DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

Yesterday I watched former Nickelodeon duo Kenan and Kel's film Good Burger. I was expecting complete nonsense even though I loved the series and was pleasantly surprised at what un folded before my eyes. It was a funny, inoffensive film that kept me entertained all the way. Damn I miss those two.. :love:

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a couple of other films I've watched over the past couple of weeks...

Comedian

A documentary on the return to stage of Jerry Seinfeld and an extremely arrogant upcoming comedian Orny Adams. Anything with Jerry is really funny and really interesting as you get to see the mental agony these guys go through, anything with Orny is annoying and funny as well.

8/10

Bram Stoker's Dracula

A huge big budget film based on the original book. Quite interesting and a great cast with Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder especially good. Keanu Reeves sucks out all the life out of every single scene he's in. Didn't find it that great as the story was very choppy and didn't hold much of my attention. Great looking though.

5/10

East is East

First time I watched it I didn't think it was that good or that funny, watching it a second time was much better and it was much funnier. Can't be bothered to write much more about this. Mildly entertaining.

7/10

Mindhunters

A very good film, which is great fun to watch and very entertaining. The movie has a good and very interesting story, some good plot twists (keeping the viewer guessing who the killer is throughout), and good set-pieces. The film also has some great death scenes, good special effects and make-up effects, and a great final couple of action scenes, but the ending doesn

• Paid Members

Bram Stoker's DraculaA huge big budget film based on the original book. Quite interesting and a great cast with Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder especially good. Keanu Reeves sucks out all the life out of every single scene he's in. Didn't find it that great as the story was very choppy and didn't hold much of my attention. Great looking though.

They actually change alot of stuff from the original book. Like the whole, she falls in love with Dracula plot that drives the entire film is not in the book. In the scene in the movie where she is willingly drinking Dracula's blood so that she can be undead with him forever...yeah, in the book Dracula sneaks into her room and forces her into drinking his blood while she begs God to save her.

Bram Stoker's DraculaA huge big budget film based on the original book. Quite interesting and a great cast with Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder especially good. Keanu Reeves sucks out all the life out of every single scene he's in. Didn't find it that great as the story was very choppy and didn't hold much of my attention. Great looking though.

They actually change alot of stuff from the original book. Like the whole, she falls in love with Dracula plot that drives the entire film is not in the book. In the scene in the movie where she is willingly drinking Dracula's blood so that she can be undead with him forever...yeah, in the book Dracula sneaks into her room and forces her into drinking his blood while she begs God to save her.
I read somewhere that it went back to the original source material and based the film on that (that being the book) and didn't just revamp the more well known Dracula tale, I haven't read the book mind so I guess you're right.

Corpse Bride

A good Tim Burton effort, where he follows his trend of casting Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter, as a jittery groom and a dead woman respectively. And, by jings, she's thinks they're married! Apparent nepotism aside, the voices were well suited as was the notable score by Danny Elfman.

• Paid Members

Maniac Cop - cult classic movie starring Bruce Campbell, this comes off as a cross between an 80's detective movie and some crazy as b-horror, this is great stuff...love the suspense music through pretty much the whole thing, bad ass fucking movie.

The Return of The Incredible Hulk - damn! this brought back some memories, i used to love the origional Hulk show, aint seen it in well over 10 years (possibly 15), i stuck it on and the music hit and it all came flooding back! this is a tv film made after the show finished, absolutely brilliant...Thor is in this too and he kicks ass! you can't beat the old 80's tv shows. i want more!!!

Edited by Ebb

• Paid Members

Hitman's Run - bog-standard action/thriller starring Eric Roberts (the main reason i checked this out). Pure made-for-tv trash, but still kinda entertaining...this is the kinda movie you find on tv late and night and for some reaon keep watching. Cliche' Gangsters, one decent car chase, shit dialogue, and some piss-poor action sequences...if their the things you like, check it.

