DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

This film does not live up to the original, but then again NONE of the sequels did... none of them came even closes.

You obviously haven't seen the hidden classic Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch which I personally think is the scariest movie I have ever seen.
You're right. Thats the only one I haven't seen.

Rob Zombie is making the next Halloween movie, which is set to be a remake of the first film. Interesting.

No, its going to be a prequel I think.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, in an jaw-dropping ending scene we cut to a game shop and see that the PS2 version has been released and people are buying it!!! What a clever twist, I bet the writer gave himself a big pat on the back for that fucking masterstroke.

Isn’t that kind of the alternative ending of Evil Dead 3? So it’s not even original…

Well, in an jaw-dropping ending scene we cut to a game shop and see that the PS2 version has been released and people are buying it!!! What a clever twist, I bet the writer gave himself a big pat on the back for that fucking masterstroke.

Isn

Isn’t that kind of the alternative ending of Evil Dead 3? So it’s not even original…
I thought there was only one alternate ending for Army Of Darkness. There's Ash waking up in the future, and Ash in a supermarket...
But one of them is to do with the book being mass produced and sold, isn’t it? Or am I going nuts?

A Love Song For Bobby Long

Following her mother's death, Purslane Will (Scarlett Johansson) returns to her home town, looking to reclaim her childhood house. However, it hasn't been left solely to Purslane, but also to two of the mother's friends; Bobby Long (John Travolta) and Lawson Pines (Gabriel Macht).

This film has an interesting and rather original story. It takes the time to tell it well and there is very close attention to detail, which definitely results in an engaging experience. A Love Song For Bobby Long is primarily character-driven and succeeds because of how effectively it establishes and develops their personas.

John Travolta is terrific in this film. Without a doubt, his performance in A Love Song For Bobby Long is the best that he's given in years. It makes me want to forgive him for Battlefield Earth. Scarlett Johansson and Gabriel Macht are both decent in their roles, too, but this movie belongs to Travolta.

A Love Song For Bobby Long is wonderfully directed. Additionally, the soundtrack fits perfectly and is pivotal to the moving tale.

My only criticisms of are that it needs to be more entertaining in certain places and that it drags slightly towards the end. Overall, though, it's a decent film.

Edited by Van_Dammer

Gozu

Gangster film that starts off strange and just gets more strange. Story's a basic "gangster going crazy so his gang wants rid of him" kind of thread.... throw in a pigment lacking crazy, a strange rest stop, a lactating hotel owner and a very freakish ending.... well... it's just strange and strange some more.

In fact it seems to be building pace as a really good thriller before things go all odd....

Click to Show/Hide

found myself second guessing so many times before working out... "oh, it's just fucked" instead of having any basis in realism.

Still if you like Takashi Miike then you'll probably get your kicks out of it! :)

Edited by DJ Stevie C

DJ Stevie C, regarding Gozu...

MAJOR SPOILERS

Click to Show/Hide

Although extremely bizarre, it's not an entirely fucked up film. It does actually make some sense.

The 'cow' and the woman from the hotel are like mother figures, desperately trying to nurture Minami in Ozaki's absence. In both Gozu and Visitor Q, Miike explores the theme of motherhood and uses milk to do so.

In its entirety, Gozu can be perceived as the story of Minami's repressed homosexuality. Ozaki is like a mentor to him. Due to the yakuza (gangster) surroundings and its norms, Minami simply cannot come to terms with his attraction towards Ozaki. Blurring the line between reality and fantasy, Minami 'recreats' Ozaki as a female. At the very end of the film, Ozaki is essentially reborn in another sense as he separates from the female version. This illustrates how Minami has come to terms with his sexuality as the female form of Ozaki no longer appeals to him or at least coexists with the male form.

Edited by Van_Dammer

He watches more obscure film than me and im a Media Production student :s

Actually, I've just finished a Media course...As for the obscure and disturbing films, whether people'll admit it or not, we're fascinated by them. Movies like Saw wouldn't have been huge successes otherwise. Think about it; when a film is banned, do people adhere to that classification? No, they try find a copy of it.Besides, I watch plenty of 'normal' films, too. :) Edited by Van_Dammer

• Paid Members

Can I ask what your sources are for films? I watch a fair amount of films, obtained from various sources, but my turn over is nowhere close to yours and DJM's. So yeah: do you buy, use a service similar to screenselect, newsgroups, torrents, dodgy guy on market stall? I be curious.