DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

The Village was awesome, very underrated film, made by the same people who made Signs?

I loved the schene in that film where they had the cling film hats on, LMAO.

Tin foil hats.

..Cling film, tin foil, what's the difference? lol.

Cling film wouldn't have stopped the aliens from reading their brains. :p

Good point. It was great how they were just sitting there explaining themselves. I wonder if it was supposed to be funny.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evilenko

A fictionalised account of the life and murders of Andrei Chikatilo. Unfortunately, it sucks a massive dong. Malcolm McDowell is hammier than an all-pig buffet and the script is full of over-the-top wank.

On the special features, they compared the actual news footage of Chikatilo's trial to the film. The real footage is bleak and still, years after I first saw it, disturbing. The court is crumbling, the room is half empty but has crying mothers dotted throughout it...the film version is a full room of nice, neat rows and is rubbish.

It didn't pass my ten-minute rule (if a film hasn't shown itself worthy of sticking with after 10 minutes, it's off), so I'd suggest you avoid it. There's a really interesting film made about this case, with Donald Sutherland in it, called "Suspect Zero" (I think, it's been a while since I saw it), so should Russian serial killers be your thing, go watch that instead.

• Paid Members

Masters of Horror - Homecoming - just saw my 2nd Master's of Horror dvd. This was Joe Dante's first effort in the series. The fact that this came under the 'horror' banner is a little confusing, it's like a political satire involving zombies, weird little story. It was ok, the satire in it makes the film pretty laughable as everything is a little bit cliche and over the top. I read online that's there was a lot of backlash concerning this because its so narrow minded in it's opinion of the war. True i guess, but fuck em.

As with the other Master's of Horror's disks, the dvd is excellent, loads of cool shit included, not just about the film in question but about Dante's career.

I know this is more than a little vague so i apologise but does anyone know the name of the film where where a woman takes her false eye out and uses it as a spy device, or something along those lines....someone i was talking to was on about it but couldnt remember the name so i wondered if you lot would have a inkling about what its called?

• Moderators
I know this is more than a little vague so i apologise but does anyone know the name of the film where where a woman takes her false eye out and uses it as a spy device, or something along those lines....someone i was talking to was on about it but couldnt remember the name so i wondered if you lot would have a inkling about what its called?

The pretty terrible Doomsday.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483607/

I've been watching two things. 1. Harvey Birdman:Attorney At Law and 2. Rowan Atkinson Live.

I love both of these. Rowan Atkinson is brilliant in these little sketches and they always make me smile. Harvey Birdman is something i think people will either love or depise. I really enjoy the episodes and the absurdity of it all. Birdman might be one of my favourite characters of all time.

The pretty terrible Doomsday.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0483607/

much appreciated fella!

JFK - 1991 directed by Oliver Stone and staring Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman and numerous others is a rediculously good movie that I've seen twice before but always pick up something else whenever I watch it again. I STRONGLY reccommend this film to anyone who either loves conspiricy theories on true events or just simply a bloody good detective movie, heres some info from wiki:

JFK is an American film directed by Oliver Stone. The film was released on December 20, 1991. It examines the events leading to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, and alleged subsequent cover-up, through the eyes of former New Orleans district attorney Jim Garrison (played by Kevin Costner). Garrison filed charges against New Orleans businessman Clay Shaw (Tommy Lee Jones) for his alleged participation in a conspiracy to assassinate the President. The film was adapted by Stone and Zachary Sklar from the books On the Trail of the Assassins by Jim Garrison and Crossfire: The Plot That Killed Kennedy by Jim Marrs. Stone described his fictionalized film as a "counter-myth" to the "myth" of the Warren Commission.

The film became embroiled in controversy even before it was finished filming, after Washington Post national security correspondent George Lardner showed up on the set. Based on the first draft of the screenplay, he wrote a scathing article attacking the film. Upon JFK's theatrical release many of the major newspapers in the United States of America ran editorials criticizing what they perceived as liberties that Stone took with historical facts, including the film's implication that President Lyndon B. Johnson was part of a coup d'etat to kill Kennedy. After a slow start at the box office, Stone's film gradually picked up momentum, earning over $205 million in worldwide gross. Garrison's estate subsequently sued Warner Bros. for a share of the film's profits, alleging a book-keeping practice known as "Hollywood accounting". JFK went on to win two Academy Awards and was nominated for eight in total, including Best Picture.

Cultural impact

The popularity of JFK led to the passage of The President John F. Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992 (also known as the JFK Act) and the formation of the U.S. Assassination Records Review Board. The Act was signed into law by President George H. W. Bush in late October 1992.[55] The ARRB worked until 1998. Witnesses were interviewed (some for the first time), the U.S. government purchased the Zapruder film, and previously-classified documents relating to the assassination were finally made available to public scrutiny. By ARRB law, all existing assassination-related documents will be made public by 2017

More can be read at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFK_(film)

JFK - 1991 directed by Oliver Stone and staring Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman and numerous others is a rediculously good movie that I've seen twice before but always pick up something else whenever I watch it again. I STRONGLY reccommend this film to anyone who either loves conspiricy theories on true events or just simply a bloody good detective movie...

It's about as much based on true events as "50,000 BC" was. It contains little which is verifiable truth and lots which is absolute flat-out lies.

JFK - 1991 directed by Oliver Stone and staring Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman and numerous others is a rediculously good movie that I've seen twice before but always pick up something else whenever I watch it again. I STRONGLY reccommend this film to anyone who either loves conspiricy theories on true events or just simply a bloody good detective movie...

It's about as much based on true events as "50,000 BC" was. It contains little which is verifiable truth and lots which is absolute flat-out lies.

Mortimer misses the point once again.............it's in black and white, this automatically makes it a great film. :rolleyes:

• Paid Members

Just finished watching Slumdog Millionaire, and all I can say is wow! I don't normally gush over films, but this one deserved it. It was so moving and riveting that I'm still in awe several minutes after it's finished. I can't recommend this film enough. I know it's incredibly early to say but this is gonna be hard to top for my film of the year. Just wow. Watch it, just watch it.

JFK - 1991 directed by Oliver Stone and staring Kevin Costner, Tommy Lee Jones, Gary Oldman and numerous others is a rediculously good movie that I've seen twice before but always pick up something else whenever I watch it again. I STRONGLY reccommend this film to anyone who either loves conspiricy theories on true events or just simply a bloody good detective movie,

yup its a great film got the awesome jack lemmon and walther matthau in it as well!