DVD's and Films You Have Watched Recently

Guest DJM

I saw Rocknrolla today.I loved it. A great storyline with loads going on and plenty of twists and turns. It was full of plot holes in the end but these will no doubt be touched upon in the sequels. It gets a huge recommendation from me.

Quick question, and i dont mean to seem ignorant, is thisa) that Guy Ritchie movieb) and if so, is if the same geeeeezzzzerrrr gangstaaaa movie hes made countles times before?dont mean to seem ignorant, and i know I could type it online, just ermm...nows not the best time :)
Pretty much yes, but I'm a big fan of most of his work (Swept away apart) so I really enjoyed it.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Munich is an interesting film if you remember the events and want an insight into the people behind it. But it is far too long and it could stop about 20 minutes before the end.It's well done, a piece of opinionated history and very interesting, but to be honest it's not something I'd watch twice. Once was more than enough. Clear some space from the calendar and give it a view, you'll probalby work out within the first 20-30 mins if you're going to like it or not.

Went to a preview showing of Pineapple Express last night and absolutly laughed my ass off, although it way maybe 20 minutes too long. It was a very funny stoner/comedy/action flick that I'd recommend for a laugh, James Franco is suprisingly funny. Check it out if you want a stupidly funny stoner film.

Just stuck Gremlins on my iPod and watched half of it on the way to work.Was laughing so much on the way in people on the tube were sacred.The effects are nowhere near as good as I remember them (last watched it 5 years ago roughly) but damn, I love this film :DLooked up mogwai on wiki. Turns out they are oriental demons/mischeif makers :D

According to Chinese tradition, mogwai are certain demons, which often inflict harm on humans. They are said to reproduce sexually during mating seasons triggered by the coming of rain. Supposedly, they take care to breed at these times because rain signifies rich and full times ahead.The term "mo" derives from the Sanskrit "Mara",[citation needed] meaning 'evil beings', which shares a cognate with the Persian "Magi" from which the English word "magic" derives. In Hinduism and Buddhism, Mara determines fates of death and desire that tether people to an unending cycle of reincarnation and suffering. He is the source of evil and purposely leads people to sin, misdeeds and self-destruction. Meanwhile, "gui" does not necessarily mean 'evil' or demonic spirits. Classically, it simply means deceased spirits or souls of the dead. Nevertheless, in modern Chinese, it has evolved to refer usually to the dead spirits or ghosts of non-family members that may take vengeance on living humans who caused them pain when they were still living. It is common for the living to redress their sins by sacrificing money to gui by burning (usually fake) paper banknotes so that gui can have funds to use in their afterlife.Notably, the modern popular use of mogui as 'demonic' and gui as 'devils' is somewhat a consequence of Western influences as Chinese-language biblical texts translate the Satan in the Book of Job and the Greek term 'diabolos' as mogui.

Also looked up the films and it seem that 1 in 1000 are 'Gizmo' like, well adjusted and cute. The other 999 are mischevious and hate the 1 that's nice. Also says they come from out of space...Bah there goes the chances of finding them...

Dont know why I watched either of these last night, but;The Love Guru - OK, i chuckled at them playing More Than Words, thats it. Mike Myers needs to realise, Austin Powers was a different time and place, and worked on a whole, this isnt that time and place, and thus the film failed. Thankfully it was pretty short and seemed to pass quick enough, everything seemed forced and none of the jokes really worked on any level. AvoidThe Promotion - Why,o,Why did I watch this, 2 hideously over-rated main actors and a painfully slow storyline, looked at the timer on the DVD player and expected it to be close to 2 hours in, it was only 51 mins in. Theres no redeeming points about this trash, and it made the Love Guru look awesome.Managed to get about 30 minutes into Wanted and just laughed so hard (in the bad way) that I had to turn that trash off, no way I was sitting through more shite.

I saw Rocknrolla today.I loved it. A great storyline with loads going on and plenty of twists and turns. It was full of plot holes in the end but these will no doubt be touched upon in the sequels. It gets a huge recommendation from me.

Quick question, and i dont mean to seem ignorant, is thisa) that Guy Ritchie movieb) and if so, is if the same geeeeezzzzerrrr gangstaaaa movie hes made countles times before?dont mean to seem ignorant, and i know I could type it online, just ermm...nows not the best time :)
Pretty much yes, but I'm a big fan of most of his work (Swept away apart) so I really enjoyed it.
Yes, its exactly what you'd expect from a guy ritchie movie. Personally I thought it was a bit slow to get going, but by the end I was loving it. Also Superhans from Peep show was in it, he was awesome!

Watched Straightheads on Film4 last night. Better than expected, but still ropey in parts. Danny Dyer does his usual schtick, but a little better than usual. Gillian Anderson looks surprisingly hot in it too, which shocked me as much as the storyline. Very Straw Dogs too.Got Frontiers on DVD, cracking French horror. Id recommend to any one. Its by the same guys who did Haute Tension, so any one who has seen that knows what they'll get here. Nazi-zombie cannibals :thumbsup:

Watched the Wonderstuff's rocumentary ''Welcome To The Cheap Seats'' last night. A childhood favourite of mine some ten years ago, I found that the tape had been re-released on DVD and I subsequently ordered from amazon.Insane nostalgia ensued. Wonderstuff rock. 'Here Comes Everyone' stands a pretty fucking good chance of being my top tune of all time right now.

• Paid Members

I was forced to watch Devil Wears Prada today.. and I actually ended up enjoying it! Meryl Streep was awesome.I've got two films waiting to be watched.. 'Summer of Sam' and 'Curse of the Golden Flower'. Any thoughts on these??

Kicking It Old School: akin to Hot Rod, stupid film but will make you laugh in places. Way too many throwbacks and cliches and the whole plot of the film has been tarred, feathered and then beaten to death. Only watch if bored.What LaGoosh wrote on page 303:

The Strangers....it's a funny one. At times it is genuinely creepy...the "strangers" themselves have freaky masks and are played and used really well but the tension just doesn't really build. It reaches a certain point and then simmers along rather than just getting bigger and bigger. Also the ending is really anticlimatic and shit. Nothing original at all, an okay way to kill 90 minutes but with a better script and direction it could maybe have been something special.

Agreed.Not been doing much film watching as I haven't had the patience recently. Edited by Shaine

I brought the Vengeance Trilogy a few weeks ago and finally got around to watching Oldboy and Lady Vengeance this afternoon. I caught the ending of Oldboy a few months back when it was on TV so I already knew about the swerve but overall it was pretty good, the fight scenes were more realistic than most films and the plot was both compelling and engaging. Lady Vengeance was a lot more depressing than I was expecting, the scene where the parents were shown the tapes of their children being murdered was particularly sobering and disturbingly realistic. It was interesting to see a vigilante character who was more cerebral and calculating as opposed to the stereotypical glass-eating badass. Great stuff, I'd recommend it.