Official ROH Discussion Thread

alexander

• Paid Members

Super agent Larry Sweeney has just pulled a major power play. Sweeney says he will hold Chris Hero out of ROH until ROH officials recognize the Intergender Heavyweight Tag Team Championship Of The World. Sweeney has already negotiated to send Hero overseas to Japan and Europe. Hero is now off all upcoming shows. Sweeney has also jacked up the price on Daniel Puder to where he is out of ROH's league. Sweeney is really putting the pressure on ROH officials. We'll have more in next week's ROHwrestling.com Newswire.

Looks like the first consequence of the financial restructuring ... instead of just giving it the fans straight though, more kayfabe bullshit courtesy of Gabe

No. That's what you do when things go tits up in wrestling; you work an angle. ROH is much more frustrating when they shoot online, like the situation where they refused to let Gibson drop a fall on another show when he was champ. It's an opportunity to work something, not the time to go on the internet with your serious voice.

• Paid Members

No. That's what you do when things go tits up in wrestling; you work an angle. ROH is much more frustrating when they shoot online, like the situation where they refused to let Gibson drop a fall on another show when he was champ. It's an opportunity to work something, not the time to go on the internet with your serious voice.

Hmmm, I disagree

• Paid Members

As Hero's already announced on the NOAH tour, meaning he's missing some shows anyway, and Puder was never really going to deliver in-ring at this point, this makes perfect sense. Hero's been doing the same routine for a few months now, and lost his World title shots, so a short while away will freshen him up and allow him to make an impact when he returns. Plus it adds heat on Sweeney, who presumably will be sticking around.

• Paid Members

I guess I prefer straightforward truth, but that doesn't mean that said truth can't be worked into an angle itself. For instance, Sweeney comes out and announces that "from what I read and hear, this companies too piss-poor to be able to afford a talent like Chris Hero. So I've advised him to head off to Japan."

• Paid Members

A Joey Matthews blog as part of the Age of the Fall angle...

"Thursday, January 31, 2008To whom it may inspire,This is one man's story- mine.Moreso than any wrestler on the Ring of Honor roster, I have climbed higher, achieved more, and fallen farther.Nearly a decade on the independents.A rise to become a bonafide superstar in the professional wrestling industry.A world champion 3 times over who gained respect of his peers while plying his trade on 6 continents, hundreds of thousands of dollars, magazine covers, action figures, video games, t.v. commercials, and prestige of which i could only dream.And I lost it all.And it was all my fault.I suppose I was too immature to handle the success I achievedThe well-informed die-hard fans of ROH have heard the rumors. "Joey's life is in shambles", "Joey has personal issues", "Joey has demons", "Joey showed up in 'no condition to perform'".That's the thing about rumors, they're usually true. In this case, they were.3 drug overdoses, 7 car wrecks, a 5 month stay in drug & alcohol rehabilitation, and countless broken hearts along the way, including my own.My former employer did everything they could for me. They gave me chance after chance after chance.I did this to myself.I am a grown man, and when you are a grown man, you make your own decisions, you don't place blame on your environment, or anything else for that matter. You admit when you're wrong.I have made mistakes.I can tell you that I am standing on my own two feet today, clean & sober.I'll tell you why.I answered the call.It was Jimmy Jacobs.This benevolent individual had something I needed to hear.Jimmy said for once in my troubled career, there was a choice that could save me.Jimmy said my world as I knew it had become a den of iniquity.Jimmy said there's only one road to freedom, one road to redemption, and one road back to the land of the living for souls like ours.That road is being paved by The Age of the Fall.If that wasn't enough to draw me to the AotF, he continued..... There are no activation fees or background checks. The only requirement is a willingness to rise above what will inevitably fall.That was music to my ears. For, I have had all I've wanted of alot of things I've had, and a whole helluva lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad. And the AotF are like-minded.We, in the AotF, are the practitioners of an agenda-free agenda.I, along w/ my brothers & sisters in arms (Jimmy, Tyler, Necro, Lacey, & Allison), immerse ourselves so completely in our cause, and the truth it conveys, that those in the audience who are rigorously honest w/ themselves can scarcely avoid becoming similarly involved.I want the readers to be clear on this.This is NOT lip service.This is NOT a way for me to "get over" on you.This IS the truth.If you don't listen, it is your fault.The road is being paved....... Which road are you traveling?-Joey Matthews"

I guess I prefer straightforward truth, but that doesn't mean that said truth can't be worked into an angle itself. For instance, Sweeney comes out and announces that "from what I read and hear, this companies too piss-poor to be able to afford a talent like Chris Hero. So I've advised him to head off to Japan."

That makes no sense though, why would ROH admit to not being able to afford a not-exactly-enormous name like Chris Hero? This is them finally being clever and working something they have no control over to give it a positive spin, and like LL says it makes a great deal more sense than shooting on your fan forum. It gets even more heat on Sweeney too, who's the best heel manager in years and years.

• Paid Members

Well, professional wrestling's certainly the best place to come for that.

