DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

• Paid Members

Got 'Awakenings' with Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams to watch next.

good film, its one of the forgotten classics (i dont anyone who's seen it other than me)...most inriguing thing about it is the condition of the patients im the film is a real medical condition, its fucking weird.
Its always on Sky Movies like at two in the morning, I always seem to miss it due to that.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got 'Awakenings' with Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams to watch next.

good film, its one of the forgotten classics (i dont anyone who's seen it other than me)...most inriguing thing about it is the condition of the patients im the film is a real medical condition, its fucking weird.
Yeah I've heard a lot about it. I'm in my honours year of psychology at university and one of my lecturers has been recommending the film to us. I'll most likely watch it tonight.

Antz

The oft forgotten cgi animation and from the same branch that gave you Shrek and Shark Tale, this however, is not a kids film. It actually tries to make a political and social point with Z, the worker ant, fighting against oppression in his fascist environment. All of this will go over kids heads. Yes it lacked the wonderment, humour and human touch that Toy Story has but it shouldn't be watched as a kids film, watch it as an animation and you'll find it rewarding to watch.

8/10

Underworld Evolution

Bad, just bad. Not alot of positives in the film, with poor acting, a poor script (& diologue), mostly poor CGI, a story which goes off in so many different tangents but at the same time leads to nothing (and can easily become very confusing), and mostly un-watchable action scenes. An early contender for worst film of the year!

(*)

• Paid Members

Friday Night Lights.

yeh, great film...definatly one of the most underrated of last year, one of them films that recieved excellent reviews from everyone yet still kinda slipped under the radar. One of the best sport-based movie ive ever seen.

Saw Match Point yesterday. I thought it was a good film though without spoiling it, seemed to veer off in a totally unexpected path towards the end. Still I enjoyed it as I have generally enjoyed the films Scarlett Johannson has been in, and it was good to see some quality British actors such as Brian Cox and Penelope Wilton on the big screen.

Overall i'd give it 8/10.

Also yesterday I watched Airport. As a big fan of disaster movies, I enjoyed this. I was pleasantly surprised to find that unlike other disaster movies it wasn't directly focused on just the disaster but also spent a good deal of time building up the characters and having alot going on but without making it confusing. I'd recommend it.

8/10 again.

Edited by sgmilne

Alien

Brilliant, first time I'd seen it and had such a creepy and eerie atmosphere to it and was just so impressed with it eeking out how scary and chlastrophrobic it would be, really enjoyed it.

8/10

My Beautiful Launderette

Heard a lot about this, how it was an influential British film and everything but tbh it doesn't hold up as a film structurally, by the end it was a complete mess, making not much sense and trying too hard to be political and socially important. It aimed to address racism, sexuality, bigotry, Thatcherism and a whole load of other stuff but it didn't reach its aims.

4/10

Billy Elliot

How charming and touching is this film? Strong story and realistic setting with real and engrossing characters.

9/10

I watched a copy of Hostel today (well half yesterday and half today). The first hour or so is like Eli Roth's homage to Eurotrip (and is poor), while I liked some of the last half an hour (when Roth decided he was going to actually have something happen!). It reminded me of Wolf Creek in pacing and style, with the first hour being poor (and boring), and the last 30-minutes having something happen (when the "action" occurs). When the highlight of the film is an appearence by Takeshi Miike then you know something is wrong! You feel no sympathy for any of the characters either (and with only 3 main characters, IMO there are not enough of them). There are some good twisted scenes and gore in the last 30-minutes, but on the whole the film is pretty poor and boring (if not for the last half hour, the film would have been one of the worst (horror movies) I have watched in some time!). The copy I watched was pretty dark so it is difficult to give full judgement of the film, but if films like this and Wolf Creek are the future of the horror genre then the horror genre is on the decline and in real trouble!

(*)

Edited by DJM

Mean CreekAWESOME ! AWESOME ! AWESOME ! Honestly, for me, a candidate for film of the decade so far.

Maybe I missed something (or was watching a different film), but I thought Mean Creek was mildly entertaining and interesting at times, but had no real impact for the most part, the acting ranged from acceptable to poor, and on the whole it was predictable and dull.