Boxing Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
I'm tempted to get this show and I never order boxing events, normally. It's UFC the same night so theres some decision making to be made. I know Primetime repeat shows for awhile, will they replay all the fights or will that just be the live version only? If they replay every fight, I might just record UFC instead and catch a repeat of the boxing

Nah mate, I think it's fairly safe to say that they will be showing the whole card for the repeat showings. That's what Sky always do, and I'm sure that this card on PrimeTime will be no different, especially as the show is being billed as "Star Power", and a multi-site telecast, with the emphasis on Mayweather Vs Ortiz, of course, but it would be very silly of them to only show the Main Event for the repeat showings. :thumbsup:

Edited by Taylorslade

• Paid Members

Few new fights

Tyson Fury vs Nick Firtha (Sep 17th)

James Toney vs Denis Lebedev (Nov 5th)

Kevin Mitchell vs Brandon Rios (Dec 10th)

Vic Darchinyan vs Anselmo Moreno (Dec)

oh and Audley Harrison is gonna be on the next Strictly Come Dancing. Fuck me. Apparently they asked Eubank but he said no.

Few new fights

Tyson Fury vs Nick Firtha (Sep 17th)

James Toney vs Denis Lebedev (Nov 5th)

Kevin Mitchell vs Brandon Rios (Dec 10th)

Vic Darchinyan vs Anselmo Moreno (Dec)

oh and Audley Harrison is gonna be on the next Strictly Come Dancing. Fuck me. Apparently they asked Eubank but he said no.

article-1315323512912-0DBCDDB800000578-219146_466x643.jpg

• Paid Members

:laugh: oh Fraudley what are you doing? Bet he'll still lose this aswell. Then again he showed some pretty slick dancing skills in the 4 rounds vs Haye. That's about all he did do.

Seriously good luck to him. I'd have loved to have seen Eubank on there though, would have been comedy gold that.

A while back I wanted to see Eubank and Benn and their wives on Celeb Wife Swap too, just to stir that feud up again. The meeting at the end would have been gold. Eubank's wife fucking off and leaving him cocked that one up though

• Paid Members
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/14818719.stm

Exactly what boxing needs more of!

The thing is, Pacquiao has his own record out in the Phillipines, and he takes this whole singing thing very seriously. Even though he's shit.

Harrison on Strictly Come Dancing? I can just picture Frank Warren's column on saturday, full of "Audley and the BBC" gags.

Here's a good article which I came across, in which Bernard Hopkins, Felix Trinidad and Don King reliving their experiences of being just blocks away from the WTC on 9/11. Of course, the two 160-pounders were scheduled to fight on Sept.15 at Madison Square Garden, in a fight of massive importance, both commercially and historically.

Three of the most prominent men in boxing had New York City on their minds the morning the Twin Towers came down.

Middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins was in the city and desperately scrambling to find a way out.

Promoter Don King was in Ohio determined to get to New York. And Felix Trinidad felt like a prisoner in the city, unable to leave despite his fervent desire to head home to Puerto Rico.

The terrorist attacks sent them scrambling in different directions, their lives intertwined but their actions disparate.

Hopkins was 36 years old, and, despite holding at least one middleweight title belt continuously for more than six years, was still largely an unknown. He was perceived as a brooding ex-con, known as much for his feuds with promoters than for his marvelous boxing skills which, to that point, had carried him to 12 consecutive successful title defenses.

He was in New York because he'd reached the finals of the Middleweight Championship Series by routing Keith Holmes five months earlier. He was to meet Trinidad, the charismatic, power-punching Puerto Rican, on Sept. 15, 2001, at Madison Square Garden for the Sugar Ray Robinson Trophy and supremacy in boxing's deep 160-pound division.

This was, unquestionably, Trinidad's show. He was a 3-1 favorite and the darling of both King and New York's large Puerto Rican population. Trinidad, 28 at the time, was 40-0 with 33 knockouts and one of the top two or three attractions in the sport.

He was so gifted, and such a big ticket seller, that King would croon the old Manhattans' song, "Shining Star," to Trinidad at news conferences, to the delight of those who heard him.

Trinidad, who only two years earlier had scored the biggest victory of his career by outpointing Oscar De La Hoya in a welterweight title unification bout in Las Vegas, had reached the finals by blowing out William Joppy in his opening-round match.

Four days before the fight, both boxers were in New York, with numerous public appearances on their schedules to promote the bout.

Hopkins had completed a jog in Central Park and returned to his suite in the luxurious St. Regis Hotel. He was planning to take a shower and get on with his day.

The main television in his suite was tuned to a news channel and, as he walked past, Hopkins noticed a building on fire. It was a little after nine in the morning. He didn't pay it much mind, thinking, as he was nearly constantly, of the fight and how he would win it. He didn't stop to watch the television. His clothes were dank and uncomfortable. He wanted to get them off and get into a shower as soon as he could.

When he went into the bedroom and began to undress, another television was on.

Hopkins looked at the TV and saw a plane fly directly into one of the towers at the World Trade Center. The voices on the television began shrieking. There was a commotion in the other room. Hopkins was slated to go to a tiny gym near the World Trade Center to train later that day. He knew instantly that he wouldn't be training.

"You see that and you see that this is big, that it's very serious," Hopkins said. "Of course, you can't really think about boxing at a time like that. This was the fight that I had worked my whole life to get, and I knew

Edited by Taylorslade

• Paid Members
Fucks sake how many pullouts now is that. This is like the 3rd opponent for Morales to pull out in the last couple of months. Wonder who they could get to step in now on this notice?

I've heard Barrera's been in the gym....

• Paid Members

Well I have heard that he has been training, but I didn't mean that there is a serious chance he will be the replacement at all. However, I'm being serious when I say that that's what I would do if I were looking for a replacement like they are now. The fact that it would be placed on a stacked card at the last minute would be a blessing, because if it ends up a bad fight then people won't grumble and everyone could say they done their best. However, if it was a great fight (which it probably would be, aside from their history, but they have both deteriorated to the point where a slug fest would be odds on), then it could turn out a great night with great bonus on there.

And it's a Mexican holiday, which is one of the things this card is being sold on over there, so what better....

• Paid Members

I would argue that it's better for them to do it in a situation like this than if they were to promote it for months like they would if it were on it's own show, because if it's a duff then it's not much lost.

Initially I thought that they would've offered the Morales fight to Anthony Crolla who was the original opponent for him, but I think he has other plans for that show.

Edited by Taylorslade

• Paid Members
Do you think they would put a fight like Barrera/Morales on an undercard? I'd love to see it but I'd imagine they'd be greedy and try to sell it as a seperate PPV

Well normally I would say that they wouldn't do it, but with the circumstances the way they are, Mexican holiday and the stuff I've mentioned, they have a massive opportunity to take advantage of. If they done it, and it was a great fight, then there would be a great buzz surrounding it and that would rub off on everyone involved and that's what you want when showing new stars like Alvarez and Ortiz, aswell as old favourites like Morales, Barrera and Mayweather.