YOU MEAN IT'S ALL A WORK?!?!?!?! *Gasp*I dunno, I can see where people are coming from with the "let's have fun with an angle" thing, but after having had the companies latest financial setbacks dissected in great detail on the ROH messageboard for the past few days, its kinda hard to swallow.

why would ROH admit to not being able to afford a not-exactly-enormous name like Chris Hero

Yes, but in the "Storyline", Chris Hero IS an enormous name Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter

YOU MEAN IT'S ALL A WORK?!?!?!?! *Gasp*
His quite reasonable point was, if you're looking for reality and the truth from your entertainment, then wrestling is a uniquely bad place to go.

I dunno, I can see where people are coming from with the "let's have fun with an angle" thing, but after having had the companies latest financial setbacks dissected in great detail on the ROH messageboard for the past few days, its kinda hard to swallow.

why would ROH admit to not being able to afford a not-exactly-enormous name like Chris Hero

Yes, but in the "Storyline", Chris Hero IS an enormous name
Re: the first point, I'm an ROH fan and don't go on their messageboards. I'd hazard a guess a majority of their fans don't go on their messageboard. Whether Chris Hero is an enormous name in storyline or not, it's not like they're saying they have to pay him $50,000 an appearance or anything like that. There's no point saying they can't afford him as part of the storyline as it makes ROH look bush league. Seeing as you disagree, how would you spin this to benefit ROH?

• Paid Members

YOU MEAN IT'S ALL A WORK?!?!?!?! *Gasp*
His quite reasonable point was, if you're looking for reality and the truth from your entertainment, then wrestling is a uniquely bad place to go.

I dunno, I can see where people are coming from with the "let's have fun with an angle" thing, but after having had the companies latest financial setbacks dissected in great detail on the ROH messageboard for the past few days, its kinda hard to swallow.

Yes, but in the "Storyline", Chris Hero IS an enormous name
Re: the first point, I'm an ROH fan and don't go on their messageboards. I'd hazard a guess a majority of their fans don't go on their messageboard. Whether Chris Hero is an enormous name in storyline or not, it's not like they're saying they have to pay him $50,000 an appearance or anything like that. There's no point saying they can't afford him as part of the storyline as it makes ROH look bush league. Seeing as you disagree, how would you spin this to benefit ROH?
Hmmm. Give me a couple of hours to think about it.

• Paid Members

Ok, how using the money thing as a lever to turn McGuinness full blown heel? It works like this. Cary Silkin comes out at the start of the show, and cuts the following promo :

"I just want to take this opportunity to briefly address the rumours that have been circulating about Ring of Honor's financial status. In no way shape or form is ROH in danger of going about of business or becoming insolvent. However, we don't have a Dixie Carter backing us meaning we can make a continual loss. Therefore, in order to keep turning a profit, we might have to cut back on talent expenses slightly, but not to a degree that will harm the product. You can still expect to see the best wrestling action here in ROH. Thanks for you time, and lets get on with the action!!"

Fans appaud, Silkin goes to exit the ring. McGuinness' music hits. He comes out, Silkin proffers microphone to him. McGuinness snatches mike, and shoves down Silkin. Silkin quickly rools out of the ring, shocked look on face etc.

"That was a very nice puff piece sunshine, now let me clue these people in on what's really the state of play. In 2007, Nigel McGuinness became one of the top wrestlers in the world. That is an undisputed fact. Now I could have gone to any promotion I chose - and I had offers, believe me. But I chose to sign a contract with ROH, because they guarenteed me a certain number of dates a year. Now I'm being told that I'm going to be left off certain shows? This is the final straw. I'm sick to the back teeth with this company. I've bled, worked through injuries, sacraficed myself in a million untold ways for ROH, and what thanks do I get? I get sniped at by a bunch of internet smart marks, including that glorified dirt sheet writer Dave Meltzer, and now this? Well I tell you what. You want to mess around with Nigel McGuinness? Well Nigel McGuinness is done playing. I'm the Ring of Honor champion. That means that essentially, this is my company. So now, I defend this title when I want, and if I feel like it. You people will see a title defence once a month - if you're lucky. And also..."

At this point someone interrupts - but who? I'm thinking a fresh opponent is needed, so Jack Evans comes out.

Nigel : "This had better be good Sonny Jim, because I am really not in the mood"

Jack (apologies if this promo is off kilter, I don't speak whigger very well) "Yo dawg. Sounds like you need a chill pill man. You see, the way me and the Squad see things, its like this - where there's chaos, there's opportunity. And if you be tired of holding that title, I'll be more than happy to relieve you of it."

Nigel : "Sonny, when I do deceide to make a title defence, it'll be against someone who's earnt it. Now piss off out of it before I lose my temper."

Jack - "Then how about a bit of non title action? When I pin yo ass, then you give me my shot?"

Nigel : "I could use a little cardio workout. Alright Vanilla Ice, I'll beat you tonight."

So Evans beats Nigel non title with a roll up or something, and you've got a ready made program with the Vulture Squad.

Best I can do at the mo for ideas, I'm trying to get m PhD app sorted!!

Edited by Dearly Devoted Dexter