - but that he's better. Nice. Of course, that means we get happy, smiling Danielson here, but we also get hold for hold wrestling a go go. Thankfully, this one is heavily mat based, as some of Quack's flippy lucha armdrag stuff doesn't do that much for me, it all blends together and seems very low impact. However, Danielson wins with the small package out of nowhere at 16:40, kinda abruptly ending a striking sequence just when it looked like they might go to a higher gear. Nice match, but nothing more.

Jerry Lynn vs Brent Albright vs Claudo Castagnoli - Poor Lynn is dragged into the feud from hell here, and even worse, forced to tap out when Claudio breaks up Brent's Crowbar on him, dumps Albright to the floor and uses the Crowbar on Lynn himself. 11 minutes of mostly painful, disjointed stuff here, especially with Albright and Claudio.

Jimmy Jacobs and Brodie Lee vs Tyler Black and Necro Butcher in a Falls Count Anywhere match is actually next up, as the DVD case lists the matches in the wrong order. The obligatory trip into the crowd here only highlights how small the crowd is, albeit hot for being up close with the action. Dave Prazak hilariously bails out on commentary mid-match because "they're coming this way!!" and Lenny Leonard stays on solo. I guess DP needed a toilet break mid recording or something. Fifteen minutes of standard AOTF brawling fare here, for the most part. The FCA stip doesn't end up being of any relevence, as Black gets waffled with a chair when he looks to hit Jacobs with the Phoenix Splash, and falls unconscious or something into the End Time giving the AOTF team the victory. The crowd farts on the finish, and it's not really relevent to anything.

Austin Aries vs Roderick Strong is billed as "Former Partners Collide" by Bobby Cruise's ring introductions, even though it's been over two years at this point since Roddy dumped Aries to form the No Remorse Corps which itself has been disbanded for some time. The resulting feud was always something I dreaded, as they didn't have much chemistry when put opposite each other at the end of the 2005 Survival of the Fittest, and most of their 2007 matches were similar, though I think the PPV match at "Undeniable" was pretty good. The main difference here is that Aries is now the heel, and Strong can use his explosive combos better as the face, which works a lot more from a character perspective. So, while this still isn't a great athletic match, it's much more watchable wrestling overall. They get TEN MINUTES of mileage out of Strong not getting to hit a single chop or backbreaker, without becoming boring, which deserves credit. Unfortunately, the finish is all booking, as Strong looks to force Aries to tap to the Boston Crab, Rhett Titus and Kenny King run out and Strong breaks the hold to deal with them, only to turn into the corner dropkick-kick to the face-brainbuster combo at 15:40.

KENTA and El Generico vs Nigel McGuinness and Davey Richards is a bizarre mix of the next night's World and Tag title matches billed as a Dream Partner bout. Of course, Davey facing Generico always makes sense, Generico has faced Nigel for the title three times, and Davey had the KENTA protege thing going in 2006. This near twenty minute bout has flashes of good to great, but the crowd being so small and fairly quiet for the most part does it no favours. After a good opening half with Generico being worked over, and some nice but short exchanges with KENTA and Davey, the second half stutters along, not helped by Nigel somehow re-injuring the left bicep he tore right after winning the title in late 2007. That's not good going with the already injured right bicep. In the end, KENTA polishes Nigel off with the Go 2 Sleep and this completely missable show is thankfully over.

The DVD runs just 2 hours, 18 minutes for the main show, and has no redeeming match. There are two bonus matches, but pre-show affairs pitting Brandon Morino vs Shiima Xion and Grizzly Redwood and Alex Payne vs Tony Kozina and Brandon Day (the latter coming complete with Bison Smith run in of destruction and Danielson making the save) only add an extra sixteen minutes of completely skippable content. Buy something else.