Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

you can't really get carried away with the win for Harrison, he beat guys he should handily beat. But the guy finally didn't crumble. He was having a rough time in the final mainly because his opponent was brawling (and headbutting), but in all fairness to Harrison he didn't panic, he held on then finally landed a crushing left hand. I was quite surprised at how humble Harrison was after the victory too, made a nice change.

Danny Williams has a nightmare! that's gotta be the end for him.

Just got done watching Prize Fighter from the weekend, and have to say that I wasn't at all impressed by Audley Harrison.

I was impressed by Coleman Barrett however, and hope to see some more of him in the future.

I can't see any info on William's retirement, but I do know the title has been taken from him. I'm surprised he even entered this tournament. He was the British Champion, so surely he shouldn't see himself having to win a tournament?

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see where Harrison goes from here.

• Paid Members

i was impressed with Harrison. I thought the commentary team, especially Jim Watt were incredibly harsh on him. He didn't get involved in brawls he just waiting and counter punched perfectly against much less superior boxers. His opponents only chance were to get in there and brawl with Audley, rough him up. Barrett did a great job of this in round 1 of their fight. But Audley's superior skill got him through, i thought it was a great performance. He needed to win it, and he did.

oh, and try going on youtube to see David Tua's fight over the weeekend, devastating.

oh, and try going on youtube to see David Tua's fight over the weeekend, devastating.

You're not wrong there. That fight shouldn't have went past that second knock down.

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the Showtime Super Six tournament, which starts on October 17th, featuring our very own Carl Froch;

What
Edited by hardcore_harry

• Paid Members
i was impressed with Harrison. I thought the commentary team, especially Jim Watt were incredibly harsh on him. He didn't get involved in brawls he just waiting and counter punched perfectly against much less superior boxers. His opponents only chance were to get in there and brawl with Audley, rough him up. Barrett did a great job of this in round 1 of their fight. But Audley's superior skill got him through, i thought it was a great performance. He needed to win it, and he did.

That's just Jim Watt for you though. Harrison didn't fight the "Prizefighter" way so they criticized him.

It's a complete joke that Jim Watt was on Harrison's case for most of the night - especially when Audley was the only one actually boxing instead of rough-house brawling.

That's just Jim Watt for you though. Harrison didn't fight the "Prizefighter" way so they criticized him.

It's a complete joke that Jim Watt was on Harrison's case for most of the night - especially when Audley was the only one actually boxing instead of rough-house brawling.

When you declare that you could win the British title on your debut, wrangle a deal for your first few fights which will pay you more than most fighters earn in their entire careers and then proceed to be utterly shit you are destined to get it in the neck for your entire career. One way or another Watt was going to go after Harrison on Friday, how he performed had no effect on that, Watt just thinks he's a cunt. And, to be fair, he is.

As for the tournament itself - the guy with a jab beat seven guys who didn't seem to know what one was. No great acheivement.

Edited by Joe_the_Lion

I have to admit, I was rather confused by Williams and Harrisons inclusion in this tournament.

I was always under the impression that these tournaments were aimed at throwing a couple of predominantly unknown fighters into the public eye, hopefully creating some new "stars"?

Danny Williams was in a lose/lose situation here. He was the British champion. Surely a tournament like this was supposed to create a challenger to his title?

As for Harrison, I still can't say i'm impressed by him beating a few guys that he should handily defeat nine times out of ten anyway.

To top it all off, he looked as though he didn't want to be there in his final fight with Barrett, managing to pull through in the second round after losing the first.

Sure, it was an impressive knock-out in round two, but he was facing a 25/1 underdog who's never boxed over 6 rounds, who's last fight was a points victory over a guy sporting a 6-26 record.

If domestic level is what Harrison is aiming at, then fine, he deserves credit and a bash at the British title, but it's not, is it?

Saying "All roads lead to a world title so I want to do whatever gets me to a world title the quickest way possible" after winning a tournament like the one he did on Friday is a joke, and it's statements like this that make people laugh.

Seriously, can anyone see him giving either of the Klitschko brothers a problem?

The sad thing is Harrison could get a world title fight. If Haye wins and Harrison can get some kind of credible result against someone with a name then it wouldn't shock me if someone threw some cash in the direction of a Haye/Harrison voluntary defence at a medium sized statdium somewhere in the UK.

The sad thing is Harrison could get a world title fight. If Haye wins and Harrison can get some kind of credible result against someone with a name then it wouldn't shock me if someone threw some cash in the direction of a Haye/Harrison voluntary defence at a medium sized statdium somewhere in the UK.

The reason I couldn't see that happening if Haye beats Valuev is that the Americans have been freaking out about not having a heavyweight champion.

If Haye wins, the US promoters will be all over it, lining up fights with US based fighters.

Thats if a unification bout isn't on the cards with one of the Klitschko brothers.

The reason I couldn't see that happening if Haye beats Valuev is that the Americans have been freaking out about not having a heavyweight champion.

If Haye wins, the US promoters will be all over it, lining up fights with US based fighters.

Thats if a unification bout isn't on the cards with one of the Klitschko brothers.

If the right kind of fights can be lined up for Haye he's be better off fighting in the States but if the wonderful world of boxing politics makes getting those matches tricky it could well be that fighting Fraudley would turn out to be his best available payday as a first fight after winning the title.

But as you say if he gets offered either a unifcation fight or decent looking bout against an American opponent then Harrison won't get a look in.

Harrions would look stunning for the first 60 seconds throwing the jab and acting like he's Ali. Then Haye would slip one, land a couple of shots and big Audley would switch to looking for a way out of there as quickly as possible. I'd be surprised if it went past the 3rd to be honest.

Harrison is an amateur. He still boxes like he's trying to get 3 out of 5 judges to press a button and, more importantly, he still hasn't adapted to the fact that in the pro game sometimes you tend to get hit properly no matter how much you try to avoid it.

Edited by Joe_the_Lion

• Paid Members
Nathan Cleverley fights on Sky Sports 2 tonight at 10. Cleverley is probably the most excting new fighter in the country, his last 5 fights or so have looked spectacular.

Cleverley won in eight. I went out after work, got drunk and forgot to record the fight. I really wanted to see it as well. I've been impressed with Cleverley every time I've seen him fight. What's more Courtney Fry, who was his opponent last night, went to the same school as me.

According to the piece about the fight on the BBC website Fry didn't get owned. That's good. Fry was a pretty good amateur. He does have a technical base. It seems he was able to use that base, and his experience, to not get overwhelmed.