DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I saw a preview showing of Munich earlier. A very good (Steven Spielberg) film, but flawed. A good story, some good acting (Eric Bana is good, while Daniel Craig shows promise as being a good James Bond), and some good action scenes. The dialogue is not too good at times though, alot of the stuff in the film is too silly (for a film which I felt should have been serious), there are no characters to like or care for (and they are pretty much face-less & name-less), and it pretty much turns into Ronin alot of the time. It is also too long at 2 hours 45 minutes. It will win awards (Oscars), but I think there are films which were more deserving.(***1/2)

You lucky bugger, I'm dying to see that film, I'm a huge Spielberg fan and was very excited by the trailers I've seen for this.Has anyone seen the Da Vinci Code trailer?It was really good.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Napoleon Dynamite on DVD the other week, and was instantly thinking "this is such a great film on so many levels" whether its Napoleon himself, Uncle "livin' in '82" Rico, Rex & Starla Kwon Or Kip. I think those who don't like it where maybe expecting a Laughing out loud type of comedy rather than an observational comedy, hence their dislike for it. Rico's time machine and Rex's Dojo scenes are amongst my favourites in this film. Anyone who doesnt like it, will no doubt like American Pie style films and Friends over this great film.

• Paid Members

Anyone who doesnt like it, will no doubt like American Pie style films and Friends over this great film.

agree with everything you said there...i hate that people seem to think American Pie is the only kinda comedy movie (i aint knocking it, cause i like the movie). But i have a friend who watched Sideways after i recommended it to him and he he hated it and said it wasnt funny at all (Eurotrip is one of his favourite movies :/ ). It's kinda shit that people are one-dimensional in things like that, just cause there wasnt a spunk on food gag or something it wasnt funny to him.Sideways then goes on to be rated #1 in pretty much every movie poll going.

Ooo, I saw that earlier this week too. Fucking pathetic, agreed. I then watched Football Factory. Absolute class, shows up Green Street for the piss that it is. I highly reccomend it.

I completely disagree with that!. The Football Factory book by John King is one of the greatest books on British culture ever. In fact, the whole trilogy is superb and John King is without a doubt my favourite ever author. The film made based on it was a complete and utter let-down full with cheesey voice-overs and one dimensional characters. There was no plot linking it together and a number of scenes in the film that didn't advance the story or characters.Green Steet pisses all over the Football Factory in every way, shape and form.The only hoolie film better than Green Street is The Firm!

Shine

Just rented this from the college library and watched it today, the story is of a gifted child piano prodigy who's father is controlling and bad, so he grows up and goes off to London and plays the hardest piano piece known to man and descends into madness. Then we pick up the story as he gets older and has forgotten about music, Geoffrey Rush plays the adult and he is incredible in this. But, other than that performance I found the film dull dull dull, too much based on his growing up and I was interested in the grown up side. So I got bored and nearly fell asleep.

3/10

• Paid Members

Requiem For A DreamA good movie but the message of the film didn't really have a great impact on me. Enjoyable but the whole film is basically a set-up for them to say "Drugs are bad" and nothing more. Worth a watch but I don't think I would ever watch it again.

Requiem For A DreamA good movie but the message of the film didn't really have a great impact on me. Enjoyable but the whole film is basically a set-up for them to say "Drugs are bad" and nothing more. Worth a watch but I don't think I would ever watch it again.

A bad mistake was getting very stoned then watching that, the scene near the end I actually thought my arm was being sawn off!

• Paid Members

The Hills Have Eyes - excellent 70's Wes Craven flick, i love this kinda horror movie...inbred cannibalistic family try to take out a stranded family. All kinds of wild shit goes down, Craven was the man back in the day he made some pretty hardcore/cult flicks (then he started going all shit). This has been remade and is coming out later in the year, id like to see how it comes off.

To Live & Die In L.A.After years upon years of my Dad and Brother-In-Law telling me this was a must watch film, and especially coming from my Dad who's taste in Movies is Bible-esque - you live your life by the reviews he gives, I watched this classic 80's thriller. Starring William L Petersen (CSI), Wlliem Dafoe, John Turtoro and an appearance by former US International Goalkeeper Ian Feur's Sister, Debra, I thought "this looks like an enjoyable film" from the onset. but what got me, and I must admit, I a bastard for this, I picked up on simple things like, why would a "US Secret Service" agent be working undercover on what the Feds would do? Secondly, why did they seem so inept at Undercover work when being in the service would require you to live your life by this trade anyway? and lastly, when people get shot in the head, why do they scream "arrgghh" afterwards? wouldnt the brain have been dead before the signal could be sent to the mouth to utter such words?I know Im picking up on every detail, but for me thats what ruins films in my book. I give this one 3/5