• Paid Members

Hotel RwandaWonderful film, based on the true story of the Rwandan genocide in 1994 and centered around a man who managed to save 1000+ people in his hotel. I wasn't too aware of the background to the genocide and the problems surronding it (I was only 6/7 at the time), but it was explained during the film and made it easy to follow (unlike Munich) and I became engrossed in Don Cheadle's quest. Don Cheadle's performance is classic and I was pleased that a film like this was made.9/10

An intresting bit of trivia, the scene where Joaquin Phoenix has snuck out to film some footage, the footage he gets, of a guy being hacked, is actual 100% real footage.
Yeah its 100% real. Its on the "Executions" video, the cover of which is below..48.jpgSendit.com link: http://www.sendit.com/video/item/7000000035848The whole scene lasts about five minutes.Just mentioning it due to the fact I've just finished watching "Hotel Rwanda" and remembered somebody mentioning that scene. Great film. Should have won a ton of Oscars.

• Paid Members

I read somewhere that it went back to the original source material and based the film on that (that being the book) and didn't just revamp the more well known Dracula tale, I haven't read the book mind so I guess you're right.
There are certain aspects of the movie that are identical to the book. Likewhen Keanu Reeves character (woteva his name is) is caught in the tower is exactly like the book and the same with Daisy turning into a vampire and the insanity of Mr. Renfield.But the love story is not in the book. The book ends with Dracula dead and everyone happy about it.

Urban Legend

An entertaining if forgettable movie, which is silly at times yet still very enjoyable on the whole. The film has an entertaining and interesting story, and some good plot twists, but it does gets a bit predictable (and obvious who the killer is) towards the end. The movie also has a good young cast (Alicia Witt, Jared Leto, Rebecca Gayheart, Tara Reid, Joshua Jackson, Michael Rosenbaum, and Danielle Harris) and the experience of Robert Englund. The film is nothing special, but it is worth watching if you are a fan of movies like Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer.

(**1/2)

Urban Legend 2

An entertaining if forgettable film, which is silly at times, but still enjoyable. The movie has an interesting story, some good plot twists, and a good young cast, but on the whole is nothing special. Like the first Urban Legend film though, if you are a fan of movies like Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer then you should enjoy this film.

(**)

Urban Legend 3

A poor film, with poor acting, poor use of CGI, an unimpressive cast, and which is predictable (with no shocks or surprises). The film has moments when it is watchable (the 2nd death scene is interesting and pretty good), but is nothing like the first two films, and feels like a low-budget DTV movie or made-for-TV movie. On the whole it seemed like the makers of the film were just trying to cash-in on the recent success and craze of supernatural films like The Ring and The Grudge.

(*)

Guest Dan Fears Satan

Switchblade Romance (France, 2003, Alexandre Aja)Switchblade is a french horror film, which loves TCM, Halloween and Fight Club(!?). I loved the gore factor, the style, the direction and the constant product placement! The basic plot is about a killer attacking this family home, and its about two women's romance they have for each other. Although being extremly entertaining the film has some major faults, the cliches, plot holes and over homage. A well made, scary and highly exciting movie. (***1/2)Elephant (America, 2003, Gus Van Sant)I think everybody knows the score on this movie now? Its based on the columbine shootings, but shot in an arty and very creative style. I believe its pretty hate or love, but after watching this movie after the recent Switchblade it was a good relief to have a great narrative to put me in a very consentrated state of wonder what was going to happen next. I'm a lover of this film, very recomended. (****)

Elephant (America, 2003, Gus Van Sant)I think everybody knows the score on this movie now? Its based on the columbine shootings, but shot in an arty and very creative style. I believe its pretty hate or love, but after watching this movie after the recent Switchblade it was a good relief to have a great narrative to put me in a very consentrated state of wonder what was going to happen next. I'm a lover of this film, very recomended. (****)

This upsets me.Elephant is the single worst film ever made. Shame on you.

Guest Dan Fears Satan

Elephant (America, 2003, Gus Van Sant)I think everybody knows the score on this movie now? Its based on the columbine shootings, but shot in an arty and very creative style. I believe its pretty hate or love, but after watching this movie after the recent Switchblade it was a good relief to have a great narrative to put me in a very consentrated state of wonder what was going to happen next. I'm a lover of this film, very recomended. (****)

This upsets me.Elephant is the single worst film ever made. Shame on you.
Lovely opened minded response! As I said its clearly a love or hate movie, and its love for me. I love battle royle and RATM too if it will help you sleep.